"Closing Credits" - November 13, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

DanA wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:24 pmOn the shore!
Nothing about your post but WOW does your avatar trigger a synapse for me....

When I was a kid we had a set of hanna barbera fridge magnets...I can barely remember who all was included but one was Wally Gator, who I never saw any evidence of animated existence outside of that magnet and who I totally forgot about for several decades until just now.....
damefox

Post by damefox »

Ashore! Easier than the last couple, but not a gimme.
sanmilton

Post by sanmilton »

Thank you, Mike! I feel slightly redeemed after last week's stumper (for me). Later than usual Thursday solve, I guess, because I was cooking this afternoon and eating until about an hour ago. Glad to be back among the beachcombers!
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Safely ashore! Struggled with a red herring for quite a while, then just followed what the grid gave me. Feeling like a Michters!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Oh forgot to mention, I think 10D was a callout to Abide! Or else a nice coincidence. I got that one much easier than I would have before this week :-)
TPS

Post by TPS »

Didn’t solve it while I did the grid - got the feeling this could be one I’d look at all weekend and never get so happy to be stopping now.

I am starting to read Sapiens - A Brief History of Humankind so that will be most of my weekend.

Congrats to everyone who solves - I’ll look forward to learning the solution - hopefully it is better than last week’s.
LizD

Post by LizD »

I did it!!!! Hooray, me! 😁
I don't have an inner child... I have an inner old lady. :geek:

Meta solver by night, proud independent bookstore owner by day!
Meg

Post by Meg »

Inca wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:34 pm just did the grid and am left with a strong feeling that I will not be getting this one
You finish the grid. You look at what might be theme answers, and there is NOTHING! Absolutely NOTHING. Take a deep breathe. Relax. Trust that it will come to you. And it will. Almost always.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Ashore after missing the cruise entirely last week. Didn't even do the puzzle for the first time in over 2 years. I have a complaint about this one that I think a lot of people will share. I'm going to go read the comments to see if it's been mentioned.
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

I ran down a few rabbit holes, but found the right path. On shore!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

TPS wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:03 pm Didn’t solve it while I did the grid - got the feeling this could be one I’d look at all weekend and never get so happy to be stopping now.

I am starting to read Sapiens - A Brief History of Humankind so that will be most of my weekend.

Congrats to everyone who solves - I’ll look forward to learning the solution - hopefully it is better than last week’s.
My wife got the cartoon version of the book for the grandkids for Christmas. It looks really good.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
TPS

Post by TPS »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:48 pm

My wife got the cartoon version of the book for the grandkids for Christmas. It looks really good.
I’m about 40 pages in so far and it’s pretty interesting - it came highly recommended - so hopefully it will be!
TPS

Post by TPS »

Meg wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:14 pm
You finish the grid. You look at what might be theme answers, and there is NOTHING! Absolutely NOTHING. Take a deep breathe. Relax. Trust that it will come to you. And it will. Almost always.
While I was completing the grid I looked at the theme answers - they were among the first 10 answers I solved - and yes they led to NOTHING - Absolutely NOTHING. But that’s generally what I have found with Mike’s puzzles - his hints/instructions are either obvious or piss poor - I felt the latter applied with this puzzle. I don’t think taking a Xanax and spending 10 hours would make the answer come.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BrianMac wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:28 pm Ashore after missing the cruise entirely last week. Didn't even do the puzzle for the first time in over 2 years. I have a complaint about this one that I think a lot of people will share. I'm going to go read the comments to see if it's been mentioned.
Best left for Monday, but it is definitely shared. I've got mine detailed & ready to post at midnight.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
DaveKennison

Post by DaveKennison »

Ashore after what seems to have become the requisite shipboard nap. Easy puzzle, pleasant meta. Perhaps I’ll continue that nap after an ice-cold libation ... 😜.

Hmmm. Can’t find the cabana boy. It’s so hard to get good help these days ... 😳.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Late start, but done and done.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Larrry

Post by Larrry »

After missing 3 of 4, glad to be back on the beach.
boharr

Post by boharr »

On shore. But I was so stupid I needed help, and now they won't serve me at the tiki bar.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Easy? #%*$@!! This puzzle is mocking me, including 10-D. I see some very obvious paths, but can’t get a three word phrase. Maybe I’ll go join a book club with TPS. ☹️
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
edot

Post by edot »

If it makes anyone feel better, I predict a crowded shore this week. Try not to overthink it! :)