#652 - "Solved in Full"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

My answer is BORAT. The graphic below explains the impeccable logic that leads to this solution. Oh, I know that answer wanted by this Gaffney fellow conforms to the pattern of the key words in the grid, and I know that the letters come in order top to bottom.

But when you get the solution, does K-MART bring a smile to your face? Does it give you a warm feeling? Or does it summon up a rather depressing image? Now instead imagine that your puzzle-solving leads you to BORAT.

I rest my case.
MGWCC 11-27 my solution.jpg
Jay
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Quit putting ideas in Matt's head ;)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

In response to Bird Lives classic explanation (only slightly less convoluted than the real mechanism):

KMART - I think we all know from listening to a famous line by a famous actor in a famous movie...K-MART SUCKS!

If only he owned two teams (10 each) of pack animals used to move good on early American highways, then he could be 20 mule team Borat...yeah like you expected any different!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
mpmanning

Post by mpmanning »

In reply to BirdLives above, my answer is ATHOL, the well known town of Massachusetts founded in 1753 and probably named after the earldom of British forebears.

The solution route is as above except after removing the first letter use the next letter of the remainder as follows:

A from ASKET
T from TOMIC
H from HUNDER
O from OREA
L from LECTRONIC

ATHOL, the desirable Proper noun and evidently wrong answer!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

mpmanning wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:24 pm In reply to BirdLives above, my answer is ATHOL, the well known town of Massachusetts founded in 1753 and probably named after the earldom of British forebears.

The solution route is as above except after removing the first letter use the next letter of the remainder as follows:

A from ASKET
T from TOMIC
H from HUNDER
O from OREA
L from LECTRONIC

Hmm, I think I've heard of that town, or at least someone from it. I was at a meeting once and there was someone from there but I understood he had not been born there but moved there later. A friend disenchanted me of that and said, "No he's a real Athol!" :D
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

DrTom wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:20 am
mpmanning wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:24 pm In reply to BirdLives above, my answer is ATHOL, the well known town of Massachusetts founded in 1753 and probably named after the earldom of British forebears.

A from ASKET
T from TOMIC
H from HUNDER
O from OREA
L from LECTRONIC

Hmm, I think I've heard of that town, or at least someone from it. I was at a meeting once and there was someone from there but I understood he had not been born there but moved there later. A friend disenchanted me of that and said, "No he's a real Athol!" :D
I figured that's what you'd do with ATHOL. So I hesitate to remind you of the prize-winning playwright ATHOL FUGARD.
Jay
ricky

Post by ricky »

Did MG post the answer/explanation somewhere besides his website? I thought he only posted the answers in his Friday blog posts with the links to the new puzzles.

In any case, now that I know the answer is KMART, I have a few minor bones to pick.

If you're going to have entries that are in the grid because they're one or more letters short of another word, couldn't you be sure to exclude words from the grid that have the same relationship?

For instance, AHOY crosses YAHOO (AHOY + o) *and* SUCRE crosses ACCUSERS (SUCRE + ACS). And both of those letter sets are contiguous within the longer word. Both of those are ordinarily huge clues. And yet here they're apparently meaningless red herrings.

Also, the grid's littered with double letters - 13 pairs of them. I guess the other double letter pairs are there to disguise the presence of the shortened terms, which all start with double letters? But in most other circumstances, again, that quantity of double letters would not be a red herring.

After working through these and other possibilities, I wound up with

BBALL - ALL = BB
ADDAMS - ADDS = AM
YAHOO - AHOY = O

Result: ABOMB, which is the central down entry. I didn't think ABOMB was a proper noun, but maybe MG does, if it's used to refer to the first one developed by the US? I wound up entering OBAMA knowing it almost certainly wasn't right, but it was at least composed out of the 4 individual letters I'd found...
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Bird Lives wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:34 am ATHOL FUGARD.
He said "ATHOL FUGARD." 🤭
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
mpmanning

Post by mpmanning »

Athol Harold Lannigan Fugard, FRSL OIS (born June 11, 1932, Middelburg, South Africa), South African dramatist, actor, and director who became internationally known for his penetrating and pessimistic analyses of South African society during the apartheid period.

Who knew? How Proper!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bird Lives wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:34 am
DrTom wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:20 am

A from ASKET
T from TOMIC
H from HUNDER
O from OREA
L from LECTRONIC

I figured that's what you'd do with ATHOL. So I hesitate to remind you of the prize-winning playwright ATHOL FUGARD.
Of COURSE you did, why wouldn't you. Hit me a lob and I've got to try to hit it back. That one was just too tempting to let go, and everyone would have been disappointed.

Oh, and my other favorite convention:

Watched a play by Athol Fugard
Safely distanced out in the yard
Twas a sad tale of strife
Imposed on a life
And how the path to redemption is marred

Though his name caused young boys to titter
He certainly wasn’t a quitter
He plotted a story
From squalor to glory
Grabbing salvation out of the bitter

Now limericks all tend to be horrid
With endings that lean towards the torrid
But this one is meant
To honor the gent
Without causing your face to be florid

T