"Show Them The Way" - October 9, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

EmilyW wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:40 pm 55 Across brought back a childhood memory. I was convinced those tasted better than the other colors, and I was really sad when they got rid of it. If I remember correctly, they held a vote to determine the replacement color.
Kind of like when the replaced some of the tokens in the Monopoly game and changed $$$ to something else that we all call dollars
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

whimsy wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:30 pm Ashore.

My husband and I looked up at each other questioningly when the weather guy on the news mentioned holiday weekend forecast. And then we remembered --- the holiday whose name must not be mentioned. Between being retired and never going anywhere, we have a hard time with day of the week much less whether it"s a "holiday weekend."
But people have mentioned "easy" and "crowded shore" so perhaps it really is and that's possibly why. (?)
I fear the an officer pulling me over, asking me what day it is. My answer would be, "if it ain't Thursday, I don't *#&*$# care."

However, I *do* pay attention to "Indigenous Columbians' Day". That's when I avoid VT like the plague. Too many tourist looking at the trees trying to find the leaves that are already on the ground. And you can't get into any of the restaurants.
Rufus T. Firefly
Ronaldo

Post by Ronaldo »

It's extra satisfying getting the grid and the meta without the help of Google. After a 2 week losing streak, I'll treat myself to a Shackleton whisky, thank you.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

After my poor showing last week I panicked when I didn't get this one right away, so I came here and saw that I was likely overcomplicating it. Went back and tried a variation of the first thing I'd tried, and voila, I'm on shore! I wish that would work more often :-)
boharr

Post by boharr »

Ronaldo wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:58 pm It's extra satisfying getting the grid and the meta without the help of Google. After a 2 week losing streak, I'll treat myself to a Shackleton whisky, thank you.
That is the Endurance isn’t it?
RobM

Post by RobM »

On shore. Nice one.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Had to check the map and get oriented since it's been a few weeks, but I am on shore.

Be safe and healthy!

Cheers.
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
NDStegs

Post by NDStegs »

Happy to be on shore, since last week was a struggle for us.
ALS

Post by ALS »

My first Thursday night solve in a long while.

Ashore.

ALS
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:44 pm
whimsy wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:30 pm Ashore.

My husband and I looked up at each other questioningly when the weather guy on the news mentioned holiday weekend forecast. And then we remembered --- the holiday whose name must not be mentioned. Between being retired and never going anywhere, we have a hard time with day of the week much less whether it"s a "holiday weekend."
But people have mentioned "easy" and "crowded shore" so perhaps it really is and that's possibly why. (?)
Wednesday I will wave to you when I get off on exit 21B to head for Shining Rock
What luck! Wednesday's the day they take us out in our jumpsuits with our poke-y sticks!
Capturetrash.JPG
TPS

Post by TPS »

Ronaldo wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:58 pm It's extra satisfying getting the grid and the meta without the help of Google.
This is the first WSJCC puzzle I’ve ever been able to say that about - I’ve solved grids without Google but this is the first time I’ve been able to solve both w/o having to look something up - and even better I was able to do it in under 30 minutes!
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Duh, and thank goodness I’m not wearing that dunce cap again this week. Although I should be, as long as it took me to put it together.

I will have a cold glass of whatever white wine is the fridge.

Good luck, muggles.
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

Happily ashore and early this week! Have a wonderful weekend y'all!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Tom Shea wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:44 pm
boharr wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:16 pm On shore. Compass recalibrated in time for a Yankee come back.
Something I could enjoy. Are they playing baseball this year? I would have lost interested, except it's better than watching politics.

Count me on shore. I believe it is the right shore this week, unlike a couple of false positives in the last couple of months. Having a [corked] Savignon Blanc, rare as honest politician. Huddling under the gas heater to stay warm.

Water line is replaced in the mountain house. Adding a roof over the generator here in NH. Concrete piers poured today and lumber delivered. Still need to trim out the deck from last month and string SS wiring for railing. Hopefully can outrun the first snowfall. Don't know how I ever found the time before I retired...
Your place sounds like ours -- been keeping busy, as a "captive audience," the last several months -- multiple projects either ourselves or calling in the pros -- new windows, roof, redone front steps (husband's of Italian heritage, family worked in cement -- really! ;) ) Generator going in soon, landscaping, trees coming down by choice, or by nature in recent storms -- new trees going in, sort of a zero sum game except that we swapped in evergreens for oaks, a sly scheme to cut back somewhat on the amount of raking!
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

On the beach after a dry spell! Stay safe everyone and good luck on the puzzle!
Tina

Post by Tina »

On shore.
Tina

Post by Tina »

Janet wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:55 pm Just got home, about to start the puzzle. Must get Peter Frampton out of my head.
I'm familiar with that song, but as a Gen-Xer, what instantly began playing in my head was Styx's 1991 hit with the same title.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Tina wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:47 pm
Janet wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:55 pm Just got home, about to start the puzzle. Must get Peter Frampton out of my head.
I'm familiar with that song, but as a Gen-Xer, what instantly began playing in my head was Styx's 1991 hit with the same title.
Huh. I'm a GenXer (on the old side though), and I liked Styx, but I don't remember that one at all while the Frampton one is very familiar.

However, what actually was playing in my head while I did the puzzle was: https://youtu.be/97RSuv8hroc
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Laura M wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:05 pm After my poor showing last week I panicked when I didn't get this one right away, so I came here and saw that I was likely overcomplicating it. Went back and tried a variation of the first thing I'd tried, and voila, I'm on shore! I wish that would work more often :-)
Hopefully I’m right behind you! I too am not seeing the mechanism so decided to come here and see what everyone’s saying. I’m still kicking myself for not getting last week’s meta. It was all right there.....as I’m sure this one is too.
Ah well, I’ll be hanging with Isaac until further notice.
tori.l

Post by tori.l »

Ashore but suspicious, like some others, that my solution is too simple...