#607 - "Initial Public Offering"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
damefox

Post by damefox »

Solved! Question: there's been various discussions about yearly prizes for the MGWCC. What are these? Matt makes no mention of them in the FAQ on his website.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Beam me up! Short trip through space for a week 3.
Heidi
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

oldjudge wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:27 pm Did everyone get their puzzle through Patreon today? I never got an email, even though I signed up last week, and had to access it from Matt’s web site.
Ah, was I just supposed to get it from the Patreon web site? Does this mean that there is no email with the puzzle from Patreon on Fridays?
I got it as an email.
Heidi
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

oldjudge wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:27 pm Did everyone get their puzzle through Patreon today? I never got an email, even though I signed up last week, and had to access it from Matt’s web site.
Ah, was I just supposed to get it from the Patreon web site? Does this mean that there is no email with the puzzle from Patreon on Fridays?
I received an email from Patreon today around noon EST. Assuming you made the switch-over early enough (i.e. not yesterday), I'd check your spam folder if you didn't receive an email.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Thanks Jeremy and Heidi. I checked my profile and the site had the wrong email address for me. Not remembering my password created a week five puzzle trying to change the email address, but I finally figured out how to do it and now hopefully all is well. The system now has my correct email address so I hopefully will get the puzzle emailed to me next Friday.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Is anyone else getting error messages when opening Matt's site this week? The format varies depending on the browser, but they reference something called crosswordnexus.com Doesn't seem to stop the page from working as I've accomplished the mission and am beaming up.

I haven't done the Patreon thing yet. Just looked like it, and I don't quite understand how the levels work. Since it's a monthly subscription, if you sign up for one of the higher levels, do you get the extra stuff every month? Or just one time? And if the latter, will people sign up for the $5 level for one month, get their pen etc, and then go back to the $3 level? Or maybe it's a once a year thing and you have to stay in the higher level for a year and then get the prize? Just curiosity as I'm just doing the basic subscription anyway.

Anyway, I gather I have to sign up and pay for one month, to get in the new system, and then the old subscription will transfer over. I've got almost two years left on that. (And I'll keep my fingers crossed that by then there will be an annual option since I really dislike monthly charges.)