"AP English" - January 8, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
KscX

Post by KscX »

Ashore in the cold white sand of a southern snow with some fancy glass of something from the Willamette Valley. I thought the grid was just challenging enough. With respect and enjoyment, I’m reading everyone’s funny and also thought-provoking posts this evening. Can we get a “haha” button in addition to our thumbs-up? And maybe one of these: 🤔
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

DrTom wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:48 pm
HunterX wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:42 pm
Colin wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:15 am

Hmmm. You have a point. Some people just don’t appreciate the reverence of well-crafted beverages...
https://youtu.be/_akYdDIqYiE
Well bless my soul, as someone who appreciates the reverence of a well-crafted beverage, the kind in which you might make an in-vestment, and certainly would want to drink at the advent of a communion with family and friends, I wouldn't altar your description of the act of indulgence one bit. But I must say, 2020, and the 2020 OT we are in now, has circumcised the Acts of wine drinking to 1) Pop cork, 2) Slosh into nearest glass, 3) Down, 4) Repeat.

(Take it away, Dr. Tom!)

BTW: Haven't started the puzzle yet. Still in port, waiting on the gangplank for my kids to tell me when they have time to zoom. (How long does Counter-Strike take?)
Well I like wine foreplay as much as anyone (kind of why, even though I know they are a superior closure I don't like the Stelvin because they are just grab and screw off) but I am always in a hurry to solve the META. I think part of that is because it usually comes quickly or it does not come at all and then I have to ask for help. So, if I jump on it early I can start getting to the AHA and perhaps even have the rest of the week-end to try another.

Still, as shown in the clip, and emphasized by Hunter, it can be a religious experience that you can get alb tied up with. I confess that there are times I will attempt a Hail Mary and our further paths at the same time, particularly if I have a lot going on and cannot consecrate. I liked this week, but I also like those puzzles that have intersecting lines and the letters at the stations of the cross. The whole META puzzle undertaking was a baptism by fire but I have confirmed my love of the process, and besides if I were to stop admit it, you'd missal me. I hope my positive experience continues because they have to be funeral quit.
2 Hours and 6 minutes? Dr. Tom... :cry: And I had such high, holy hopes.

BTW: On shore. Grid was tough. Took almost 50 minutes! :oops: But the meta came to me (in a shaft of light, a burning bush, and a dream...) after a minute or two.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

Andrew Bradburn wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:12 pm On shore. The mechanism became obvious to me rather quickly, but the solve came a day late due to what I will call here an inelegance. I don't want to say any more about it until Tuesday so as not to be spoilerish. That said, I can sympathize with how difficult it can be to construct any meta-puzzle. I once created a variety meta-puzzle with a somewhat similar inelegance, and it was left in place because I could not, despite a lot of effort, make the puzzle work any other way. Other than that one glitch, I think this is a first-class puzzle!
I agree and am wondering if we are thinking of the same inelegance.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Al Sisti wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:50 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:17 pm
802puzzler wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:25 pm Just finished the grid (tough one), so count me at sea for now. I'll take a jigsaw puzzle break and then come back with fresh eyes and clear mind!
Are you available to help on my Christmas jig saw puzzle? Van Gogh's Starry Night - makes the meta look easy
Man, I'd love to be doing that! Unfortunately, I can't locate the top of my dining room table.
Resized_20201230_120813.jpeg
Hah! -- Knew it all along!
He's actually the Easter Bunny, in Clark Kent disguise, prepping for this spring!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

I just saw the headline "5 Genius Waste-Free Ways to Use Leftover Wine" . I didn't click on it - I have never heard of any such thing as "Leftover Wine".
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Hubris is such a dangerous thing. Just when I thought I was catching on to the various meta constructions, I'm in a London fog. Almost thinking the "asterisks" are a devious diversion. Fortunately Isaac saw me come aboard and stocked up, knowing it might come to this. . . .
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Susan Goldberg wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:54 pm
Andrew Bradburn wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:12 pm On shore. The mechanism became obvious to me rather quickly, but the solve came a day late due to what I will call here an inelegance. I don't want to say any more about it until Tuesday so as not to be spoilerish. That said, I can sympathize with how difficult it can be to construct any meta-puzzle. I once created a variety meta-puzzle with a somewhat similar inelegance, and it was left in place because I could not, despite a lot of effort, make the puzzle work any other way. Other than that one glitch, I think this is a first-class puzzle!
I agree and am wondering if we are thinking of the same inelegance.
At first, I thought that there was an inelegance with the meta solution, but after going back and using my highlighter (one of the solver's tools that I use every week), the inelegance that I sensed went away.

I do agree that clueing was not along the lines of Gaffney or Shenk, but was consistent with what I see in Pete's MMMM.
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

I am on shore.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

SewYoung wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:38 pm I just saw the headline "5 Genius Waste-Free Ways to Use Leftover Wine" . I didn't click on it - I have never heard of any such thing as "Leftover Wine".
Obviously it's for when you are, for instance, cat-sitting for a friend, and you find some at THEIR place while they are away. ALL of their wine is left-over when you get there!

I assume the article talked about how to hide the evidence, or the like.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

We think we are on shore but last week we got the unapproved answer so who knows?
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

Stopping in briefly to report that Dom and I are on shore (I beat him!). Second dose of vaccine received about an hour and a half ago. Now for a quiet evening. Good luck Muggles!
John77

Post by John77 »

Ok, this time I am definitely on shore, sipping a Bénédictine, after one step took far longer than it should have.

Answer has been submitted. Wishing a pleasant weekend to all.
Wir sind zu früh alt und zu spät schlau.
Gman

Post by Gman »

At sea. Oh well. I had a nice streak going but not seeing it this time.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Gman wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:29 pm At sea. Oh well. I had a nice streak going but not seeing it this time.
Don't give up, yet. You still have more than 48 hours before the deadline. Put it aside and look at it again tomorrow. I expect you will see it.
Billy M

Post by Billy M »

Trey wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:57 pm Marion and I are definitely ashore - she did all the rowing and I rowed........oops "rode".

Nice to be 1/1 in 2021 - looking for a mug this year.
Third year hoping for a mug. Maybe this will be the year
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Well, after being referred to another (similar) meta, I was able to crack the code and make the swim to shore. Tried very hard not to see the path to the beach, but here I am. :-) Thx Joe!
dk letter

Post by dk letter »

A quick solve - and a fun one! :-)
MatthewB

Post by MatthewB »

On shore. Great fun....
Plymouthrock

Post by Plymouthrock »

On shore and famished!!! Think I’ll have some ice cream in that rum Hummer.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Ashore.
This old person still in pajamas was finally able to establish the meta beyond a reasonable doubt this morning. But not before tussling with a sly rabbit.
F3E054AD-BA92-4E7B-8768-95D457CBBE8F.jpeg
Like this old guy, who has been known to slip me a few meta answers while on guard duty here by the pond. His sidekick, Louie the goose is standing on the seating bench that houses the big pond pump.
Full disclosure will reveal that we call this “the coffin”, as that’s exactly what it looks like. Its boards are from the deteriorated silo at my childhood farm. Its marble top from a garden bench that no longer had a leg to stand on.
As the world turns...What a fun garden.🐇
Early May photo
Last edited by MaineMarge on Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.