"AP English" - January 8, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Eguinan

Post by Eguinan »

On the beach! Great puzzle.
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

Finally got some time to do the puzzle, and was almost undone by the grid. Happily, it came together and so did the meta. Ashore with a Sunday Blantons!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Tom Shea wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:11 pm
tim1217 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:42 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:27 pm
However we had a great 20 year run which is more than any other team so no complaints
I on the other hand, am just getting ready to watch the Bears 'try' and beat the Saints...only to then have the pleasure of playing the well-relaxed Packers at GB. Are we having fun yet? Thank you sir, may I have another!
The two places I worked the most (time-wise anyway) the last five years before retiring are NOLA and Chicagoland. I am only a little torn on who to root for, since I've worked in Chicagoland for 20 years before that also and have many more friends there (2020 was the first year in a couple of decades where I did not set foot in the city). Met da coach at Ditka's a few times, so I'm rooting for Da Bears, but realize I have a 99% chance of disappointment, either this week or next.
Good luck
After the 1986 Super Bowl, I have to go with NOLA. (but who holds a grudge for 35 years?_
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

LadyBird wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:45 pm
Tom Shea wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:37 pm I remember being in Australia for all of January 1986.
Ah yes. January 1986. The high water mark for the Bears when we beat NE in the Superbowl. The only sadness in that game was when Sweetness (Walter Payton) did not score a TD.
And Refrigerator Perry did! Didn't Ditka eventually apologize for that?
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Scraps wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:15 pm
EVJ wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:23 am
damefox wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:56 pm Still filling out the grid here, but I found myself so outraged about one of the clues that I couldn't sit and finish without commenting first. (I don't think this is any way related to the meta, but I'll put a spoiler over it in case people don't want to read about the grid before they finish.) 21A is completely inappropriate. That is not funny - that is not a pun you get to just put a ? after and call it a day. People who are starving are not fasting. As food insecurity rises across the country, this is appalling to see in the WSJ crossword. I may just not finish and break my more than year long streak in protest of this. It's possible yesterday has put me more on edge than I would normally be, but this is simply not okay regardless.
Agree
Completely disagree.

1. Effective crossword clues often lead you astray while being literally correct. 21A is a classic misdirection. I think it’s a great clue/answer combination.

2. There is no “inappropriate” in crossword puzzles. Artistically created puzzles can refer to bad or controversial people, places, or things as suits the creators. What else is not appropriate? Recent puzzles have referred to murderous emperors, battles where thousands were killed, weapons of various sorts, and even (gasp) politicians. Were those inappropriate, too? We muggles are not afraid to call Voldemort or anyone or anything else by his, her or its name as long as the letters fit the grid.

3. When my most non-conformist son got in trouble in high school for harmless but “inappropriate” behavior, he’d say, “‘Inappropriate’ is a word teachers use when you do something they don’t like, can’t explain why it’s wrong and weren’t smart enough to prohibit in advance.”
BRAVO!! Very well said and most appreciated. I thought the "offending" clue was clever as heck and had the desired effect of being supremely misdirective.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Stuck in a rabbit hole, running short of bourbon.....a little nudge or at least some decent bourbon would be appreciated.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

jhseeman wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:19 pm Stuck in a rabbit hole, running short of bourbon.....a little nudge or at least some decent bourbon would be appreciated.
Sent you a slight nudge.
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Finally got it
With some help from my grown son.
Stay safe and healthy!
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:42 pm
Tom Shea wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:11 pm
tim1217 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:42 pm

I on the other hand, am just getting ready to watch the Bears 'try' and beat the Saints...only to then have the pleasure of playing the well-relaxed Packers at GB. Are we having fun yet? Thank you sir, may I have another!
The two places I worked the most (time-wise anyway) the last five years before retiring are NOLA and Chicagoland. I am only a little torn on who to root for, since I've worked in Chicagoland for 20 years before that also and have many more friends there (2020 was the first year in a couple of decades where I did not set foot in the city). Met da coach at Ditka's a few times, so I'm rooting for Da Bears, but realize I have a 99% chance of disappointment, either this week or next.
Good luck
After the 1986 Super Bowl, I have to go with NOLA. (but who holds a grudge for 35 years?_
A great place to visit. If you go to the right places. You can also get into a lot of trouble there. After a while, the chicanery, stench and debauchery sort of wore on me. Toward the end, I never went near the French Quarter. Kenner, Metairie, St. Rose and LaPlace were just fine for me.

