#603 - "Go On In!"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Hector

#603 - "Go On In!"

Post by Hector »

One letter in this grid must change to another letter to complete the puzzle’s theme. Which letter is it, and what letter does it change to?
Hector

Post by Hector »

A couple of correct entries already, but I haven't gotten the email. Anyone else?
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Hector wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:30 pm A couple of correct entries already, but I haven't gotten the email. Anyone else?
No puzzle here either. Having anxiety.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

While I'm waiting for the puzzle...I've never done one that requires an answer like this. Do we submit something like "X to Y"? I assume exact phrasing won't matter, but I'm just sitting here obsessing...
Hector

Post by Hector »

I think the answer-checking is not automated, so anything he can decipher should be fine.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Did anyone receive it yet? I have so much to do today, but I can't tear myself away from refreshing my email...
damefox

Post by damefox »

I got the email at 12:13. It's been as late as 12:30 before, but never this late.
Hector

Post by Hector »

I got a forwarded copy. I had posted a dummy comment explaining that I hadn't received it. Probably should have just emailed him.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Beam me up; lucky number 13 on the leaderboard! That may be my best ever.

I was waiting and waiting for the email, and then I realized that it was already here, but Gmail had dropped it into my "Promotions" folder. Which is new behavior, sigh. The email was timestamped 9:18 A.M. (PST) so it was a bit late.
TMart

Post by TMart »

I still haven't gotten the email.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

TMart wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:13 pm I still haven't gotten the email.
A muggle forwarded it to me; but I also emailed Matt and got it shortly after that. PM me your email if you'd like me to forward.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Oops, I see my good showing was a technicality since people haven't even received the puzzle! I should have realized. Apologies for anything I said that sounded like gloating, really I was just surprised :-) I'm also happy to forward the email to anyone who needs it.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Beam me up! Somehow I got the email not long after Noon, but I didn’t get to it until 2:45. It took me an hour or so to solve, all told. Really good one!

I’m also happy to forward the puzzle to anyone who still doesn’t have it.
TMart

Post by TMart »

FrankieHeck wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:22 pm
TMart wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:13 pm I still haven't gotten the email.
A muggle forwarded it to me; but I also emailed Matt and got it shortly after that. PM me your email if you'd like me to forward.
Matt sent it over - thanks!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I liked that one a lot. More to say, but it will have to wait till after the deadline. (Will I still be posting here in the middle of holiday festivities? Yeah, probably.) I hope everyone has a very happy whatever-they-celebrate! I personally am celebrating the fact that the sunsets here are not getting any earlier now.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Again. How does he do it week after week? Brilliant.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Not that easy, but doable.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

With a busy pre-Christmas weekend, I wasn't too thrilled to see an oversized grid or that there were only 38 solvers on the first day. So I did the grid Friday, but nothing jumped out at me and I set it aside.

Meg said it's doable though. (Thanks!) So I took another look; googled to fix the errors in my grid; and playing with ideas, suddenly realized that I was on the right track. Beam me up!
CrossedPurposes

Post by CrossedPurposes »

Can't wrap my head around this one. Looking to get a nudge in the Christmas spirit of giving!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I think I have the first step, but now I'm stuck.
Heidi