#589 - "That's Not What I Heard" - September 13, 2019

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

I loved this one. Done and done.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Yay! I finally figured out what to do with those anxiety causing numbers! Beam me up! (Heidi)
Heidi
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

Was the meta KISS THIS GUY or I KISS THE SKY?

The number code gives you the former, but the correct phrase is I KISS THE SKY.

It looks either answer was accepted.
Jack Sullivan
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I submitted KISS THIS GUY. I thought at the time that it would have been cool if the answer were a 10 letter phrase - KISS THE SKY, but I never considered adding the I.

I wonder if there will be complaints that the meta could be solved without doing the grid at all. Seems like there usually are with puzzles like that. Though maybe this one was so cute, no one minded.
Hector

Post by Hector »

I KISS THE SKY works, but it's has an extra word, so it's not the actual-lyrics phrase that is heard as KISS THIS GUY. (It was important in the mechanism that the actual-lyric phrases exactly matched the misheard ones.) If the mechanism had given us the 12-letter IKISSTHISGUY, then I KISS THE SKY would be correct. I think Matt is right (and generous) to accept it anyway, but I don't see any ambiguity about which answer is correct.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Hector wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:30 pm I KISS THE SKY works, but it's has an extra word, so it's not the actual-lyrics phrase that is heard as KISS THIS GUY. (It was important in the mechanism that the actual-lyric phrases exactly matched the misheard ones.) If the mechanism had given us the 12-letter IKISSTHISGUY, then I KISS THE SKY would be correct. I think Matt is right (and generous) to accept it anyway, but I don't see any ambiguity about which answer is correct.
Agree with this logic. Glad Matt's a merciful guy (this time, for the benefit of others).

Maybe if a solver got to "I kiss the sky" it shows they must have figured it out? Curious what the reason is to keep going to "I kiss the sky" with "kiss this guy" spelled out right there - since the themers got converted to the real lyrics then perhaps the meta answer should be real lyrics, too?

Congrats to all who solved, regarding of what they were kissing.
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

LesY wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:47 pm

Maybe if a solver got to "I kiss the sky" it shows they must have figured it out? Curious what the reason is to keep going to "I kiss the sky" with "kiss this guy" spelled out right there - since the themers got converted to the real lyrics then perhaps the meta answer should be real lyrics, too?

Congrats to all who solved, regarding of what they were kissing.
I submitted “I kiss the sky” for 2 reasons: (1) the themers had to be converted to the real lyrics to get the letters for “kiss this guy” and (2) the title, “That’s not what I heard” led me to the real lyrics. “I kiss the sky”? That’s not what I heard. I heard “kiss this guy”.

Matt accepted both answers, thankfully. I have to remember Occam’s razor and stop overthinking these things.
Jack Sullivan