"Past and Present" - December 24, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Rate the difficulty of the meta
Locked
User avatar
jhseeman
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:33 pm

Re: "Past and Present" December 24, 2020

#301

Post by jhseeman » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:35 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:05 am
On shore!

First meta solved on a plane, breathing that clean 42D air.

Merry Christmas!
42D... who did you get mad? did you need to pack a lunch to make it back that far?

User avatar
KscX
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat May 02, 2020 12:09 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

#302

Post by KscX » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:26 pm

Ashore- Merry Christmas and happy football!

User avatar
norrin2
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:41 pm
Location: Charleston SC

#303

Post by norrin2 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:27 pm

Ashore finally. All I had to do was stare at the thing for several days and it popped out at me. Maybe the muttering under my breathy helped too.

User avatar
DrTom
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:46 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

#304

Post by DrTom » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:27 pm

jhseeman wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:35 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:05 am
On shore!

First meta solved on a plane, breathing that clean 42D air.

Merry Christmas!
42D... who did you get mad? did you need to pack a lunch to make it back that far?
I hepa you're not feeling up in the air about it because it is an accomplishment. On a plane I usually just wing it because I'm afraid all my mumbling and cursing will aileronate people.

User avatar
DrTom
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:46 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

#305

Post by DrTom » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:34 pm

HunterX wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:57 am
DrTom wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:39 pm
HunterX wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:57 pm


While Dr. Tom's punning might be contagious, it seems to have acted as a vaccine for me. I mean, much as I love puns, how could I compete with the master?

Dr. Tom - My kids and fiancée all thank you for the best present of the year!

Is it time for the "Airing of the grievances"? I want to complain about my lost ability to pun. Where's Milt Famie when you need him?
That's me, Jack of all Tirades, Master of Pun....

Actually I do believe we have the cure for what ails you, the DTP Vaccine. No not the Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis one that is so well known, this is the Delirium, Tetany and Percussion one. It causes you to crazily strike a drum whose membrane is stretched way too tight. The desired result is that you eventually snare a pun, now isn't that a fine kettle of fish. Granted some people go bongo before they ever reach the desired endpoint and some scream out Tom, Tom I'm beat! Those people eventually end up in the Tympany Hall, reserved for those who have struck out. Let me know if you want the treatment and I'll put the appropriate cymbal on your chart....
That's pretty bass, as far as puns go. I'd kick the habit. (But then you'd be nun the wiser.)
I think you are getting rather high-hat on me! Kick the habit, I'll bet we alb wish I could but at this point I'm vested in in. Looks like I had and apse of judgement and am out of the frying pan and into the friar. :roll:

Henry Paul
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:13 pm

#306

Post by Henry Paul » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:02 pm

Ashore! after weeks and weeks and weeks of glumly watching everyone make it. (It's enough to put you off these things!)

Here's to a better 2021, for all of us!

User avatar
DBMiller
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:59 pm
Location: New Hampshire

#307

Post by DBMiller » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:05 pm

HunterX wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:57 pm
While Dr. Tom's punning might be contagious, it seems to have acted as a vaccine for me. I mean, much as I love puns, how could I compete with the master?
You can't compete with the master. If you use cross words, he'll Punjab you with a right across and knock you down. So grid/gird your loins and prepare for battle. We have no clue how to defeat him.

User avatar
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:38 pm
Location: any golf course that will take my money

#308

Post by Bob cruise director » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:12 pm

A belated Sunday report as I was attempting to replace my daughter's kitchen sink faucet - unsuccessful as that nut that holds it on was rusted forever and needs someone with a sawsall to cut the faucet off.

On a positive note, we have several new muggles including Arthur Q. Wells, Guy Wyo and collegecrossworders (not sure which college). we welcome all of them.

We have 7 now keeping Isaac company and 183 on the shore

New to the shore since yesterday are
cbarbee002 (I think)
and copperriver

Making their way to the shore are
EVJ
maprasad
Arthur
Debbie
Colin
Amanda Hugginkiss
Nlobb
phofer
Plymouth Rock
Ann
Guy Wyo
Brian M (who was there but forgot to post :-(
Cosmo
ADS
Crest
Jarrod
horsesense
collegecroworders (by the way how many of you are there and what will you do if you win the mug)
Fishoutowater - who had one of the better lines after getting a nudge
flamingbear
Lyman
KscX
norrin2
Bic Mac
Henry Paul
and Susie G

Good luck to all winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director

VincentM
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:36 pm
Location: Aurora, CO

#309

Post by VincentM » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:23 pm

Ashore. Finally!
no .sig, no avatar, just puzzlin' fun

User avatar
ajk
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:22 pm

#310

Post by ajk » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:59 pm

Pretty sure I'm on the same beach as the crowd, though as this is my first time here I'm not sure if there's supposed to be a confirmation somewhere. Does seem to be a fair amount of noise near the tiki bar though, so probably the right spot. Hopefully the supply of maitais is holding out.

