"The Play's The Thing" - June 7, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Had to use google for this one. My Shakespeare is limited to Hamlet/Macbeth/Romeo & Juliet as high school reading assignments. Well that and seeing references in crossword clues, which really helped, but I still needed google to get the meta.

See you on the beach, as it is FINALLY almost summer in New England.
Rufus T. Firefly
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

I appear to be on shore (after a two week drought), but the meta was so straightforward that I have to wonder whether I was somehow fooled...
Tony S

Post by Tony S »

Cindy wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:30 pm I haven’t started yet. But there is breaking news in the meta world. I have won an MGWCC monthly prize. It only took 110 weeks. Anybody want to take me to Vegas with them now?
Congratulations Cindy. I should go to Vegas with you --- I was one of three winners several weeks ago in the Financial Times Saturday Cryptic contest and it was the first time I ever entered! We could rule the roulette wheel!
a3jay

Post by a3jay »

Happy to be on shore for the first time in a few weeks.
Tony S

Post by Tony S »

On shore. Easy puzzle, easier meta. I think it might have been more of a challenge without the parenthetical references to Shakespeare plays.
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

Made it to shore - pretty straightforward, lots of competition for the mug this week.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Done. After breaking into a cold sweat upon reading the directions, I found this very doable and fun. Always good to revisit Shakespeare. Thanks Matt. We needed that! Mix me up a morning mimosa to go, Isaac. Now to submit my answer so I don’t forget to do it, like last week.
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

A quick solve, and it came out while Dom was driving to an ISI event in Philadelphia, so travel by him again allows me to beat him to shore! Now go Vanderbilt baseball - beat Duke and get to the College World Series!
oliviazink

Post by oliviazink »

for the first time in forever, all the bloggers say it's easy -- and i also thought it was easy! i've never been that girl. rah rah. see you on the beach. i'm the one getting plastered under that big umbrella over there.
KayW

Post by KayW »

On shore refreshingly early! Although I did need to google one item.

I guess this gives me more time to stare blankly at my completed MMMM grid and wait for meta inspiration.

And congratulations to Cindy!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Jazzvibist

Post by Jazzvibist »

Happy to join the already crowded shore. Although this was my quickest WSJCC solve ever, I enjoyed the excursion thoroughly.

Stu K
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

On shore. With lots of company this week I am sure.

Blair
steveb

Post by steveb »

Onshore. Clever construction; not too hard to solve.
Lucksta

Post by Lucksta »

After a bunch of tough ones, thought Alzheimer’s might have gotten the better of me. Finally... redemption!
Ann

Post by Ann »

Solved!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

pddigi wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:02 am A quick solve, and it came out while Dom was driving to an ISI event in Philadelphia, so travel by him again allows me to beat him to shore! Now go Vanderbilt baseball - beat Duke and get to the College World Series!
Did Dom make it to the shore?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Made it to shore pretty quickly. Isaac only needed to mix up one Bloody Mary and I was gone. Now for martinis on the beach 🍸
Good luck on winning the mug to what should be a large group!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

gamera13 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:47 pmYAY! I got it!
Congratuilations. Is this the first time you have been on shore?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Nice easy one solved on the shore at Emerald Isle NC. The fish aren’t biting but the puzzling is fine!
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
31 Down

Post by 31 Down »

"Tis doneth and lain to sweet rest, past the inescapable forest of idle thoughts, without woe nor the accursed Cliff Notes."

Lil BeeShaka 2019
Thomas W (since there's already a Tom W)