#591 - "Back and Forth" - September 27, 2019

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
BrianMac
Site Admin

#591 - "Back and Forth" - September 27, 2019

Post by BrianMac »

Guest Constructor Month Puzzle #4 of 4, by Rich O'Malley.

This week's contest answer is the constructor's favorite number.

Have fun!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Oh, no. Numbers...
Meg

Post by Meg »

Well, it’s a week 4.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

There's so many things to look at, I don't know where to start! (Heidi)
Heidi
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I have several bits and pieces that seem to belong to unrelated metas, so nothing makes sense. This one may be beyond me. Right now, I'm selfishly glad that this thread isn't full of "beam me up" posts! (Yet...)
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Laura M wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:04 pm I have several bits and pieces that seem to belong to unrelated metas, so nothing makes sense. This one may be beyond me. Right now, I'm selfishly glad that this thread isn't full of "beam me up" posts! (Yet...)
Truly. How many metas are going on here.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Hmm. Didn’t really enjoy the grid. And 6 people on the leaderboard after 7 hours.

This might be a good one to not waste time on. Don’t know if I’ll actually manage that, of course. Guess we’ll see.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Just got to this, and, baffled by all of the clues. 6? 7? Anniversary gifts? Wha?
Toby

Post by Toby »

I have never seen so many different kinds of clues, all leading nowhere or so it seems. Even though it is week 4, I hope Matt will give us a hint.
TMart

Post by TMart »

No idea- this one seems like it will be either completely brilliant or completely random. Lots of dead-end paths so far, and I’m getting stuck on illogical leaps and guesses. My brain hurts at this point.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

...and only 8 people on the leader board as of noon Saturday. I'm certain to spend too much thought on this between now and Tuesday.
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

I submitted my answer early this morning....the 8 people are since midnight last night. Matt hasn't updated in quite some time (as of the time I posted this message).

Postscript - leaderboard updated, solution confirmed. But still only 15 total solves at this point.
Last edited by RPardoe on Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

I believe I have it but I will wait awhile.
damefox

Post by damefox »

Has anyone tried asking Rich O'Malley what his favorite number is?
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Theodreiser must have done so to solve in 11 minutes. I couldn't even get the grid done that quickly.
Hector

Post by Hector »

damefox wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:43 pm Has anyone tried asking Rich O'Malley what his favorite number is?
One of our muggles did so on twitter. No luck!
Toby

Post by Toby »

I'm on board thanks to hint from another solver, but I didn't really like this puzzle. Too many false leads, and one step that -- unless I'm missing something -- requires just a lucky guess on how to execute it.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Toby wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:01 pm I'm on board thanks to hint from another solver, but I didn't really like this puzzle. Too many false leads, and one step that -- unless I'm missing something -- requires just a lucky guess on how to execute it.
Agree. I finally got it, but with a very big hint from someone else, who also apparently had help from others.

Yes, I see one path where, if I had really focused on something in particular, and tried some things, maybe quite a few things, I might have stumbled upon the path. But "might" is a big word. Reconstructing this, it's not very likely at all I could have gotten to the solution without the big hint.

Hmm ... Not sure I feel right in submitting. My path, I think, went past a typical group solve. I'll think about it.
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Yay, can't believe I got it!
John

Post by John »

For those who received hints, who did you ask? I would like a hint to this puzzle. It seems like a lot of people had help with this one.