"Closing Credits" - November 13, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Abide wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:50 pm Maybe I’ll go join a book club with TPS. ☹️
You kid - but I actually thought about trying to start one via Zoom because there a bunch of books I want to read!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

TPS wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:57 pm
Meg wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:14 pm
You finish the grid. You look at what might be theme answers, and there is NOTHING! Absolutely NOTHING. Take a deep breathe. Relax. Trust that it will come to you. And it will. Almost always.
While I was completing the grid I looked at the theme answers - they were among the first 10 answers I solved - and yes they led to NOTHING - Absolutely NOTHING. But that’s generally what I have found with Mike’s puzzles - his hints/instructions are either obvious or piss poor - I felt the latter applied with this puzzle. I don’t think taking a Xanax and spending 10 hours would make the answer come.
I actually thought that the hints were hintier than usual.
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

No idea again. Looking for a new hobby
TPS

Post by TPS »

Joepickett wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:03 pm No idea again. Looking for a new hobby
Book club?
TPS

Post by TPS »

Laura M wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:59 pm
Mike's hints are typically so upfront I know what I am looking for before I even start solving the puzzle and they usually can only be interpreted one way - good recent examples of that are LIFE MODELS and DEDUCT - this one that's definitely not the case.
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

Ashore! But a little surprised at the approach. Interested in seeing the comments on Monday.

Rita and George
boharr

Post by boharr »

TPS wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:57 pm
Meg wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:14 pm
You finish the grid. You look at what might be theme answers, and there is NOTHING! Absolutely NOTHING. Take a deep breathe. Relax. Trust that it will come to you. And it will. Almost always.
While I was completing the grid I looked at the theme answers - they were among the first 10 answers I solved - and yes they led to NOTHING - Absolutely NOTHING. But that’s generally what I have found with Mike’s puzzles - his hints/instructions are either obvious or piss poor - I felt the latter applied with this puzzle. I don’t think taking a Xanax and spending 10 hours would make the answer come.
If you know where to look.
Abide

Post by Abide »

The planets have realigned and all’s right with the world. 🪐 ........... 🌎

Sometimes a good rant is all that’s needed. Cancel my Book-of-the-Month Club subscription.

And if you need an additional challenge, solve my Monday meta. Deadline is Saturday night. forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=648#p36994
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Finished grid. But somehow distracted. "Georgia on my Mind." Birdies? Eagles? Tigers?
Whoa! Isaac, keep pouring until Sunday evening. And send one to that gent in the green jacket. Meta can wait.
Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 10.24.22 PM.jpg
mpmanning

Post by mpmanning »

Still aboard. Plenty of rabbit holes in sight and solid navigational markers seem sparse. Is this my karma reward for skipping the Closing Credits as a matter of routine for years? I'm going to take the recommended nap as others have suggested.
Toby

Post by Toby »

This one is easy if you know where to look. Maybe that's true of most of these puzzles.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

On shore. Haven't seen anything like this in a while.
BethA

Post by BethA »

On the beach! 🏖 💤 G’night!
mpmanning

Post by mpmanning »

Skipping the nap! I'm ashore!, Before logging out, I read a few recent posts. Toby' is right, this one is easy if you know where to look! This rookie is learning.
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

I'm on shore now. A beach sounds a lot nicer than the cold rainy weather outside.

While I wouldn't say that anything in this thread is a spoiler, it helped me get the right mindset to figure it out.

I went down many rabbit holes. With one, I thought it couldn't have been an accident, but probably was. With another, I thought there was either a mistake or a step toward the solution.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

Still hanging out with Isaac talking football.

Made a lengthy tour down a rabbit hole I'd rather not revisit - make it a double tonight!
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

TPS wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:09 pm
Mike's hints are typically so upfront I know what I am looking for before I even start solving the puzzle and they usually can only be interpreted one way - good recent examples of that are LIFE MODELS and DEDUCT - this one that's definitely not the case.
LIFE MODELS is also a good recent example of a meta that I never even got close to figuring out, so you know, the upfrontness of the hint is in the mind of the interpreter. Or something :-)
Richard

Post by Richard »

For me the easiest grid in a while however I am getting no where with the meta.
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

On shore!
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Eric Porter wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:01 am While I wouldn't say that anything in this thread is a spoiler, it helped me get the right mindset to figure it out.
A sensible caution on Comments. While none are spoilers, some (including this post of mine) seem to herd as they are repeated in different forms and voices. The effect is a solid nudge.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!