"The Party Starts at 10" - December 31, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
John77

Post by John77 »

Tom Shea wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:50 pm Apologies in advance for bad taste, but I couldn't help but think of Monty Python's "Bring out your dead" in solving this puzzle. Morbidly apropos for 2020.

Luckily, I submitted "Ring in the new"
Dark humor indeed, but still humor. "I think I'm goin' for a walk..."
Last edited by John77 on Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wir sind zu früh alt und zu spät schlau.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

DrTom wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:22 pm
Tom Shea wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:44 pm
HunterX wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:25 pm ...
I'll sit this one out and just observe.

As Clint Eastwood said: "A man has got to know his limitations"

The more obscure you think the topic is, the easier it is for those evil punsters. I went to a science and engineering school, where everything is (supposedly) serious. It was fertile territory.
HA, you want to see irreverence spend some time with health care people. We usually have a dark and somewhat adult sense of humor to help alleviate the angst that accompanies the less desirable parts of the job.

Oh, and fertile territory, that is of course the OB/GYB floor. No matter how big you originally build it there is always womb to grow.
Plus, and even though I won't give away the answer, if anyone ever asks you what kind of cars Gynecologists drive, here's a hint - they are Swedish.
Spend time with health care people?
From an earlier post:
"The Missus retired from running the endoscopy unit at MGH. If you want potty humor, they were full of it. (It makes for a *very* interesting endoscopy when you know everyone in the room.) Myself, I've had a potty mouth since working on submarines for the department of the navy. ...and it went down from there."

I met the Missus working the same hospital as her. Started in the thoracic surgery ICU/RR second shift. Saw a few dozen open heart massages there (hint -- the surgeons were mostly horrible). Was on the code team. We normally ate in the cafeteria seconds before place closed. Usually the only thing that was left was (old) grilled cheese sandwiches and spaghetti with red sauce. It was a game to describe the day's gore to everyone at the table during dinner just to see who would need to leave the table before finishing (hint #2: it was never me). The jokes that were told there would have gotten *everyone* at the table fired if said in these pc times.

Then again, I have to look away every time I have my blood drawn.

Joke at Endoscopy Holiday party:
God was an engineer.
Really, what kind of engineer?
Electrical Engineer: Had to be an Electrical Engineer. The human body operates by electrical impulses.
Chemical Engineer: Had to be an Chemical Engineer. The human body operates by chemical reactions.
Mechanical Engineer: Had to be an Mechanical Engineer. The human body is just an intricate machine.
Civil Engineer: Had to be an Civil Engineer. Who else would put an effluent system next to a recreation area?
Rufus T. Firefly
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

DrTom wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:06 pm
...I went to Howe's Caverns a MILLION years ago) and figured it was the closest I could get. However, IF I am ever actually there you can be sure that I will visit the Oracle of Utica and enjoy some alcoholic indulgence.
As it turns out, some breweries actually store beer in the depths of Howe Caverns, since the temperature is always 52 degrees.
C=64

Post by C=64 »

This is my darling Clementine.
20201104_214757.jpg
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

Bob cruise director wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:38 pm Note that the constructor of Wednesday's WSJ crossword is one of our own
Great job Emma! Enjoyed it!!
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

tim1217 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:22 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:38 pm Note that the constructor of Wednesday's WSJ crossword is one of our own
Loved it, Emma! (Still on the couch with your MMM; saw that you had posted your three hints, but I'm not going to use them until I get desperate, or run out of time, whichever comes first! :D )
Sara
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

tim1217 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:22 pm
So did I! I didn’t see your name until I finished the puzzle and thought “I really enjoyed that one, who was the creator?”
KayW

Post by KayW »

otlaolap wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:06 pm
In this group of Muggles, then, is she a peerlesspeer?
Waited for morning :sauropod: :newspaper: to solve... NOW I get it :D
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Well...I might have taken poetic license with locations but since I wanted to be: In a cabin, by a cavern excavating for a mime
Damn, I thought for sure this was the set-up for an unspeakably funny pun.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Cindy N wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:04 am
Well...I might have taken poetic license with locations but since I wanted to be: In a cabin, by a cavern excavating for a mime
Gosh, I was very proud of Excavating for a mime versus the original song words. The fact that you did not find it funny leaves me speechless. I guess I Marcelled myself short. (Oh, and before you ask, a short mime only acts out 4 letter words - gets them in trouble EVERY time!)

However, since I am always ready to learn/steal good material, what was the pun you were expecting (as in Oscar Wilde says to Elizabeth Barrett Browning, "Am I the pun you were expecting?", "No" replied she, "I'm just wasting a little rhyme."
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

DrTom wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:23 pm
Gosh, I was very proud of Excavating for a mime versus the original song words. The fact that you did not find it funny leaves me speechless. I guess I Marcelled myself short. (Oh, and before you ask, a short mime only acts out 4 letter words - gets them in trouble EVERY time!)

However, since I am always ready to learn/steal good material, what was the pun you were expecting (as in Oscar Wilde says to Elizabeth Barrett Browning, "Am I the pun you were expecting?", "No" replied she, "I'm just wasting a little rhyme."
Attachments
dt890809dhc0.gif
Rufus T. Firefly
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Tom Shea wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:11 pm

Normally I'd agree but I worked too hard for MIME and considered it quite a find. Let's face it, a find is a terrible thing to waste....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

DrTom wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:56 pm
Tom Shea wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:11 pm

Normally I'd agree but I worked too hard for MIME and considered it quite a find. Let's face it, a find is a terrible thing to waste....
...and a mind can be a terrible thing.
...or something like that.

I have a lot of Dilberts, but I'm afraid of copyright police. And the real police. And I don't like the group The Police.

I change my linkedin profile today to be operations manager at "Parrot no more" productions. Got a dozen congrats. I'd guess half didn't know it was a fake job. Google "Parrot no more" if the reference it too obscure, and don't come here for abuse if you want an argument, or even if you don't want an argument.
Rufus T. Firefly
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

waiting for this weeks contest, coming in 3, 2, 1... :mrgreen:
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *