"Risky Business" - December 11, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Commodore wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:38 am DeMornay After
Isaac, ‘nuther round of Schlitz and Old Milwaukee for this crew. Yeah, in cans. Take those ol’ records off the shelf, and spin a lil’ Bob Seger. I cracked my egg on this one. “Cruise” director, indeed. Hmmph. Risky Business, this partying at home. (hiccup)
Shenk. There is no substitute.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

lbray53 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:07 am
Tom Shea wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:14 am I suppose I should have got this one (I recall another 'prime' puzzle). Just not to be. I do have a whinge on not including 1 as a prime number -- it is. But I suppose that would have made the answer too easy to find.

Anyway, at least Isaac isn't lonely anymore.
The strict definition of a prime number is that it must have exactly two factors, namely 1 and itself. The number 1 has one factor. Kudos to the constructor for getting this right.

BTW, I know this mainly because I learned it the hard way long ago. It cost me a grade getting it wrong.
I started out with including 1 and immediately got OLIVE but when I moved on to the next letters it became obvious that 1 was not a prime. My senior moment problem was that after I did the first 10 or I included the number in the box so It one point I had Live on Bo (some gibberish)ed Time. Minor course correction.

And as a minor distraction, Risky Business is a ski trail at Sunday River in Maine.

and I agree with not including 1 as it falls in a special category called a "unit" (special for muggle nerds)
Last edited by Bob cruise director on Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
NuYear68

Post by NuYear68 »

I remained on the ship again this weekend. After a quick grid solve, I knew that I was looking for something below prime, but never thought to consider prime numbers. Was instead looking for patterns within the grid, wondering what grades of steak fall below Prime, etc.

I fear I have placed a jynx on myself for December. After going 4-for-4 in November, I looked back at my batting average for 2020 and was happily sitting at .670. Now 0-for-2 this month with three games to go.
Prozach

Post by Prozach »

My first case of "I had the mechanic down" but dropped the ball gloriously. I marked a couple of wrong letters in Joe's fabulous spreadsheet and couldn't come up with anything sensible with the first half of the primes. So, I abandoned it so I can dive down holes and holes of nothing. It's good I didn't spend too much time, because I was busy grading all weekend. Oh, well.
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

I was looking at words under the prime numbers and got nothing. I was going to try something else and was telling my husband (who hates crosswords) I was getting nowhere. He insisted it must have to do with prime numbers. So I thought some more and came up with the idea that it was just the letter under the number and there it was!!! So clever a construction once again.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

burak wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:26 am There was another WSJ meta from a couple of years ago, also involving clue numbers and letters. It was either prime numbers or multiples of a number. That's also something I check frequently, so this should've been an easy solve for me... BUT [Collection of miscellany] next to [T option] right on top of BILLMEDLEY threw me off hugely. (T option as in T-bills)

Obsessing over that, I tried to link [Police car] to AUTOREPAIR, [Mentally confused] to MAILSOFF, [Credit report listing] to LENDING or even BILL... I then tried to cross reference clues (like [Big do] and [Do penance]). I added ACROSS to beginning of clues to see if there's something there. Nope. Can I make something out of VNECKOLIO or UNITATONE? Nope.

At around 11:45 pm I started circling letters of suspected answers for one last push, starting with those that I was very sure involved in the answer: OLIO and VNECK. Is there a word in there? Can I backsolve this? OV------ maybe, like over- something? How about OLIVE? LIVE? And then it hit me. cbarbee had offered an 11th hour nudge to help and even though I avoid nudges I asked him to confirm I was definitely on the right track because duh. I was so damn sure, and being so damn sure of my wrong path led me to the right path somehow.

Still, my closest-to-deadline solve remains FADETOBLACK, which came to me at 11:57 pm. Won't ever beat that.
The previous WSJ meta was 6-1-18. I didn't get that one, but I remembered its use of prime numbers. But, not before feeling stumped for a long time.
Cynthia
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

debbierudy wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:13 am One of the reasons I enjoyed this solution is my love of prime numbers. For years I taught my general math students about prime factorization with an analogy: a composite number is like a cake, and the primes that make it are like the list of ingredients. Multiply them together and voila! But it is easier to break down a number into its components than it is to unbake a cake :)
I like prime numbers too. FIve of my six grandchildren have birthdays that are prime numbers. When I figured out what was going on, I recalled having learned about the sieve of Eratosthenes.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I have a huge blind spot when it comes to numbers. The one big hole I got into was Mike's clueing. "Bits of wisdom" is often "pearls", but "adages" was the answer. So I saw "earls" at 25 down and thought, oh, you add a letter to some of the words, which got me "pearls" and "bonus" and "folio", which of course led nowhere. Congrats to those that figured it out!
Heidi
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

DrTom wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:19 pm
HunterX wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:44 pm
DrTom wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:25 pm OK, MGWCC was pretty simple - fun but simple - so now all hands on deck for this one. Unfortunately with my hands on the deck I am probably ripe for what will befall me! Same precarious position as when you put your nose to the grindstone (ouch!) and your ear to the ground. Maybe I'll just bury my head in the sand because there is something in the way EMUved me (ouch, that one even hurt me!).
All hands on deck? I can deal with that.

