"Summer Wear" - October 16, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Prozach

Post by Prozach »

I am glad to have made it on shore before the weekend. I am starting to teach my new class today, and am about to become very busy. But, maybe I will share one of these with my students...see how they respond.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Franklin.Bluth wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:24 pm Lurked for a few weeks, first time posting. First solve!

Welcome, Franklin! Thanks for joining us!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

dk letter wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:58 pm Hooray! A (late) Thursday solve! On the beach and ready for bed!
Love your avatar!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

While we are still very early in the contest, I ask us all not to give away answers to the grid even if you think the answer is very obvious. There are a couple of direct mentions of at least two of the answers.

And welcome to our two newest muggles - Flananigans and Franklin.Bluth
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

I was thinking way too hard last night...I took my notes, made a sail of them this morning and cruised onto the shore...

(And there was some interesting coincidental stuff in those notes...perhaps I'll share on Monday.)
Joe

Post by Joe »

Jeeeeez, that took a minute. Hopelessly trapped in a line of thinking I couldn't let go of. Then I did. Then, poof! Happily on shore and too early for a cocktail.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Prozach wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:05 am I am glad to have made it on shore before the weekend. I am starting to teach my new class today, and am about to become very busy. But, maybe I will share one of these with my students...see how they respond.
I would think that solving metas would be excellent training for future accountants. In junior high I had a blind history teacher, Mr. Kessler, who would write missing-letter puzzles on the board and would award grade-enhancing points for solving them. You'd have to go up and whisper the answer to him. If you were right he'd point to you and bellow "Five points to Miss Walker!" My very favorite, and one that I (obviously) remember to this day: W--- from the K---- to the U------.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

On shore.

63A I filled in from the grid-crossers, THEN looked up. Familiar with the garment because of a particular hero of mine, but didn’t know they had that name! (AND I’m a P.G. Wodehouse fan, and a golfer... have I not been paying attention?)

Also learned a new word: briard!

Found the meta easy - and now see other possible 52Ds to it that are fun, but I didn’t need them. Hope to discuss Tuesday night if I can remember to log on!

Olde Mecklenburg Copper pls. .. a local legend.
The other Wendy. :roll:
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:14 am My very favorite [ . . . ]: W--- from the K---- to the U------.
Up to the time I read this I was revelling in an nice early solve and a nice idle weekend. Gonna get some chores done. Finish a book. Maybe even bake some cookies. Now, I've got a mindworm, and I do not do well with many of these. Perhaps I'll be asking for a nudge.
Eguinan

Post by Eguinan »

On the beach literally and figuratively this week from Kiawah Island, SC.
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

I'm on the beach. I'll have a mass-produced American light lager a little later.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I am here to report that I have achieved a personal best in the "Number of Rabbit Holes Entered Without a Solve" category. Hello, Isaac.
Cynthia
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

Solved. Now to go make some coffee.
steveb

Post by steveb »

I'm back on shore, after a frustrating two weeks in which I should have gotten the answers, but didn't.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

otlaolap wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:43 am
Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:14 am My very favorite [ . . . ]: W--- from the K---- to the U------.
Up to the time I read this I was revelling in an nice early solve and a nice idle weekend. Gonna get some chores done. Finish a book. Maybe even bake some cookies. Now, I've got a mindworm, and I do not do well with many of these. Perhaps I'll be asking for a nudge.
It is excellent advice for solving a crossword and a meta as well as all of those pesky strategic challenges that confront us as adults.
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

On shore! Still amazes me how they come up with these every week in so many different ways.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

On shore! I loved this one. Thanks Mike!
Sara
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:29 am
otlaolap wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:43 am
It is excellent advice for solving a crossword and a meta as well as all of those pesky strategic challenges that confront us as adults.
Oh. If that's the case I think I got it. It was troubling me too. I'll PM.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Bob, you can look for me at the beach par-tay!!
Fun meta, Mike.
As for the rest of the weekend, I’ll be putting my summer wear away in anticipation of not needing it for a good looong while.
And thinking ahead to those warm days
87DC228B-2E83-4527-9CA5-3A3ACD880A63.jpeg
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Just back from a few days relaxing with friends at Beaver Lake. Grid done, but nothing popping out for me yet. Relaxation time continues at the bar with Isaac for now.