WSJosh
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri May 08, 2020 9:20 am
Location: Nashville, TN

#311

Post by WSJosh » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:23 pm

Ashore—finally had a chance to looks at the Meta while driving home; glad to close out the year with absolved puzzle.

User avatar
DrTom
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:46 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

#312

Post by DrTom » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:57 pm

DBMiller wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:05 pm
HunterX wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:57 pm
While Dr. Tom's punning might be contagious, it seems to have acted as a vaccine for me. I mean, much as I love puns, how could I compete with the master?
You can't compete with the master. If you use cross words, he'll Punjab you with a right across and knock you down. So grid/gird your loins and prepare for battle. We have no clue how to defeat him.
I'm not going to Punjab you, that would have been yesterday! Instead I might just invite you to the Dehli so we could get pastrami all of this (he said with a ryely). I mean I don't want you to think I am a sauerkraut loser!

User avatar
DrTom
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:46 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

#313

Post by DrTom » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:01 pm

Jeanrosz wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:00 am
New meta on Washington post. 5x5. Solved grid but no meta yet..
Nice puzzle, BIG puzzle! I have the grid and know what I have to do, I just don't know how to do it. I'm also thinking that there is a couple of chances to mess up depending on ordering? Well, I'll se. I am working Tuesday and Wednesday but since I got the WSJCC and blew the MGWCC I have nothing but time until then. Thank you for the heads up.

matthewmoravec
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:37 am

#314

Post by matthewmoravec » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:03 pm

Finally back in business, cute puzzle.

User avatar
hcbirker
Posts: 685
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:24 pm
Location: Studio City, CA

#315

Post by hcbirker » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:30 pm

DrTom wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:01 pm
Jeanrosz wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:00 am
New meta on Washington post. 5x5. Solved grid but no meta yet..
Nice puzzle, BIG puzzle! I have the grid and know what I have to do, I just don't know how to do it. I'm also thinking that there is a couple of chances to mess up depending on ordering? Well, I'll se. I am working Tuesday and Wednesday but since I got the WSJCC and blew the MGWCC I have nothing but time until then. Thank you for the heads up.
Barbara K started a thread on this puzzle. Look for it in "Other Meta Puzzles".
Heidi

User avatar
Scott Medvetz
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:10 pm
Location: Charlottesville, VA

#316

Post by Scott Medvetz » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:58 pm

A Sisti-like performance once I got home from my travels and got to the puzzle. All of 15 minutes from printout to solve. I have a feeling I'm not the only one.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

User avatar
MajordomoTom
Posts: 770
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:09 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

#317

Post by MajordomoTom » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:58 pm

DrTom wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:57 pm
DBMiller wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:05 pm
HunterX wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:57 pm
While Dr. Tom's punning might be contagious, it seems to have acted as a vaccine for me. I mean, much as I love puns, how could I compete with the master?
You can't compete with the master. If you use cross words, he'll Punjab you with a right across and knock you down. So grid/gird your loins and prepare for battle. We have no clue how to defeat him.
I'm not going to Punjab you, that would have been yesterday! Instead I might just invite you to the Dehli so we could get pastrami all of this (he said with a ryely). I mean I don't want you to think I am a sauerkraut loser!
you slaw me.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.

User avatar
Joedbee
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:12 pm

#318

Post by Joedbee » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:33 pm

Onshore...!!

User avatar
rexthree
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:49 pm

#319

Post by rexthree » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:16 pm

made it to shore!

Hidden in 3D
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:42 pm

#320

Post by Hidden in 3D » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:48 pm

On shore at last! I completed the grid on Wednesday evening, just didn't have much time to devote to the meta until today. I looked at it a few times in between wrapping the last couple of presents and preparing Christmas dinner for hubby, son, daughter and SIL (who drove up from Charlotte with their dogs). Our house hasn't been so full of fun and laughter in many months! Today we took a road trip to visit our other daughter, SIL and sweet granddaughter. The meta method came to me while I was washing up the dinner dishes. What a perfect way to end a perfect weekend! And tomorrow I can devote all my time to playing with my granddaughter and her Bitty Baby.
Sara

Locked