#595 - "This and That" - October 25, 2019

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
LesY

Post by LesY »

A pleasant side effect of this one is it put Michael Penn's 1989 song with the same title in my head. The less-well-known second single from the album.
jakeorjacob

Post by jakeorjacob »

Anyone willing to provide a gentle nudge in PM? I need to get a bigger list of friends to talk about the MGWCC with because right now, if my one MGWCC-solving friend doesn’t have other insights, I’m out of luck.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Been watching for the CrosswordFiend post because I never solved this one. I can't believe I didn't look at the first letters of the theme words, that's like Meta 101!

But... I'm on the leaderboard anyway because I submitted my guess just for fun. Apologies to anyone who thinks that isn't fair, I tend to agree with you. In the unlikely event I win something I'll send it to a more deserving person who actually figured it out :-)

(I'm not familiar with the Michael Penn song, but I've had the Schoolhouse Rock "Barter" song going through my mind all weekend even though the lyrics don't quite match...)
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Laura M wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:17 pm But... I'm on the leaderboard anyway because I submitted my guess just for fun. Apologies to anyone who thinks that isn't fair, I tend to agree with you. In the unlikely event I win something I'll send it to a more deserving person who actually figured it out :-)
My opinion is that if you solve the meta based on title alone, you have earned the prize. I have kicked myself for not submitting correct guesses in the past, so I am now more than willing to submit a hail mary. I'm sure a fair number of them roll in at 11:59 ;-)