#608 - "Illegal Activity"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Laura M

#608 - "Illegal Activity"

Post by Laura M »

This week’s contest answer is a seven-letter phrase.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I'm stunned to be #3 on the leaderboard! Are people not getting the puzzles again?

(Addendum: Just to clarify, by "getting" I meant "receiving via email," since there was a problem a couple weeks ago.)
Last edited by Laura M on Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Got my email from Patreon right at noon. I have a preliminary answer, but am not totally happy with it, so I am going to continue to noodle on it.
damefox

Post by damefox »

Depends what you mean by "getting"... I have the puzzle, but I'm not getting it.
docison

Post by docison »

Mine did end up in my spam folder, but I was at lunch when the email went out anyway. #7 on the leaderboard! This one felt more like a week 3 than a week 4 to me.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

docison wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:56 pm Mine did end up in my spam folder, but I was at lunch when the email went out anyway. #7 on the leaderboard! This one felt more like a week 3 than a week 4 to me.
Well shoot. I thought this *was* week 3. No wonder I haven't solved it yet. :D
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Hmmm. Have one lead, but it's not clicking just yet. Seems like a toughy to me.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Laura M wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:11 pm I'm stunned to be #3 on the leaderboard! Are people not getting the puzzles again?

(Addendum: Just to clarify, by "getting" I meant "receiving via email," since there was a problem a couple weeks ago.)
You're just that good! Congratulations!

I've beamed up too, but way down at #21 - which still ain't bad for a week 4 for me.

I see that two people submitted wrong answers. I'd say that this one is no-doubter, so if you've got something but are not sure, you might want to keep looking.

And for those still working on it, keep at it - it is doable.
CrossedPurposes

Post by CrossedPurposes »

This one clicked quickly for me. Definitely no doubt about the right answer, either, to echo BarbaraK's point.
burak

Post by burak »

I see a couple of things that I want to build on, but I don't know how. Well, I got time I guess.
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

I liked this one. Tricky, I think it was a week 4.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I see what I need to see, just trying to figure out how to get a seven letter phrase out of it.
Heidi
Tina

Post by Tina »

Posting here for post-enlightenment. Not seeing it (yet), but still hoping to get it on my own. Does it still count as a solo solve if I only ask for good vibes, not an actual hint? LOL.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Tina wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:17 pm Posting here for post-enlightenment. Not seeing it (yet), but still hoping to get it on my own. Does it still count as a solo solve if I only ask for good vibes, not an actual hint? LOL.
In my opinion, vibes are not hints.🙂
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Tina wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:17 pm Posting here for post-enlightenment. Not seeing it (yet), but still hoping to get it on my own. Does it still count as a solo solve if I only ask for good vibes, not an actual hint? LOL.
Sending good vibes now. You'll get it! You've solved harder ones than this.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Feel like I am on the right track, but I have felt that since Friday. As a change of pace, does anyone who is in a similar state want to work as a team? I have always done these alone, but it could be an interesting change of pace (and it might put both of us out of our misery).
Hector

Post by Hector »

Whew, finally got it, and it felt like it wasn't really reasoning that got me there but more like luck. Possibly it will seem more logically inevitable when I see Matt's explanation. Neat construction, in any case.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

You can beam me up, but it's sorta like when the teleporter went on the fritz and Kirk or Spock kept getting caught half-particle-ized in between. Not a smooth ride.

It took a fairly good-sized nudge from a solver. I don't feel too guilty claiming beam-me-up rights because I had been on the right track earlier. I just wasn't quite seeing it through. The nudge put me back on the track.

Good puzzle!
damefox

Post by damefox »

Got it! Finally! I'm with Hector in sort of lucking into the mechanism. A little bit of educated guessing/fuzzy reasoning at the end there, but I'm with everyone else who says the eventual answer is a no-doubter.
burak

Post by burak »

Just got it. Wow. It's always a great idea to sleep on a meta puzzle that you're stuck on and let your subconscious (or whatever part of the brain) do the work. I kinda had the right idea but was obsessing over some rabbit holes for the past two days. One fresh look before I went to bed tonight after a 24 hour break from it and boom. Just like that.