"Fresh Start" - November 6, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Rate the difficulty of the meta
Locked
User avatar
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director
Posts: 2176
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:38 pm
Location: any golf course that will take my money

Re: "Fresh Start" November 6, 2020

#361

Post by Bob cruise director » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:07 am

DrTom wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:25 am
Fun Muggle Zoom this evening and quite informative. We learned that we have at least two National TV stars who have appeared on Game Shows. One, "Bird Lives" was a Jeopardy contestant but so far back that a big day's win was $500 (which was probably only slightly more than needed to pay the stagecoach that dropped him off) and another, "Abide", was a Who Wants to Be a Millionaire contestant along with his daughter(if you are curious it was the Thanksgiving show from 2000) and they got to play because they knew their Alien TV shows! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKPXxqN ... I&index=61

Don't miss these folks they are a lot of fun and who knows what kind of TV talent you'll see!
Great show and great family - thanks for sharing

Peter - if you had watched more James Bond movies, you would have known that M was a lepidopterist. (that was one of few that I would have known)
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director

SewYoung
Posts: 366
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:25 pm
Location: Meridian, MS

#362

Post by SewYoung » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:27 am

I completely agree with Bob. Really enjoyed watching that.
"Peter - if you had watched more James Bond movies, you would have known that M was a lepidopterist. (that was one of few that I would have known)"
I knew that one from a very old Jerry Lewis movie (Yeah, yeah, I know... all Jerry Lewis movies are old) with a young Jerry Lewis. That's the only reason that I knew that word.

User avatar
Abide
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:16 pm
Location: Biloxi

#363

Post by Abide » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:08 pm

Fun fact: My lepidopterist lifeline was a doctor in Pennsylvania who I had "met" through the old NYT Crosswords forum, a great group much like this one. Who says crosswords don't pay?

User avatar
DrTom
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:46 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

#364

Post by DrTom » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:07 pm

Wow, Peter I cannot believe they asked you a question YOU could not answer but that I could have. Just shows you how stores of relatively useless knowledge gets stored over the years. So was one of the choices for the word, "someone who takes in stray panthers?"

User avatar
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director
Posts: 2176
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:38 pm
Location: any golf course that will take my money

#365

Post by Bob cruise director » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:20 pm

Abide wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:08 pm
Fun fact: My lepidopterist lifeline was a doctor in Pennsylvania who I had "met" through the old NYT Crosswords forum, a great group much like this one. Who says crosswords don't pay?
Not to pry but what are your beautiful girls doing 20 years later?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director

User avatar
Abide
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:16 pm
Location: Biloxi

#366

Post by Abide » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:17 pm

They are all doing well and off the payroll. I will send you a PM.

User avatar
BarbaraK
Posts: 1018
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:37 pm
Location: Virginia

#367

Post by BarbaraK » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:40 pm

DrTom wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:25 am
Fun Muggle Zoom this evening and quite informative. We learned that we have at least two National TV stars who have appeared on Game Shows. One, "Bird Lives" was a Jeopardy contestant but so far back that a big day's win was $500 (which was probably only slightly more than needed to pay the stagecoach that dropped him off) and another, "Abide", was a Who Wants to Be a Millionaire contestant along with his daughter(if you are curious it was the Thanksgiving show from 2000) and they got to play because they knew their Alien TV shows! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKPXxqN ... I&index=61

Don't miss these folks they are a lot of fun and who knows what kind of TV talent you'll see!
This was so cool! How exciting that I know a TV star! (OK, maybe that should be I "know" a TV "star" :)

Wish we could see Bird on Jeopardy too.

User avatar
Abide
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:16 pm
Location: Biloxi

#368

Post by Abide » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:22 pm

BarbaraK wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:40 pm


Wish we could see Bird on Jeopardy too.
[/quote]

Ask and ye shall receive:

https://montclairsoci.blogspot.com/2020 ... s-but.html

http://montclairsoci.blogspot.com/2020/ ... n-and.html

User avatar
C=64
Posts: 260
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:29 pm
Location: PDX, via NH/VT

#369

Post by C=64 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:17 pm

C=64 approves!
Attachments
20200604_203605.jpg

User avatar
DrTom
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:46 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

#370

Post by DrTom » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:53 am

C=64 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:17 pm
C=64 approves!
So, I'm assuming this is you C=64 as opposed to some random Jeopardy player? Gosh but we have a lot of game show contestants in our midst. I'm inspired, I might have to take the online test just to see if I can join the club!

Congrats to all who have scaled that hill because I'd bet it is no easy task.

User avatar
Bird Lives
Posts: 525
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:43 pm
Location: NYC
Contact:

#371

Post by Bird Lives » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:31 am

DrTom wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:25 am
Fun Muggle Zoom this evening and quite informative. We learned that we have at least two National TV stars who have appeared on Game Shows. One, "Bird Lives" was a Jeopardy contestant but so far back that a big day's win was $500 (which was probably only slightly more than needed to pay the stagecoach that dropped him off) and another, "Abide", was a Who Wants to Be a Millionaire contestant along with his daughter(if you are curious it was the Thanksgiving show from 2000) and they got to play because they knew their Alien TV shows! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKPXxqN ... I&index=61

Don't miss these folks they are a lot of fun and who knows what kind of TV talent you'll see!
Hey, my winnings on Jeopardy were considerably more than $500 if you include the 20 volumes of the worst encyclopedia in the world that it took me months to unload on some unsuspecting grade school. Even so, it was a mere fraction of what Peter walked away with. But then, I didn't have the assistance of a smart, cute daughter with lots of stage presence.

User avatar
DrTom
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:46 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

#372

Post by DrTom » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:07 am

Bird Lives wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:31 am
DrTom wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:25 am
Fun Muggle Zoom this evening and quite informative. We learned that we have at least two National TV stars who have appeared on Game Shows. One, "Bird Lives" was a Jeopardy contestant but so far back that a big day's win was $500 (which was probably only slightly more than needed to pay the stagecoach that dropped him off) and another, "Abide", was a Who Wants to Be a Millionaire contestant along with his daughter(if you are curious it was the Thanksgiving show from 2000) and they got to play because they knew their Alien TV shows! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKPXxqN ... I&index=61

Don't miss these folks they are a lot of fun and who knows what kind of TV talent you'll see!
Hey, my winnings on Jeopardy were considerably more than $500 if you include the 20 volumes of the worst encyclopedia in the world that it took me months to unload on some unsuspecting grade school. Even so, it was a mere fraction of what Peter walked away with. But then, I didn't have the assistance of a smart, cute daughter with lots of stage presence.
Oh, the $500 was an estimate of what a good day might have been back then considering what they are now. I mean the fuzzy picture we were able to see had you at the handsome sum of $40? You may not have matched Peter but your Jeopardy winnings are still many hundreds of percent greater than mine (since i have not been on that revered program).

I did have a suit like that though (and hair and a beard) once, I believe I had mine made into an area rug (the suit, not the hair or beard), or at least the lapels.

Locked