...but really good food.
Rufus T. Firefly
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

By the by - did anyone do the Saturday Crossword by Gary Larson? I thought it immensely clever. The answers were of course interesting but the cluing...I assume this is the "Far Side" Gary Larson and I have always liked his rather twisted humor. But if it is NOT that Gary Larson, I like his twisted humor as well.
Last edited by DrTom on Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

DrTom wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:38 pm By the by - dis anyone do the Saturday Crossword by Gary Larson? I thought it immensely clever. The answers were of course interesting but the cluing...I assume this is the "Far Side" Gary Larson and I have always liked his rather twisted humor. But if it is NOT that Gary Larson, I like his twisted humor as well.
Different guy, but also enjoyable.
Rufus T. Firefly
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Tom Shea wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:42 pm
DrTom wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:38 pm By the by - dis anyone do the Saturday Crossword by Gary Larson? I thought it immensely clever. The answers were of course interesting but the cluing...I assume this is the "Far Side" Gary Larson and I have always liked his rather twisted humor. But if it is NOT that Gary Larson, I like his twisted humor as well.
Thanks! I always wondered (but not enough to search/check), but doubted it was one and the same, due to the lack of clues/answers with cows, dinosaurs, and frumpy ladies wearing a house dress and cat-eye glasses.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

HunterX wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:19 pm
Thanks! I always wondered (but not enough to search/check), but doubted it was one and the same, due to the lack of clues/answers with cows, dinosaurs, and frumpy ladies wearing a house dress and cat-eye glasses.
Three of my favorites. (how can you have only three?)

Cows in recliners. Phone rings. "There it goes again. And here we sit without opposable thumbs."
Crow answering phone calling to wife in horn-rimmed glasses: "Doris, phone caw!"
Rat couple arguing: "Clean it up! Clean it up? It's *supposed* to be a rat hole!"
Rufus T. Firefly
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

Tom Shea wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:28 pm

Cows in recliners. Phone rings. "There it goes again. And here we sit without opposable thumbs."
Crow answering phone calling to wife in horn-rimmed glasses: "Doris, phone caw!"
Rat couple arguing: "Clean it up! Clean it up? It's *supposed* to be a rat hole!"
“Now this end is called the thagomizer, after the late Thag Simmons”. And now it’s the accepted name for the spiky tail end of the Stegosaurus!
WSJosh

Post by WSJosh »

Still at sea, but only started with the meta this afternoon after finishing the grid on Friday.

Edit: make it ashore, just in the nick of time.
Last edited by WSJosh on Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

'caT Fud' sign leading to open dryer door, with curious cat cautiously investigating and dog on darkened blind side wishing, "Please, oh, please, oh..."

(With deep, but not all that sincere, apologies to my younger sister.)
Last edited by Joe Ross on Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Tom Shea wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:28 pm

I first encountered Gary Larson when I moved to Chicago right after college. My roommate and I were not savvy renters and that apartment had a definite cockroach problem (to this day I can't put a kitchen garbage can under the sink). I really related to all his bug cartoons. I taped them to the fridge as my way of coping!
Mord

Post by Mord »

On shore with just enough time!! Whew! That was a fun one :) second in a row now! (I don’t expect that will keep long lol)
wordsmith

Post by wordsmith »

Late to the party this weekend and far from the shore...would love a nudge to point the canoe in the right direction (perhaps a puzzle with a similar mechanism?) Thanks in advance!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

MatthewL wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:21 pm Thanks to all who nudged. Interestingly, all the nudges were very similar. They helped, and inspiration finally struck. I am ashore (I believe -- guess we'll find out). One question -- I tried to reply to the several PMs folks sent, but all the messages appear to be hung up in my Outbox, as opposed to Sent folder. Not sure why the messages won't go, but in any event, thanks again to all who nudged.

Matthew
Hi. They stay in your outbox until they are read.