"Summer Wear" - October 16, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
KayW

Post by KayW »

No KNEE BREECHES among these cool threads. But was there really that much plaid in the 60s?
DressForThe60s.jpg
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

KayW wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:46 pm No KNEE BREECHES among these cool threads. But was there really that much plaid in the 60s?

DressForThe60s.jpg
What exactly is going on here? Specifically, WHY is there a Playboy bunny on the opposite side of the fuselage?!
I might miss tonight's Zoom meeting. Unfortunately, I have two other virtual meetings at the same time.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

Who knew you could build an extremely clever puzzle around knee breeches? We had 1367 entries, with about 80% correct, slightly above average. Lots of guesses all over the rack: SHORTS (16), T DRESS (10), CHAPS (7), DUNGAREES (5), BIKINI (4) and many many others

Congrats to this week's winner: Coreen Steinbach of Pompey, NY!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Wendy Walker wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:33 pm
KayW wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:46 pm No KNEE BREECHES among these cool threads. But was there really that much plaid in the 60s?

DressForThe60s.jpg
What exactly is going on here? Specifically, WHY is there a Playboy bunny on the opposite side of the fuselage?!
I might miss tonight's Zoom meeting. Unfortunately, I have two other virtual meetings at the same time.
Because it was you in a previous life
Attachments
DressForThe60s 2.jpg
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
ricky

Post by ricky »

I saw the plus signs, looked around the plus signs, even looked repeatedly at the four-square blocks between the plus signs. I tried the first letter of every entry divisible by four and got hung up on HANES like others mentioned. I would just never, ever have thought of KNEE BREECHES as a potential answer. Could we at least have had "article of clothing from two hundred years ago" in the hint?
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
BethA

Post by BethA »

I don’t have much to say about this one, but one thing I do really like is when the meta answer isn’t guessable!
Homer Buckle

Post by Homer Buckle »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:44 pm Who knew you could build an extremely clever puzzle around knee breeches? We had 1367 entries, with about 80% correct, slightly above average. Lots of guesses all over the rack: SHORTS (16), T DRESS (10), CHAPS (7), DUNGAREES (5), BIKINI (4) and many many others

Congrats to this week's winner: Coreen Steinbach of Pompey, NY!
If you take the last letters of the long across answers, you can anagram them into T DRESS.
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

DressForThe60s.jpg

Yes, there was...and well into the early 80's in certain parts of the country. I attended a business luncheon in the late 80's where Jimmy Valvano was the guest speaker. Among many of his humorous comments was the following about his acceptance of the NC State head coaching job. "The first thing you notice when you get to North Carolina, is that you can never have enough plaid pants!"

Apologies to my NC Muggle friends!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Bob cruise director wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:49 pm

Bob, that is just too hilarious! I will be grinning inappropriately all through tonight's VERY SERIOUS meeting about the roundabouts that are being proposed on a busy highway nearby. I'm sure the discussion will go in circles anyway.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Wendy Walker wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:37 pm

Bob, that is just too hilarious! I will be grinning inappropriately all through tonight's VERY SERIOUS meeting about the roundabouts that are being proposed on a busy highway nearby. I'm sure the discussion will go in circles anyway.
High drama in rural PA
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Wendy Walker wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:37 pm

Will it fly high like a bird up in the sky? Fly high?

The 2nd time in a few days that that song popped into my head & was appropriate.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Where is everybody? Only a few on Our Pal Sal's Zoom....
steveb

Post by steveb »

tim1217 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:15 pm

DressForThe60s.jpg

Yes, there was...and well into the early 80's in certain parts of the country. I attended a business luncheon in the late 80's where Jimmy Valvano was the guest speaker. Among many of his humorous comments was the following about his acceptance of the NC State head coaching job. "The first thing you notice when you get to North Carolina, is that you can never have enough plaid pants!"

Apologies to my NC Muggle friends!
Jim Valvano parlayed his national championship at NC State into a motivational speaker gig for at least some of the years before his untimely death. I heard him speak in 1984 at the national sales meeting for a tech company I worked for then. He started his talk with the line, "God must have loved the average man ... he made so many of us!" That wasn't exactly what I wanted to hear, since I prefer to think of myself as (ahem) not average. Within the year, I was working elsewhere. (Not directly because of Valvano. His talk was actually pretty entertaining.)
John77

Post by John77 »

cherikee wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:59 am I wrote down KNEE BREE CHES and didn't see the answer. I'd like to blame my age, but I doubt that any of us were alive when knee breeches were a thing. I tried to scramble up those letters a million different ways before finally coming here for a nudge, only to learn that I already had the answer... tough way to DNF, but there's always next week!
Not that long ago (1999), Payne Stewart won the US Open Golf Championship. Mr Stewart was known for competing in knee breeches.Image
Attachments
Payne Stewart.png
Wir sind zu früh alt und zu spät schlau.
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

I, too, had KNEE BREE CHES on my sheet as I worked the puzzle. But when I get hung up, I'll email what I have to a friend and explain what I have and what I've found and why I did what I did. Doing that has helped me solve several times. As I look back and forth between the email and my work on the puzzle it changes from I did this, looking for that and didn't find...oh, wait...there's this. If this, then...oh, wait...and by the time I finish the email, I've solved the puzzle.

Sometimes, it's just a matter of having a new window open over the work and covering part of the words to get me solving. I think it's a more advanced version of post/solve enlightenment.

And if it doesn't, at least I've listed out everything I've done. It can make for a very impressive list of rabbit holes!