#602 - "I Spy"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Meg

Post by Meg »

A true week 1.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Toby

Post by Toby »

I have mixed feelings about Matt's doing away with the prizes. On the one hand, I ceertainly don't need another notepad. On the other hand, it is fun to see who won, even though it is pretty random, just as I still aspire to a WSJ mug, even though I have perhaps 80 mugs in my cupboard. Maybe he would be allowed to continue awarding some sort of imaginary or virtual prize.
TMart

Post by TMart »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:49 pm
TMart wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:46 pm Got it. Looking forward to my pen, pencil and notepad set!
You're one of the winners? Congratulations!

Quick beam up this week.
No, he said everyone’s getting one next month because he’s going to stop the weekly prizes.
jakeorjacob

Post by jakeorjacob »

Got it. Here’s what I texted to a solver friend this afternoon:

“I'm never going to win a mug! I'm only going to RECEIVE a mug like some heathen.”
Hector

Post by Hector »

Toby wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:31 pm I have mixed feelings about Matt's doing away with the prizes. On the one hand, I ceertainly don't need another notepad. On the other hand, it is fun to see who won, even though it is pretty random, just as I still aspire to a WSJ mug, even though I have perhaps 80 mugs in my cupboard. Maybe he would be allowed to continue awarding some sort of imaginary or virtual prize.
Agree. A shout-out would be just as fun as a bit of swag. That's what they do at fivethirtyeight.com's Riddler every week, and no one has ever complained that no physical prize was involved.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Love it! We haven't had a Week 0 for a while!
damefox

Post by damefox »

I'm a little sad Matt's doing away with the prizes, although really what I'm sad about is that I didn't discover this contest until just a couple months ago, so I haven't had tons of chances to win a prize yet. I know many of you are rolling in notepads and various other crossword swag, but as someone who has yet to win a drawing for any of these various contests, it's kind of a bummer to have one opportunity taken off the table. Oh well. At least next year I have a shot at being eligible for the yearly prizes.