#590 - "Flights of Fancy" - September 20, 2019

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Hector

#590 - "Flights of Fancy" - September 20, 2019

Post by Hector »

This week’s contest answer is a six-letter entry with no connection.
Hector

Post by Hector »

I submitted an answer that makes perfect sense, but can't say that it's 100%.
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

I submitted just after the update, but I think my answer is right (we'll see soon!). The meta didn't work exactly the way I thought it would, so it took me longer than it should have. I have one quibble, but it's a very clever meta!
TMart

Post by TMart »

Interesting one. Need to wait for the update, but pretty sure I got it. I agree, very clever, but a little confusing.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Well I am definitely on the right track and I *think* I know what I'm going to submit, but I'm not 100% yet and don't want to blow it by being too hasty. One little piece is giving me pause.
itsgioyall

Post by itsgioyall »

Beautifully constructed! and I'm on shore!
LesY

Post by LesY »

I believe I’m with most of you. Will say I had more fun with the first step than the second. :) I’m going to let it marinate for a bit just to be safe, but likely beaming up to the same starship as the rest of the group.

Overall a very solid first offering from Adam. This took some work. Congrats on getting published!

And let the weekend continue! It’s absolutely gorgeous here in central Virginia. If only it would rain...on a weekday...
Meg

Post by Meg »

Well, I echo the sentiments above. I have an answer, but I’m going to let it knock around in my brain for awhile.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

I’m assuming “six letter entry” means grid entry. But maybe I shouldn’t.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Leslie wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:47 pm I submitted just after the update, but I think my answer is right (we'll see soon!). The meta didn't work exactly the way I thought it would, so it took me longer than it should have. I have one quibble, but it's a very clever meta!
I was expecting it to work slightly differently, too. I would be more confident if it had worked the way I thought it was going to.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Like others here, I have an answer, but it doesn't quite feel like a lock. So I'll sit tight for a while.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I'm currently stuck in the transporter's pattern buffer - waiting to see if I rematerialize on the nice safe starship or some evil alternate reality.

In other words, I've submitted and am waiting for Matt to update to see if I got it right.

I was encouraged to see that several early solvers here had some uncertainty but did actually show up on the leaderboard. But then I noticed that there have been 6 incorrect including some very smart solvers.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Whew! Away mission accomplished. I'm on the board and thus on board.
LesY

Post by LesY »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:29 pm Whew! Away mission accomplished. I'm on the board and thus on board.
Same here! I went ahead and pulled the trigger late afternoon and landed in one piece on the right starship.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Grid done. Step one done. Still pondering where to go from here.
Hector

Post by Hector »

I'll be interested to read on crosswordfiend on Tuesday the solving process that led joon to submit his solution in what looks like less than 10 minutes!

Also, I found myself amused that the constructor was the 25th to solve. (Obviously, he's just preserving a streak, but I'm easily amused.)

Happy weekend, on ship or on shore! G&Ts here with the rare bluebird day.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

I have tried this path more times than you can imagine. Why it took me so long to try it today I have no idea.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Cindy wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:46 pm I have tried this path more times than you can imagine. Why it took me so long to try it today I have no idea.
I remember one of those occasions and thought of you when I saw what was going on today.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Finally an update and I am on the board. Barbara, I think I got stuck in the bio-filter for awhile along with a redshirt guy, who didn’t make it.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.