May I just say, I love a bad pun as much as the next guy...

...but only when I'm the one making them. "EMUved" on the other hand... You'll 'roo the day you used that Australian animal in a pun.
Well I agree on bad puns (assuming there is actually anything like a 'bad" pun) and that ostrich sometimes to make one work. I get caught up in the tasmania of it all and turn into a little devil, but that is because I keep trying to make the grade instead of being a punning wallaby since no matter how fast I am there is always someone quokka. Instead I'll just wait for my favorite Month (March) because on the 15th Ides like to look back on the day before and instead of pie I honor the day and make MAR soupial, I don't know if I am odd or just stubborn, perhaps that is why I am considered a kooky burro? Well, if you'll excuse me I have to go to the potoroo....

Oh, and I'll bet you cannula hold the line on me, unless it gets late on a Sunday evening and I find I have to punt. Those are the days that I just cede the ride to shore and sit down with a book by my favorite author, Willa Catheter.

If your ears are bleeding don't blame me, I wasn't the one who told me how I'd roo the day! Bad puns indeed....

crack_bad_puns_0.jpg
Puns! I'd like to see even moa.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

HunterX wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:29 pm
DrTom wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:19 pm
HunterX wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:44 pm

All hands on deck? I can deal with that.

May I just say, I love a bad pun as much as the next guy...

...but only when I'm the one making them. "EMUved" on the other hand... You'll 'roo the day you used that Australian animal in a pun.
Well I agree on bad puns (assuming there is actually anything like a 'bad" pun) and that ostrich sometimes to make one work. I get caught up in the tasmania of it all and turn into a little devil, but that is because I keep trying to make the grade instead of being a punning wallaby since no matter how fast I am there is always someone quokka. Instead I'll just wait for my favorite Month (March) because on the 15th Ides like to look back on the day before and instead of pie I honor the day and make MAR soupial, I don't know if I am odd or just stubborn, perhaps that is why I am considered a kooky burro? Well, if you'll excuse me I have to go to the potoroo....

Oh, and I'll bet you cannula hold the line on me, unless it gets late on a Sunday evening and I find I have to punt. Those are the days that I just cede the ride to shore and sit down with a book by my favorite author, Willa Catheter.

If your ears are bleeding don't blame me, I wasn't the one who told me how I'd roo the day! Bad puns indeed....

crack_bad_puns_0.jpg
Uncle!!! Uncle!!! You win! Please! I'll do whatever you want! Just stop and let me go!

I humbly bow to the master.
I once told ten puns in a row trying to get a laugh. No pun in ten did.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

I refuse to give the previous post a thumbs up, on principle.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Email from Mike Miller, just received:

"Here's a copy while we sort out that glitch."

XWD12142020. PDF

𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

So impressed with people who got this, and got it quickly. Geniuses! Hopefully the lesson will lodge somewhere among my grey cells in an accessible location for future metas... :D
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:02 am I refuse to give the previous post a thumbs up, on principle.
I blame Dr Tom for all these groaners
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:39 am
Joe Ross wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:02 am I refuse to give the previous post a thumbs up, on principle.
I blame Dr Tom for all these groaners
Oh, I thought is was funny enough, if a little overused, but - given the pun - there's no way I'm laughing at it, or giving it a thumb's up.

Blaming DrTom for anything is easy and 99 & 64/100ths effective.

𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

higgysue wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:34 am
Colin wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:56 am Neat meta and grid,
Clouds covered the solution,
And hid Geminids! :(
Saw those Geminids this morning. Glorious!
I was thinking "Good night for looking for meteors snice I will be up anyway waiting for the puzzle solution." Sadly, it was pouring rain so I went on to bed. Maybe tonight...
John77

Post by John77 »

Tom Shea wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:14 am I suppose I should have got this one (I recall another 'prime' puzzle). Just not to be. I do have a whinge on not including 1 as a prime number -- it is. But I suppose that would have made the answer too easy to find.

I always wondered about 1 as well. Then there's this: https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/ro ... me-number/
Wir sind zu früh alt und zu spät schlau.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Monday's WSJ Crossword PDF is now available on the WSJ Puzzles pages, also.

Clear your browser's history, if you get 2 blank pages.

𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

I teach math, so I'm always very grateful for puzzles like this. On the other hand, anything having to do with geography makes me openly weep.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

1 is definitely not prime