#586 - "Periods of Reconciliation" - August 23, 2019

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Haven't seen the updated leaderboard yet, but I'm positive I got it... and if I must say, I'm pretty proud. Not "Jangler" proud, but proud.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I should wait for the leaderboard, but I'm pretty sure I can beam up too! Boy, was I ever in the wrong rabbit holes. I've never yet managed to dream an answer, but this is the closest I've come: I kept going over this puzzle in my head while cleaning the house today, and I came up a method that I thought would make everything make sense. Although I was sure that when I sat down to look at the actual puzzle, it would all fall apart (but it didn't!). Feeling pretty Kas 3 here...
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beam me up!

Finally!

I too followed many rabbit holes, but I was basically on the right path. A known solver confirmed for me that I was, indeed, basically on the right path, while giving me one further nudge. Then, after falling asleep and waking up to the puzzle, I played some more until I finally got to the answer.

Would I have gotten to it without the nudge? Hmm. Not sure. I'm slowly getting better at these, but not yet to the level of the quickest and most frequent solvers here.

To those still struggling with this one, I view it as do-able. I felt some "well, yes" when the aha eventually came. You may make it to the teleporter yet!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Al Sisti wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:19 pm Haven't seen the updated leaderboard yet, but I'm positive I got it... and if I must say, I'm pretty proud. Not "Jangler" proud, but proud.
Ah, pride ... one of the seven deadly sins. Perhaps the FIRST deadly sin for a puzzler. Be careful, my friend. Week 5 is coming! :D :D :D :D :D
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

I'm still planet-side and, unfortunately, feel like I'm wearing a red shirt.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

BrianMac wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:51 pm I'm still planet-side and, unfortunately, feel like I'm wearing a red shirt.
BrianMac, don’t be blue.
Cause I’m right here with you.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Got it after joining forces with another member. My first non-solo solve, but pleased as punch because I don't think I would have gotten there alone.

Team up to beam up!!
Meg

Post by Meg »

BrianMac wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:58 am Got it after joining forces with another member. My first non-solo solve, but pleased as punch because I don't think I would have gotten there alone.

Team up to beam up!!
Hey Red-Shirt-Guy! Glad you solved it. I think non-solo solves are often more fun, though I guess this year it looks like there will be special prizes for solo-solvers. I won’t be getting any of those.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I finished binge-reading Infinite Jest and buddy-solved Matt's meta in the same 20-minute block today. I feel almost weightless, such a double burden has been taken off my shoulders! And let me just say that IJ is not a book for those of you who like those nice resolved endings! :lol:
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

FrankieHeck wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:48 pm I finished binge-reading Infinite Jest and buddy-solved Matt's meta in the same 20-minute block today. I feel almost weightless, such a double burden has been taken off my shoulders! And let me just say that IJ is not a book for those of you who like those nice resolved endings! :lol:
Congrats on both! And ohhhhhh yeah. I know that many consider IJ a work of genius, and that's awesome, but personally it's one of my least favorite books I've ever read. Just really so much not my thing. I'm very impressed that you powered through it in a weekend though--it's pretty heavy stuff if I remember!
LesY

Post by LesY »

FrankieHeck wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:48 pm I finished binge-reading Infinite Jest and buddy-solved Matt's meta in the same 20-minute block today. I feel almost weightless, such a double burden has been taken off my shoulders! And let me just say that IJ is not a book for those of you who like those nice resolved endings! :lol:
Oh wow I literally just started Infinite Jest! Have been meaning to read it for a long time.

Way to go on finishing both the book and this puzzle! Double daunting.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Laura M wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:21 pm
Congrats on both! And ohhhhhh yeah. I know that many consider IJ a work of genius, and that's awesome, but personally it's one of my least favorite books I've ever read. Just really so much not my thing. I'm very impressed that you powered through it in a weekend though--it's pretty heavy stuff if I remember!
It actually took me exactly two weeks to read it. And I don't have a job and I am a terrible housewife, so it was pretty much nonstop reading. I actually really enjoyed (most of) it. Definitely made me feel better about my own life, if nothing else. I'm hoping an Infinite Jest-themed crossword puzzle comes out soon to make it really worth the effort!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

LesY wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:30 pm Oh wow I literally just started Infinite Jest! Have been meaning to read it for a long time.
Weird! You'll have to message me when you finish. There will be some chapters you will wish you could unsee....
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

Was on the right track all along, just needed to set it aside and go back to it fresh, then the last piece fell into place. Rare for me to get a week 4, I guess persistence pays off!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

With metas like this, I think submitters should have to show their work - at least in weeks when I actually solve it:) 1 in 7 chance of getting it just by guessing.
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

Ten minutes before the deadline, I realized the four non-political pairs were from different decades. Too late! But I’m not sure I would have seen the connection with clue numbers anyway.

Batting .125 on week fours this year. The only one I solved was a gift puzzle from Matt.
Jack Sullivan
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

BarbaraK wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:12 pm With metas like this, I think submitters should have to show their work - at least in weeks when I actually solve it:) 1 in 7 chance of getting it just by guessing.
I agree. I did put an abbreviated explanation in the comments that said "35+55 = 90 (90's), so you wouldn't think I just guessed it."
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Al Sisti wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:18 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:12 pm With metas like this, I think submitters should have to show their work - at least in weeks when I actually solve it:) 1 in 7 chance of getting it just by guessing.
I agree. I did put an abbreviated explanation in the comments that said "35+55 = 90 (90's), so you wouldn't think I just guessed it."
Heh, my comment last week was literally just “55 + 35 = 90”.
TMart

Post by TMart »

sharkicicles wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:31 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:18 pm
Heh, my comment last week was literally just “55 + 35 = 90”.
Ha! That makes three of us. I said 55+35=90 (which is about the number of votes Perot got in 1996!) I wonder how many solvers actually guessed and got the right answer.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Quite a few solvers in the final couple of hours. I'll wager more than a few of them were Hail Marys.