"Connect Four" - December 4, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Had to go through a lot of bourbon to collect the series - - labor of love.

Blanton Caps.gif.jpg
Jaclyn

Post by Jaclyn »

On shore!

Did the grid last night, was about halfway to the meta before breaking for the evening. Took another look this morning and saw it right away. Given that I'm a SUPER novice (I think this is the 3rd time I'll submit an answer?), I agree that the number of solves will be high.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

hcbirker wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:59 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:37 am Good Saturday morning Muggles

I think you missed me. #155
I thought I had as you were next on my list but could not find your post.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

MaineMarge wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:53 am That sound of defeat you hear is coming from me. I thought I had given it my best shot but I still don’t have a handle on the meta- long or short. So on to happier thoughts while I continue to mull it over.

16156936-4C2E-4B15-A8F2-4AA63286EDB4.jpeg
Our oldest and most 24A garden backed by the tall cedars you saw earlier being pruned by the delightful 23 year old young man. It looks like the garden has been 56D with great care with a long handled tool.
A homegrown peony forefront.
June 2020
MaineMarge--you need to host a garden tour! Your pictures are always spectacular.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Greetings Muggles. Just joined after getting to know you all since reading the March WSJ article about you. As someone who does the puzzle Friday evening at the earliest, I'll never beat Al Sisti to the beach. But I thought it was time to say "Hi."

Oh, and I couldn't resist posting this:
image.png

Oh, and I made it to shore very quickly this week, similar to most of you.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

cbarbee002 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:02 pm Had to go through a lot of bourbon to collect the series - - labor of love.

Blanton Caps.gif.jpg
OK, so that's almost the Belmont. You still need the Preakness, and the Derby, better get drinking! We will schedule your liver enzyme tests for later....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:37 am Good Saturday morning Muggles

i am starting this early as it will take time.....
.....surge has put us over the 800 mark as we now have 805 who have declared themselves on the ship or shore at least once.

And we have 5 on the ship and 171.....

Good luck to all winning the mug and stay safe
What a great guy! :)
Bob, I hope Santa delivers you a gift certificate to your local orthopedist for your carpal tunnel syndrome!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MaineMarge wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:53 am That sound of defeat you hear is coming from me. I thought I had given it my best shot but I still don’t have a handle on the meta- long or short. So on to happier thoughts while I continue to mull it over.

16156936-4C2E-4B15-A8F2-4AA63286EDB4.jpeg
Our oldest and most 24A garden backed by the tall cedars you saw earlier being pruned by the delightful 23 year old young man. It looks like the garden has been 56D with great care with a long handled tool.
A homegrown peony forefront.
June 2020
I've toured a few gardens in Europe and I tell you I'd gladly pay to tour yours - BEAUTIFUL!!! Add a few fountains and we'll rename it the Margoli Gardens!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Crest

Post by Crest »

Safely ashore.
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

On shore. Happy to be there, though not as quickly as some.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

HunterX wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:05 pm Greetings Muggles. Just joined after getting to know you all since reading the March WSJ article about you. As someone who does the puzzle Friday evening at the earliest, I'll never beat Al Sisti to the beach. But I thought it was time to say "Hi."

image.png

Welcome to the clan. I love the picture
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

On shore. I really appreciate the intricate construction!
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Add me to the ever lengthening on shore list. Had a brief misstep when I tried something in the wrong spot. Recognized my error and solved it yesterday.

And to add to the bourbon talk - although I do enjoy it when I can, I'm also a big fan of barrel aged beers. There was nothing quite so much fun as introducing my know-it-all brothers to that concept a few years ago at Christmas, when I brought KBS, Central Waters and a couple of others to mom's house for the get-together. You can explain it all you want, but until someone takes that first sip, they don't really "get it". The look on their faces was priceless.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Cindy N wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:31 pm Add me to the ever lengthening on shore list. Had a brief misstep when I tried something in the wrong spot. Recognized my error and solved it yesterday.

And to add to the bourbon talk - although I do enjoy it when I can, I'm also a big fan of barrel aged beers. There was nothing quite so much fun as introducing my know-it-all brothers to that concept a few years ago at Christmas, when I brought KBS, Central Waters and a couple of others to mom's house for the get-together. You can explain it all you want, but until someone takes that first sip, they don't really "get it". The look on their faces was priceless.
My son is a brewer at Bottle Logic in Anaheim. They make barrel aged beers. They are the most popular!
Heidi
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

hcbirker wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:47 pm
Cindy N wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:31 pm Add me to the ever lengthening on shore list. Had a brief misstep when I tried something in the wrong spot. Recognized my error and solved it yesterday.

My son is a brewer at Bottle Logic in Anaheim. They make barrel aged beers. They are the most popular!
Heidi - so you have been holding out on this critical information from your muggle friends?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

On the beach at last, somewhat red-faced - not from sunburn, but from embarrassment. I tried to make finding the meta solution WAAAY harder than it needed to be. Always a good idea to put it down and come back later with fresh eyes!
Sara
flamingbear

Post by flamingbear »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:16 pm
flamingbear wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:02 pm Count me on shore.
One bear on the shore. What kind of beer do bears drink?
We’re not picky these days, pils and wheats in the summer, spicy darks in the winter
Matt / Flamingbear
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Hidden in 3D wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:19 pm On the beach at last, somewhat red-faced - not from sunburn, but from embarrassment. I tried to make finding the meta solution WAAAY harder than it needed to be. Always a good idea to put it down and come back later with fresh eyes!
I did the exact same thing. I kicked myself a bit when I finally saw it!
Heidi
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:09 pm
HunterX wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:05 pm Greetings Muggles. Just joined after getting to know you all since reading the March WSJ article about you. As someone who does the puzzle Friday evening at the earliest, I'll never beat Al Sisti to the beach. But I thought it was time to say "Hi."

image.png

Welcome to the clan. I love the picture
Thank you! Happy to join this friendly bunch.

Glad you like the picture. I'll make it my avatar.
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

On shore, not as quick a solve as the past two weeks but I liked it. Too early to tipple as we are babysitting tonight but that should provide plenty of reason to sip bourbon afterward...