#608 - "Illegal Activity"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
ellgee

Post by ellgee »

edited: submitted, waiting to see if correct
Last edited by ellgee on Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lookout Bear

Post by Lookout Bear »

Alright, gang. I'd love to jump on the January nudge bandwagon! I have a lot of great ideas that are leading nowhere...
davidb

Post by davidb »

I will also join the crowd and ask for a nudge if anyone is still willing to provide one at this eleventh hour. Thanks!
damefox

Post by damefox »

Sent and sent.
Lookout Bear

Post by Lookout Bear »

damefox wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:11 amSent and sent.
Thanks! Definitely needed that nudge this week.
Eckless

Post by Eckless »

Would love to get a nudge...could anybody pass it on via private message? Thank you and much appreciated!
Eckless

Post by Eckless »

I have been sufficiently nudged...thank you to those that helped!
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

I also got the nudge that did the trick. Thanks, guys! Should have seen this one on my own, though. :oops:
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Throwing in the towel. Had some good ideas, learned a few things, but just never saw what I needed to see. Awaiting Joon's explanation at the Fiend...
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

BrianMac wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:43 am I also got the nudge that did the trick. Thanks, guys! Should have seen this one on my own, though. :oops:
Ditto. Ditto.
TMart

Post by TMart »

This was a really good one. Right off the bat I saw GO and UNDER, but didn't know what to do with them. I blacked out the G at 2 to create a 2-Across entry and came up with nothing. Then I noticed the "illegal" grid asymmetry and spent a lot of time in that rabbit hole trying to find seven letters that would put the grid back into symmetry, to no avail.

I then realized that the asymmetry probably was a result of Matt trying to key something to grid numbers, and I stumbled onto the answer without seeing the true mechanism at first. With 69 numbers in the grid and a seven letter answer, I started thinking around taking one letter per ten-number group, and started with the twos (i.e. TWOACROSS). First, the letters at each two didn't spell anything. Next, I tried blacking out all of the "2" squares to create (some) illegal across entries and see if they created valid words going down in the grid. They didn't, but the initial letters of the down words and fragments the blackouts created spelled out NO CAN DO, which was a perfect answer to the title, so I thought that had to be it without really knowing why. It was only after I submitted that I went back and found the words going across at each 2 that gave the (easier) path to the solution. Weird solve but great puzzle, and happy for the solo solve on this one, as painful as it was.