"Risky Business" - December 11, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
wordsmith

Post by wordsmith »

I’m exploring two possible rabbit holes that might lead to an answer...can I ask for a nudge in the right direction? Thanks!
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

I am stuck. Tried four different things and nothing works. If anyone wants to give a nudge thank you in advance!
WSJosh

Post by WSJosh »

Still stuck at sea...
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

MaineMarge wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:31 pm
HeadinHome wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:04 pm Also - just followed the links for this week’s “celebrity focus” and see that Wendy W and I also share a MIDDLE name, even spelled the same (Lee), and share writing/editing and outdoors/gardening as interests, apparently. If we happened to have the same birthday or something, that would be fun! 😊
It IS fun to share a birthday with Wendy. We are both September 6 Virgos.
Welp- that leaves me out. May 14 Taurus here. 🐂
The other Wendy. :roll:
John77

Post by John77 »

Count me at sea. I think I've covered most or all of the rabbit holes. Time to go for a walk.
Wir sind zu früh alt und zu spät schlau.
John77

Post by John77 »

DrTom wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:28 pm Well now, I am ashore but not submitting because I got way too much help. I had a witty idea very early on, but it turns out I had only half of the idea so, and Dad turns out you were right all those times, I'm a half witty!

It does annoy me that Mike and Matt can fool me so regularly and that they come up with these masterpieces after what must be endless hours of contemplation and rearrangement (and if there are NOT endless hours of contemplation and rearrangement it annoys me even more deeply). But I am hooked and apparently so is everyone else. It is, as this cartoon (again stolen but not used for gain or advertisement so I don't feel that bad about it) clearly shows:

Meta Contagious.jpg
Haven't seen a Gahan Wilson for many years. Thanks for the post!
Wir sind zu früh alt und zu spät schlau.
Colin

Post by Colin »

The grid took too long,
F1 and soccer - time gone.
Onboard and in song!
One world. One planet. One future.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Onshore thanks to a nudge from boharr. Not submitting.
mitchel674

Post by mitchel674 »

I'd love a nudge at this late hour. I've exhausted my skills after two weeks in a row of easy solves.
mpmanning

Post by mpmanning »

Staying aboard. I've sent in an answer, but it's not one I feel real comfy with.
wordsmith

Post by wordsmith »

wordsmith wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:54 pm I’m exploring two possible rabbit holes that might lead to an answer...can I ask for a nudge in the right direction? Thanks!
On shore! Thanks for the kind responses!
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

I'm glued to a deck chair on the ship. Have searched oodles of rabbit holes, but I haven't cracked the code. Oh well, next week is another opportunity!
Inca

Post by Inca »

Did the grid on Thursday and saw nothing. Just came back to it now, hoping it would pop for me, but it didn't. Somehow, I can't seem to focus on these for too long anymore.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final report has our newest muggles Billy M and jhseeman and we have 39 on the ship and 126 on the shore.

Staying on the ship for the week are
Haari
whimsy
lbary53
gatogato
jhseeman
Colin
mpmanning
John77
WSJosh
mitchel674
Inca
and 802 puzzler

Making their way to the ship since lunch are
Jeanrosz
larrry
jrdad
Paul D
headinHome
JaneGummy
Domenic
rosiegirl
bskptkl
Powers2020
Drtom
Nlobb
phofer
Billy M
Jeremy
and Wordsmith

Good luck to all winning the mug and stay safe
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
M and M

Post by M and M »

Squeaking across the finish line with only a few hours to spare - we have been down rabbit holes too numerous to count! But as usual, once you have it, you know you have it. WHEW!
KscX

Post by KscX »

I’m ashore thanks to kind nudgers. Still satisfying, though!! The beauty of the meta. Won’t submit and kudos to all of you whole solvers.
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

Joe Ross was kind enough to send me a private message with a nudge, a punch, and a sledgehammer blow (the latter two concealed behind "spoiler" triggers), and as a result I am now able to say for sure that I am a fully-signed-up full-week bemused and confused resident of the Good Ship.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

CaptureUsers.JPG
They don't call it "Users" for nothin'!
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

HunterX wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:57 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:15 pm
Cap'n Rick wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:36 pm

Agreed. When it comes to puns, I can't hold a cannula to Dr. Tom. (Ok, I'll stop.)
I cassowary eye at these putrid puns.
Oh dear. I apologize to the entire Muggle community if I started this pun-up-manship trend.

On the other hand, I've learned that this group harbors both a data collecting, stat crunching, geek club, as well as a "Last Pun Wins" club! My fiancée will be happy I have found like-minded souls, assuming it means I no longer have to torture her with such things. ("You mean that isn't why you fell in love with me, hun?")
Are you saying you dingo out all weekend?

For database porpoises, I remain on ship.
Good job solvers and best of luck snagging that holiday season mug.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

I wallaby able to say that I am shore. Sadly, that is still not the case. Hoping for post-enlightenment some time in the next hour and 18 minutes.