"I See Right Through You" - October 30, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

There is an added elegance to this puzzle which is brilliant. Nice work Mike!
Heidi
LizD

Post by LizD »

Well, this is embarrassing. I seem to be the only one so far who is willing to admit that I am not seeing the solution! Maybe my confidence is shot after last week. Hoping a drink and a sleep will bring ideas... :?
I don't have an inner child... I have an inner old lady. :geek:

Meta solver by night, proud independent bookstore owner by day!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Tonight was going to be catch-as-catch-can dinner. I was about to make a ham sandwich when my wife said, "Let's have grilled ham and cheese." I handed her a (beer) mug.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

LizD wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:37 pm Well, this is embarrassing. I seem to be the only one so far who is willing to admit that I am not seeing the solution! Maybe my confidence is shot after last week. Hoping a drink and a sleep will bring ideas... :?
I am right there with you Liz. Just not seeing anything yet. A drink and sleep sounds like a good plan.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

SewYoung wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:07 pm
LizD wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:37 pm Well, this is embarrassing. I seem to be the only one so far who is willing to admit that I am not seeing the solution! Maybe my confidence is shot after last week. Hoping a drink and a sleep will bring ideas... :?
I am right there with you Liz. Just not seeing anything yet. A drink and sleep sounds like a good plan.
I don’t think it’s as easy as some people are saying. Keep at it!
Heidi
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

Grid done, I'm meandering around but not seeing a 100% solution. Maybe my morning coffee will do the trick! 👻
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

You can do it! It’s not as easy as some think.
Heidi
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

On shore. Nicely done Mike!
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

On shore at page 4! A new record for us!

Love the puzzles when we get them, and hate them when we don't!!

Still, very clever construction, and we now have our weekend back! (Last week was maddening!)

Rita and George
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Got it.
Fun grid and meta.
Thanks Mike, as always.
This week I came prepared with my Halloween costume, knowing we’d be partying either by land or by sea...
04EC83A2-72C8-4181-9E08-35884579B230.jpeg
Pretty scary, huh?
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

SewYoung wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:07 pm
May I join you ladies at the bar? :P
I'm still on the ship and not seeing it either.

In celebration of Halloween, and to sum up sometimes "getting it" and sometimes not --- I offer you all ---
Chocolate!
Because sometimes you feel like a nut, and sometimes you don't.
Capturemounds.JPG
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

I refuse to give up on these, so I finally solved last weeks puzzle today after some day 7 enlightenment. I also solved today's puzzle today - which was a lot easier and won't ruin my next seven days as a result.
DaveKennison

Post by DaveKennison »

Ashore! My record on the contest puzzles has been pretty spotty recently, so it’s very nice to be wading out of the surf and looking forward to a relaxing weekend, free of metanxiety.
TPS

Post by TPS »

hcbirker wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:11 pm
You can do it! It’s not as easy as some think.
Difficulty is relative to your experience - the more you do of these the more you see methods and ways constructors clue. 6 months ago I never would have solved this one - today I solved it without really trying - I was filling in a grid answer and was like that definitely something and then I looked at another answer and was like I bet that works there also and bang. So don’t fret if you don’t see it right away - I didn’t solve the one 3 weeks ago everyone thought was so easy.
lacangah

Post by lacangah »

Ashore - my wife did all the rowing :-). Nonetheless, it’s nice to have some ‘meta moj-entum’ after some rough seas the past few weeks.

Good health, good solving to you all!
Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Ashore. Feels good to have my feet in the sand after being so lost at sea last week
pamster

Post by pamster »

Sped to shore. Happy Halloween!
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

Ashore. Been so busy, I forgot the puzzle until tonight! Relieved that it was up my alley, and I can head into the weekend untroubled. And my wife brought home Reeese’s Peanut Butter Pumpkins “for the kids.” Livin’ the dream, baby!
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

On Shore! A very Shenk-like meta. Happy Halloween!
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

On shore.