"AP English" - January 8, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

damefox wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:56 pm Still filling out the grid here, but I found myself so outraged about one of the clues that I couldn't sit and finish without commenting first. (I don't think this is any way related to the meta, but I'll put a spoiler over it in case people don't want to read about the grid before they finish.) 21A is completely inappropriate. That is not funny - that is not a pun you get to just put a ? after and call it a day. People who are starving are not fasting. As food insecurity rises across the country, this is appalling to see in the WSJ crossword. I may just not finish and break my more than year long streak in protest of this. It's possible yesterday has put me more on edge than I would normally be, but this is simply not okay regardless.
Full disclosure: I thought this was a pretty clever clue, or at least I did. I now see your point, but I think it's very likely that the constructors/editors interpreted it as I did initially, without thinking it through. You should definitely make your viewpoint known so that they can be more aware next time. And of course, whether or not to do (or contribute) WSJ crosswords is completely your choice, but. I like to think that the vast majority of the crossword community are reasonable human beings who might make mistakes, but who will try to do better when they are respectfully corrected, and who deserve second (and maybe third and fourth, etc.) chances. There's enough anger in the rest of the world.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

That was easy! Ashore!

Hey, you all stay safe and stay strong, okay? The nights can be dark, but joy comes in the morning. :)
steveb

Post by steveb »

michaelm wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:58 pm On Shore.
Now that we've begun the 2021 meta calendar year, wondering if anyone wants to reminisce and post their most memorable Aha! (solved or not...) from 2020's great collection?
I don't necessarily have an outstanding favorite from 2020, but one of my all-time favorites was "Mystery Woman" from 12/15/17. I thought it was brilliantly constructed, although you might need to have already guessed the answer in order to solve the meta. That was the case for me, anyway.
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

[stet]
Last edited by Franklin.Bluth on Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Kerfuffle

Post by Bob Kerfuffle »

I'm rather new here, so I will say I am on shore, but I feel as if I am sitting under a palm tree full of ripe coconuts, any one of which may fall on my head without notice. That is to say, I have submitted an answer, which seemed logically solid, but perhaps a bit too easily obtained. Does the island punish those who float ashore on a wrong answer?
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Took me longer than
It should have, but I am now
On shore - toes in sand.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Ashore!

Something mildly amusing ...

Late this afternoon, I had a lengthy deep teeth cleaning at the periodontist's office. When I got home, it was almost directly to our Geezers' Book Club via Zoom. Through both experiences, I kept thinking, "I want to get back to the puzzle, I want to get back to the puzzle, I want to get back to the puzzle ..."

I do indeed fear that I'm addicted!
Kas

Post by Kas »

On shore! And a no-doubter, fyi.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

damefox wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:56 pm Still filling out the grid here, but I found myself so outraged about one of the clues that I couldn't sit and finish without commenting first. (I don't think this is any way related to the meta, but I'll put a spoiler over it in case people don't want to read about the grid before they finish.) 21A is completely inappropriate. That is not funny - that is not a pun you get to just put a ? after and call it a day. People who are starving are not fasting. As food insecurity rises across the country, this is appalling to see in the WSJ crossword. I may just not finish and break my more than year long streak in protest of this. It's possible yesterday has put me more on edge than I would normally be, but this is simply not okay regardless.
The other day I said to a friend, "You wanna go get dinner?" She said, "Do I ever. I'm starving." Should I have told her that her remark was appalling?
Last edited by Bird Lives on Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Definitely on shore and submitted, but I have no idea how the pieces ordered themselves into the correct answer.

Edit: I see it now...not how my mind automatically thinks to order things (and not an order conducive to revealing itself easily with my solving method), but definitely a solidly good order.
Last edited by MikeM000 on Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Omnibus

Post by Omnibus »

On shore, but there’s crazy stuff going on here. Might go back to the boat.
Omnibus

Post by Omnibus »

Bob Kerfuffle wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:37 pm I'm rather new here, so I will say I am on shore, but I feel as if I am sitting under a palm tree full of ripe coconuts, any one of which may fall on my head without notice. That is to say, I have submitted an answer, which seemed logically solid, but perhaps a bit too easily obtained. Does the island punish those who float ashore on a wrong answer?
A win is a win. Go with it.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Really nice meta. For me it was one of those classic first-look-does-nothing, put it down, make dinner, pour a drink, and take a second look and, BOOM, get that toe-hold in. It fell quickly after that. A fun solve.So glad Pete's doing a 2021 MMMM.
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

On shore, after not seeing it for too long.
sanmilton

Post by sanmilton »

I'm saying I'm on shore. I've submitted an answer, anyway! I had the Martini a couple of hours ago. Maybe I should go back to solving first! My reward will be a square of caramel-filled chocolate.
DaveKennison

Post by DaveKennison »

Ashore (after swimming in circles for quite a while), and a little surprised to find so many others here already!
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

dudeski wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:29 pm As a physician, I will assert that obesity is a bigger problem in the USA.
As a retired medical professional, I agree.
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Ashore. Elegant !
RDaleHall

Post by RDaleHall »

Got to the beach! Tough grid, and saw the shore in a few places... but getting to the end was through some rough waves. Liked the concept here - really fun puzzle. Let’s Go Buckeyes!!!! Having a Johnny Utah to celebrate.
Powers2020

Post by Powers2020 »

Ashore! That was a wicked grid, but loved the meta! Dry January for me so sadly just a ginger ale! :-(