#595 - "This and That" - October 25, 2019

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Hector

#595 - "This and That" - October 25, 2019

Post by Hector »

This week's contest answer is one way to solve metas.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Pretty amazing.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Fun one. Not sure it was a week 4, though. But next month has five Fridays.
itsgioyall

Post by itsgioyall »

Beam me up! Matt went definitely easy on us this week. I was lucky to find the right rabbit hole early on.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Beam me up as well! Agree this didn't seem like a week 4, but sometimes I just see it and the mind flows.
damefox

Post by damefox »

Submitted like 5 min after the update, but I'm pretty sure I got it. I haven't been doing these long enough to judge what "week level" this is. It seemed not too bad, but I think it's possible I'm just getting better at this. (Pretty sure I have PGWCC to thank for that.) Don't think I would've seen the answer if it was the first meta I'd ever done.

Edit: On the board! That was a quick update.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beam me up!

Agree, not Week 4-level. But fun!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Since I started Matt's puzzles in April, my goal has been to have a perfect month with no nudges. Finally met that goal!
Meg

Post by Meg »

I really enjoyed this one!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Nice. Submitted first and solved later.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Beam me up!! I had the answer long before I knew how to get there. But not a backsolve-just validation I was right once I figured out the meta. Super puzzle and meta.
JJD

Post by JJD »

With a bit of help from my son, got it.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Beam me up! I don't have official confirmation yet, but I'm pretty confident. (Heidi)

Edit: Confirmed!
Heidi
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Done.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

See, this is what I was talking about last week, I still don't have a glimmer of an idea on this one! I suspect I know what the answer is, but no clue how to get there.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Beam me up, please.

I solved on Friday afternoon, but I wasn't totally sure if the last bit was meant to be deduced or discovered. I did the former, and it felt plenty solid, but just in case there was some other piece of coolness that I hadn't seen yet, I decided to wait and take another look. So last night, I went over it again, didn't find anything new (at least nothing relevant, several empty rabbit holes) and went ahead and submitted.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Laura M wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:09 am See, this is what I was talking about last week, I still don't have a glimmer of an idea on this one! I suspect I know what the answer is, but no clue how to get there.
I was right where you are now until I tried something new. Funny that it was one of the first things I looked at, then discarded it when I didn't know what to do with it. Then I figured out how to make it work. Keep digging! (Heidi)
Heidi
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:25 am Beam me up, please.

I solved on Friday afternoon, but I wasn't totally sure if the last bit was meant to be deduced or discovered. I did the former, and it felt plenty solid, but just in case there was some other piece of coolness that I hadn't seen yet, I decided to wait and take another look. So last night, I went over it again, didn't find anything new (at least nothing relevant, several empty rabbit holes) and went ahead and submitted.
I went through the exact same process. I was afraid to submit right away because I didn't have it completely nailed down, but after a few hours nothing else had occurred to me so I jumped ship (wrong metaphor for this board, I know).
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Done and Done.
David R

Post by David R »

Just got to it tonight and liked it very much, played like a Week 3 as far as difficulty for me but I understand why it is running as a Week 4.