"I See Right Through You" - October 30, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

On shore after quite a paddle!

Happy to toast to the new grandbaby @hbirker! Congratulations!
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

Nlobb wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:24 pm I am currently LAS. We are visiting grandkids in Tennessee but driving home tomorrow to deal with the mess left by hurricane Zeta. A hole in the roof, the chimney blown down, and no power! It will be a weird, scary Halloween for sure. Maybe there will be time to work on the meta in between cleaning up debris and throwing out spoiled food???
Sorry to hear about Zeta's damages! Hoping that you can put things back to right speedily!
mflaminio

Post by mflaminio »

Got it! Have to say it wasn’t as easy until you see it. Then so fun! Loved it. Happy Halloween!
PJM

Post by PJM »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:10 am
Cindy N wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:55 am On shore at last. Kept getting distracted by something silly, then realized exactly what was needed.

Looking out at my bird feeders this morning and surprisingly didn't see any birds at all. I thought maybe one of the neighborhood cats was around. That is, until this guy swooped in.
It looks like a juvenile Coopers hawk based on size, streaking of the breast and the fact that it was going after your birds. The only other option was a sharp shinned hawk but it looks too big.

nice picture
Yes, great picture.

I don't really know my birds but one molted a tailfeather identical to those on that bird and left it in my backyard.

The neighbor's daughter, a full-time bird rescue professional, said it was from a Coopers hawk.
sanmilton

Post by sanmilton »

Happy Halloween, everyone. I believe I'm ashore, but I hope I've sailed far enough this week!
EdStrong

Post by EdStrong »

I see the shore through the surf after a two week stay with Isaac.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

[quote=Streroto post_id=36273 time=1604175386 user_id=373]
Ashore. Wow did I make that harder than it was. Saw what I needed to early yesterday and ignored my intuition. Pursued way too many wascally wabbits. Bad idea. Anyway, a fun one Mike, back to week 5 for some Halloween pain!

DITTO HERE: I’m ashore and did exactly what you said. I was looking in the right place, had the list, just was doing the wrong second step. I’ll tell you all about my intriguing wabbit trail Monday!
The other Wendy. :roll:
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

This Halloween being different, we took orders for the neighbor kids and had bags ready with their individually requested candies.
We didn’t take requests for the parents. But, even parents like “fun sized”. 😄
8BAC4E40-F9D2-459D-9971-22185522A115.jpeg
Konnie
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

On shore with great nudge.
So no mug but stress-free Sunday.
Good tradeoff this week.
Thinking these metas and this group would be fertile ground for some type of cognitive or sociological study.
Good luck everyone!
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:31 pm
EVJ wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:16 pm
wb93 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:05 pm Hi all. First post. Thank you for creating this forum. Been diligently trying to learn the craft of meta solving, but don’t yet have much to show for my efforts other than a pair of Knee Breeches a few weeks back.

And I am definitely out to sea on this one. May I have a nudge?

Also, can someone explain to me the answer for 64A?

Thank you

wb
Welcome! I don’t understand 64A either🤷‍♀️
think nobility
Why, thank you, kind sir!
Hector

Post by Hector »

Our little block in SF just now did a physically distanced Hallowe'en "parade," which was really just a (sad to say, rare, but maybe that will change now) occasion for a bunch of neighbors, including dogs, to get together to socialize, this time in various degrees of costumery. I didn't realize adults were dressing up, but for reasons of irrationality I happen to have a Swiss alpinist hat and a rope, so I scrambled to look not wholly unlike this.
Untitled.jpg
And my wife similarly improvised. As our block regained young families Hallowe'en had been getting more lively for a few years, so we feared that this would be a down year. Not so!

Note to self: lederhosen.
ADS

Post by ADS »

On shore. Nice to not have it hanging over me the whole day on Sunday like last week.
PJM

Post by PJM »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:31 pm
EVJ wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:16 pm
wb93 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:05 pm Hi all. First post. Thank you for creating this forum. Been diligently trying to learn the craft of meta solving, but don’t yet have much to show for my efforts other than a pair of Knee Breeches a few weeks back.

And I am definitely out to sea on this one. May I have a nudge?

Also, can someone explain to me the answer for 64A?

Thank you

wb
Welcome! I don’t understand 64A either🤷‍♀️
think nobility
Agree that's what he meant, although technically it's a mistake.

A count is a European equivalent to an earl.

A peer is a member of the British nobility and is one of: duke, marquess, earl, viscount, and baron.

So a count is not a peer.
NDStegs

Post by NDStegs »

Still on the ship. :(
burak

Post by burak »

I liked it. It might be challenging for newbies but that should only increase the pleasure they get from solving it.
wb93

Post by wb93 »

Thank you for the nudges. I made it to shore!

You all are meta PEERS.

Will partake in a celebratory quaff in a bit.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

I highly recommend Patrick Berry's WSJ variety puzzle, "Fright Club." My first reaction after reading the instructions was utter disbelief: "How can anyone possibly do this?!" But it slowly came together. Nice a-ha! moments.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

mgwcc wiped me out and I don't see anything with this one. Could someone give a gentle nudge?

Edit: with a gentle nudge, I am there!

Usuaslly get 100+ kids on Hallowe'en. Last night - zero.
Last edited by Orsys on Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Agree that's what he meant, although technically it's a mistake.

A count is a European equivalent to an earl.

A peer is a member of the British nobility and is one of: duke, marquess, earl, viscount, and baron.

So a count is not a peer.
A count may not be a peer of the British Peerage which includes only the titles you listed. However, according to Merriam-Webster, a 'peer', (noun sense 2b), is also a 'noble' (noun sense 1), which is defined as 'a person of noble rank or birth'.
By your own description a count could therefore indeed be defined as a peer.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/peer
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/noble
Colin

Post by Colin »

Blue Moon and hour back,
No spooky apparitions,
Whisky sour, Isaac.
One world. One planet. One future.