#587 - "Reverse Engineering" - August 30, 2019

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
BrianMac
Site Admin

#587 - "Reverse Engineering" - August 30, 2019

Post by BrianMac »

Week 5 of 5,

This week's contest answer is a nine-letter word.

Good luck and have a nice holiday weekend!!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

#5 on the board... I can count how many top 10s I've had on maybe one finger (put down the joke).
TMart

Post by TMart »

#10 for me. Second best ever - I got #5 on Lancelot on the last week 5.

Had to screenshot this one - not used to seeing my name up there with Jangler and LuckyGuest!
Last edited by TMart on Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hector

Post by Hector »

I have the answer but am missing a piece.

Edit: never mind, got it!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Yes! Probably the highest I'll ever be on the leader board, too. For some reason I just felt good about that puzzle as soon as I printed it out.

Also my first successful week 5. (Though only the second one I've encountered.)
LesY

Post by LesY »

#17! Maybe my third successful week 5 but have never gotten one remotely this fast. Honored to be in such rarefied company.

Congrats to all solvers! Now to figure out arctanx and, alas, WSJ. I know, I know... :)
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

I haven’t had time yet to look but you all are giving me hope that this is a solvable week 5.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Interestingly, among the 37 solvers so far, more than half have over 300 overall correct solves.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Beam me up, please!

It wasn't the first thing I tried. Or the second. Or the third... But I believe this is the earliest I've ever got a week 5.

Oddly enough, the thing that got me started on the correct path didn't end up being part of it at all.

Next I'll take a look at the Christopher Adams puzzle someone kindly linked to. And looks like next week will be a busy week - MMMM Tuesday, Fireball Wednesday (I think) and of course the usual WSJ on Thursday. After all that, it will be nice to have a week 1 MGWCC.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I'm still lost in a black hole, or something. I thought I knew the general method pretty early on, but I'm not getting anywhere with it so far. There are too many possibilities, which is the opposite of my usual problem!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved but not alone.
Meg

Post by Meg »

It literally took me all day, but I solved it!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I've gone down three or four black holes and nothing has worked so far. I'm still going to keep looking, but I'm starting to get sick of looking at it! (Heidi)
Heidi
ack

Post by ack »

I was dreading this one, especially after drawing a blank on last week's, but everything fell logically into place. Very nicely done, Mr. Gaffney!
Hector

Post by Hector »

Print it out.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Stared at the grid, off and on, for a full day before finally asking a known solver for a hint. It was just the right kind of a hint, because it didn’t tell too much. So I still struggled for an hour or so before the method started to roll. Fun puzzle! Even needing help, the “aha” felt good. BEAM ME UP!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Beam me up! Phew! I was so stuck on something that I was sure was the key that I couldn't see anything else. Finally I cleared everything and redid the grid, and THEN I saw a completely different path that turned out much better. (Leaderboard probably won't update until morning at this point, but I'm pretty sure.)

I struggled with this one past the sweet spot where I would have felt really good about getting it (and in retrospect it wasn't difficult enough to justify the time I spent), so instead I feel mostly tired and dumb and also relieved. I think I need a new number on the Kas scale :-)

Edited to add: Yes, okay, technically this would be a Kas 2. But I don't feel like that rating adequately conveys the difficulty of this puzzle. I just managed to make it quite a bit more difficult!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

To me these are like Magic Eye. Sometimes really hard to see but then you cannot unsee it. Is unsee a word?
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Does anyone have the breakdown of how many correct answers Matt shoots for each week? I think I remember that he shoots for 400-500 for a Week 2 puzzle for a Week 2, but not sure about the whole set of ranges, and thought maybe one of you data-keepers would have that information.

I also stumbled across this on Wikipedia: "Gaffney has stated the MGWCC will run for exactly 1,000 weeks, meaning the last one will be published on Friday, Aug. 6, 2027." And while that eases my worry that he'll stop making them right as I'm getting started, it also makes me sad to see an end date! I really wish I had discovered metas sooner.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Beam me up! I thought this one was really fun. Maybe not as complex in terms of steps as other week 5's, but that's probably the only reason I was able to solve it. I really enjoyed working it once I discovered the mechanism.