"Just A Step More" - October 23, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
cherikee

Post by cherikee »

Solved the grid fairly easily and am on the ship. Pleasantly surprised to not see a bunch of "the shore will be crowded!" posts at this point on a Friday. Just means I don't need to feel bad as I struggle with this for the next few days...
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Completely LAS.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Still looking for Step 1
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

I set this on aside for a few minutes to focus on MGWCC, but may be coming back soon as I am not seeing anything there, either.

Gotta start early if you are going to drink all day.
Jace54

Post by Jace54 »

Time to concede this one and look forward to Big Ten football starting this weekend! Appears from the comments that it will not be one that I will feel should have been solved after seeing the answer Sunday night.
JaneGummy

Post by JaneGummy »

been going around and around with the numbers in parenthesis. still not finding anything. sigh.
TPS

Post by TPS »

After last week's WSJCC I decided to give up on doing meta puzzles altogether.

But this week doing the grid for this puzzle the first step of the meta jumped off the page at me. The next step - not at all and since I am not doing them anymore I am fine with that.

But - if anyone decides they would like the first step I am happy to give it to them.
John77

Post by John77 »

Been swimming after too many red herrings today. Will try again tomorrow, perhaps pickled.
Wir sind zu früh alt und zu spät schlau.
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

At the bar for now.
Chasing rabbits is hard work.
Refreshment needed.
sanmilton

Post by sanmilton »

A slow but ultimately satisfying solve. I looked at it intently following work yesterday and after completing the grid. This morning brought a new insight but not the answer. This afternoon I found it and paddled to shore. Shortly I will be constructing a dry Martini with which to celebrate. On with the weekend! And thanks again, Matt Gaffney, for the challenge!
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

TPS wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:05 pm After last week's WSJCC I decided to give up on doing meta puzzles altogether.

But this week doing the grid for this puzzle the first step of the meta jumped off the page at me. The next step - not at all and since I am not doing them anymore I am fine with that.

But - if anyone decides they would like the first step I am happy to give it to them.
Metas are a hard habit to break. I predict - and I hope - you’ll keep at it.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:17 pm Ah, the simple pleasures ... toes in sand, cocktail in hand ...

Thoroughly enjoyed this one.
Ruh roh. Just learned that I answered too soon. I may have been on shore -- but now I'm being dragged back to the boat.

Great puzzle, though.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

JaneGummy wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:00 pm been going around and around with the numbers in parenthesis. still not finding anything. sigh.
Either way, ship or shore, welcome to the gang.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

cherikee wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:42 pm Solved the grid fairly easily and am on the ship. Pleasantly surprised to not see a bunch of "the shore will be crowded!" posts at this point on a Friday. Just means I don't need to feel bad as I struggle with this for the next few days...
Don't worry about the shore being crowded. We still don't have 20 on the shore. The crowded ship is another issue. We are flying in extra booze and ice as it looks like we will need it.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

MaineMarge wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:07 pm I’ve completed step one of this meta: claimed my weekend seat with Isaac early before the bar overflows to the Lido deck.
In real life I’ll be planting spring bulbs near these garden steps hoping for inspiration. Also hoping there aren’t this many steps to the meta.
1DF1DE83-95AD-4806-96DE-15F0FB0032E6.jpeg
Let me know if you want any chipmunks to nosh on those bulbs all winter. We have extras = a lot of them
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:34 pm
MaineMarge wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:07 pm I’ve completed step one of this meta: claimed my weekend seat with Isaac early before the bar overflows to the Lido deck.
In real life I’ll be planting spring bulbs near these garden steps hoping for inspiration. Also hoping there aren’t this many steps to the meta.
1DF1DE83-95AD-4806-96DE-15F0FB0032E6.jpeg
Let me know if you want any chipmunks to nosh on those bulbs all winter. We have extras = a lot of them
Marauding chipmunks, armies of raccoons taking over the White House... COVID has given critters an opportunity to take back their land!
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

🏝
boharr

Post by boharr »

On shore. A tough one for me. No submission, but I hope no one will mind if I show up at the Tiki bar for a drink...or two.
Meg

Post by Meg »

boharr wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:04 pm On shore. A tough one for me. No submission, but I hope no one will mind if I show up at the Tiki bar for a drink...or two.
All are welcome. The ukulele player takes requests.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Homer Buckle

Post by Homer Buckle »

Definitely headed to talk to Isaac for a Friday night cocktail. No way to shore for me yet!