"AP English" - January 8, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
ErikThor

Post by ErikThor »

Made it ashore!
Plymouthrock

Post by Plymouthrock »

Glad to see others not buying into hurt feelings over the word “starve” - imagine what would happen to the Quality of puzzles if constructors had to worry about everyone’s peculiar emotions that belong in the therapist’s office and not on this forum.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final count is 10 on the ship and 182 on the shore.

Joining the ship's fun party are
jhseeman
rosiegirl
Wordsmith
and WSJosh

Making it to shore since lunch are
Nalugirl
Fkelly
zacmoretz and Aunt Norma
Vincent
Commodore
Orsys
Janet P
Eguinan
yourpalsal
Dennis
ErkThor
Mord
and howardl
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

mheberlingx100 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:37 pm
Tom Shea wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:28 pm
HunterX wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:19 pm

Thanks! I always wondered (but not enough to search/check), but doubted it was one and the same, due to the lack of clues/answers with cows, dinosaurs, and frumpy ladies wearing a house dress and cat-eye glasses.
Three of my favorites. (how can you have only three?)

Cows in recliners. Phone rings. "There it goes again. And here we sit without opposable thumbs."
Crow answering phone calling to wife in horn-rimmed glasses: "Doris, phone caw!"
Rat couple arguing: "Clean it up! Clean it up? It's *supposed* to be a rat hole!"
“Now this end is called the thagomizer, after the late Thag Simmons”. And now it’s the accepted name for the spiky tail end of the Stegosaurus!
Or the classics:

Boy carrying books and leaning, pushing hard against the door to a building with a sign "School for the gifted." Door has sign "Pull."

"The real reason the dinosaurs went extinct." Picture of dinosaurs smoking cigarettes.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:50 pm 'caT Fud' sign leading to open dryer door, with curious cat cautiously investigating and dog on darkened blind side wishing, "Please, oh, please, oh..."

(With deep, but not all that sincere, apologies to my younger sister.)
I REMEMBER THAT ONE!!!!!!!!!!! 😆
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
wordsmith

Post by wordsmith »

On shore, just in time, thanks to some helpful nudges!
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

Ashore just in time! Whew!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Dog-wife at kitchen counter, wearing apron & cat-eye glasses. Dog-husband at table, opening a sandwich, peering at her over his shoulder, and thinking, "Another chicken-leg bone... I think she's trying to kill me."
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Martin

Post by Martin »

Ashore. Very busy weekend. Just got to it. Solved the meta in a couple of minutes, but days late. How is that scored?
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Two cows in a field watching Chicago burn: "It seems that Agent xxx has accomplished her mission".
Scraps

Post by Scraps »

I believe it was the Midvale School For The Gifted.

“Oooh! Look what Og do!” Cavemen sitting around fire, painfully cooking meat in their burnt bare hands while one has the meat skewered on a spit.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Sabretooth tigers have eaten a caveman: "I've heard all kinds of sounds from these things, but 'yabba dabba doo' was a new one to me"
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Martin wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:32 pm Ashore. Very busy weekend. Just got to it. Solved the meta in a couple of minutes, but days late. How is that scored?
A solve is a solve. All solvers have the same chance at a mug as long as the answer is submitted timely.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Hmmm favorite Gary Larson cartoon - like picking your favorite bourbon/wine/pizza/etc. it all depends on where you are and who you are with. That said, the one that I first saw and still makes me chuckle today (even now as I write this): Group of cows standing in the field smoking and talking, next frame one cow yells "CAR", next frame all cows grazing in the field, next frame (with car gone) back up talking...I wonder to this day whenever I pass a herd of cows in a field.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
ReB

Post by ReB »

Landed my boat on the shore (without nudges) literally at the 11th hour when a wind gust of insight suddenly filled my sails, and then I found the navigation guide to the beach. Was really sweating bricks while stuck in irons until then.

Three weeks ago I had a Sunday night breakthrough too. Hope this doesn't become a pattern; it's tough on the nerves.
ReB

Post by ReB »

The most memorable Larson cartoon for me that is too often close to home is the picture of a building labeled "Crisis Center" with flames leaping out of it floating down rapids and about to go over a waterfall.

The next one is a picture of two dinosaurs smoking cigarettes, one of whom is lighting up a third dinosaur's cigarette with a match, with the caption "The real reason dinosaurs became extinct".
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Tom Shea wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:42 pm
DrTom wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:38 pm By the by - dis anyone do the Saturday Crossword by Gary Larson? I thought it immensely clever. The answers were of course interesting but the cluing...I assume this is the "Far Side" Gary Larson and I have always liked his rather twisted humor. But if it is NOT that Gary Larson, I like his twisted humor as well.
Different guy, but also enjoyable.
Thanks Tom, I tired to look it up but really did not get anything confirmatory. As a speaker I often "borrowed" his cartoons to add levity to a stirring discussion of say " Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Agents and their Effect on Renal Perfusion" which sorely needed levity.

Imagine a cartoon showing a group of surgeons extracting a porcupine from the belly of a patient and saying "Well I guess that explains the abdominal pain"

CARTOON REMOVED - HEAD HUNG SHEEPISHLY - THOUGH THANKFULLY NOT FROM A PLAQUE ON THE WALL

I've often wondered if using one without asking was considered Larsony? (was alerted to comment from Gary Larson RE: "borrowed" works https://www.thefarside.com/about/48/a-l ... ary-larson)
Last edited by DrTom on Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

DrTom wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:37 pm Thanks Tom, I tired to look it up but really did not get anything confirmatory. As a speaker I often "borrowed" his cartoons to add levity to a stirring discussion of say " Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Agents and their Effect on Renal Perfusion" which sorely needed levity.

I've often wondered if using one without asking was considered Larsony?
a-letter-from-gary-larson

𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

Waiting for the answer drop - it should happen AP any time now
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20210108 WSJCC AP English.gif
Last edited by Joe Ross on Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,