"Fresh Start" - November 6, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
spotter

Post by spotter »

I'm on shore. This was a toughie, but a satisfying solve!
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Dplass wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:03 pm
Kaille wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:45 pm Dagnabit. I haven't solved in what feels like weeks. I was hopeful for a FRESH START yesterday, but then I saw the numbers in parentheses and knew I was doomed. I used to be pretty good at this but alas, I think I've been weeded out and am hopeless anymore unless we are talking week 1 or 2 caliber MGWCC metas.
Same here.
Me three.
Georgeall

Post by Georgeall »

SusieG wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:50 pm
Kaille wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:45 pm Dagnabit. I haven't solved in what feels like weeks. I was hopeful for a FRESH START yesterday, but then I saw the numbers in parentheses and knew I was doomed. I used to be pretty good at this but alas, I think I've been weeded out and am hopeless anymore unless we are talking week 1 or 2 caliber MGWCC metas.
Same here.
Me three.
Make it four.
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

Georgeall wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:51 pm

Same here.
Me three.
Make it four.
Nope. Make it five. It seemed over the summer that I was cruising through these and thus joined the Muggle ranks. But in the past couple months, I've been batting like a 150.
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are definitely on shore.........the final oomph to the sand was a struggle, but we go there! Toes up and enjoying the sunshine!

Luck to all.............
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

hunkra wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:05 pm [q It seemed over the summer that I was cruising through these and thus joined the Muggle ranks. But in the past couple months, I've been batting like a 150.
Noooo! Please don't think that way! There is absolutely no minimum batting average (or GPA, or net income, or "good" cholesterol level) that you need to have in order to call yourself a Muggle. You are being way too hard on yourself -- we have had some really tough puzzles recently.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
wildjed

Post by wildjed »

Still out at sea... Gaffney you fox, you!
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

Finished the grid this morning, but I’m still keeping Isaac company at the bar for the time being. We’re passing the time discussing the lines for The Masters next week and polishing off his remaining inventory of miscellaneous Oktoberfests from our Ball Infinitely Recyclable Aluminum Cups. It’s a good thing we have plenty of beer because these pretzels are making me thirsty.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Myself and 3 others from work, two of whom often get MGWCC week 3 and 4, spent an hour brainstorming, to no avail. Moar beer Isaac pleez.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

I have struggled ashore and am enjoying a bunch of Al's Guinness
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
LizD

Post by LizD »

Thanks to a nudge (3rd week in a row - sheesh :roll: ), I'm on shore!

Swallowing my pride to ask for a nudge is hard, but my hope is that it is helping me improve my meta-solving skills, rather than just reading the answer on Monday.
I don't have an inner child... I have an inner old lady. :geek:

Meta solver by night, proud independent bookstore owner by day!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

For those that are getting depressed at this contest and the last several some words to help

1) This one in particular is challenging so keep struggling. At this point, there are less than 40 muggles on the shore
2) In the last couple of months, we have had more than our share of challenging contests as determined by the number of submissions to the WSJ and the percentage correct - Two weeks ago was Just A Step More with 40% correct, then there was Drawbacks what only 788 submissions and the list goes on. Every few weeks there is a real challenging one. Do not get discourage.
3) remember that it is only Friday. Keep peeling the onion

Last thing, and I will probably mention it again - for all our veterans, the wives of veterans and the families of veterans, we thank you all for your service and sacrifice.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
PJM

Post by PJM »

It'll be a warm weekend but a little chilly right now on the shore.

Hot apple cider, spiced and spiked please!
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

hunkra wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:05 pm But in the past couple months, I've been batting like a 150.
You could've batted cleanup for the Red Sox in 2020.
And, Isaac, if the bar's TV even goes near the Magic Wall broadcast tonight, I'm never coming here again.
Last edited by Commodore on Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sruss43484

Post by Sruss43484 »

If anyone can shoot me a nudge, I’d appreciate it. In a dead zone, again.
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

hunkra wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:05 pm
Georgeall wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:51 pm

Me three.
Make it four.
Nope. Make it five. It seemed over the summer that I was cruising through these and thus joined the Muggle ranks. But in the past couple months, I've been batting like a 150.
Me six.
I feel like I’ve lost my mojo completely. But I’m going to keep trying before asking for help. Besides, SIL and I are working together. Maybe we’ll come up with something.
pamster

Post by pamster »

On shore. I loved this one. I was positive I found an error but it turned out the error was mine ...
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:21 pm
Noooo! Please don't think that way! There is absolutely no minimum batting average (or GPA, or net income, or "good" cholesterol level) that you need to have in order to call yourself a Muggle.
No, but given all of the the celebratory, and consoling, ethanol I'm guessing there is a certain level of liver enzymes that are a pre-requisite. Still not to worry, they will likely go up as you continue to participate!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Colin

Post by Colin »

Muggles united,
Isaac’s craft beers are flighted,
Ship truly righted!

But no meta tears,
After drinking four nice beers,
Long week waiting - cheers!
One world. One planet. One future.
meowmiao71

Post by meowmiao71 »

On shore. The grid gave me some trouble, but for me it was a pretty quick solve!