"Show Them The Way" - October 9, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Arrrg!
I’m calling it. Just not my week.
Konnie
boharr

Post by boharr »

Ah. Stay with it. You can get it>
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

correction - see post #55, I've been on the shore for a while now.

Thx,
Tom

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:55 am Good Saturday morning muggles

and we welcome a bunch of new muggles this week - wildjed, Dobbydown, escapeartist, Rweiss6, Cosmo, Alexleah1, Jholway, and Crest. And our half new muggle DanA whose wife BethA pulled into the clan last week but he got his own account this week.

For all our newest muggles - there is a wealth of information under Come Aboard including and opportunity to introduce yourself, and under Community/Solving Resources, there are techniques for solving, past crosswords to practice on, Joe Ross's guide for solving with Excel and several topics to give the background on some of our terms. Also there are topics both here and under the Acapulco Lounge are discussions on how to ask for nudges (hints).

We have 9 on the ship and 114 on the shore

On the ship with Isaac are
majorDomoTom
<deletia>

On the shore are
<deletia>

Good luck to everyone and stay safe - especially those in the way of the Delta Force
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Phew! Made it to shore.
Face-palm or dope-slap for me
For taking so long!

Good luck to all and stay safe out there.
Rad26

Post by Rad26 »

Did grid Thursday. Did not get meta right away. Picked it up this am and there it was. Late to the party but onshore.
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

I'm on the beach
Richard

Post by Richard »

I guess I would like a nudge,
boharr

Post by boharr »

Richard wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:59 pm I guess I would like a nudge,
Sent a PM.
EdStrong

Post by EdStrong »

Ashore
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday afternoon

Muggles, muggles and more muggles - since yesterday we have these new muggles - Dannyvee, wildjed and Tom Mueller

And we have 9 on the ship and 145 on the shore - and apologies to everyone I missed along the way

Keeping Isaac company are Janet
maprasad
Scott M
and David K

Making their way to the shore are

boharr
Nalugirl
Dannyvee
Schmeel
madhatter5
Fkelly
halseymac
K Pi
Beth A
Higgysue
C=64
spotter
Cindy N
joe
tom Mueller
eagle1279
Cap'n Rick
phofer
ann
Joedbee
joes
tmitchell300
burak
ReB
wildjed
ky-mike
Prozach
norrin2
bread-girl
MajordomoTom
Ed S
Rad26
Littlegood
and Janet P

Good luck to all and stay safe
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
tmitchell300

Post by tmitchell300 »

Joepickett wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:54 am
Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:46 am
tmitchell300 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:55 pm On shore finally. Stared at it off and on for two days, then it hit me when I was driving to dinner.
You got it while driving, WOW! Tell us more. Did you have the puzzle with you so you could check immediately or did you have to wait until after dinner/dessert/ coffee to confirm? Was anyone in the car with you? Were they familiar with the contest or did you have to explain?
DWP is illegal in some states you know...just saying.
I didn't have the puzzle with me, but during a lull in the conversation I was thinking about the answer to 75A and how to make it work. I think I'd been staring at the puzzle so much on Friday and Saturday that I almost had the whole grid memorized, so when I worked out the mechanism, I was able to come up with the answer (I did confirm on paper before submitting, just in case). My wife was with me in the car, and she usually helps out, so when I blurted out "I just solved the contest puzzle!", she knew the story. It's not the first time it's happened.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Took a nudge but I am now on shore.

Actually got too very similar nudges.
KRM

Post by KRM »

Alan H wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:33 pm I made that harder than it needed to be. Done.
Ditto.
Also, congratulations Wendy W.
KRM

Post by KRM »

Had finished the grid Thu afternoon. Could not get to solving the meta until this morning because of other commitments. And it came fairly easily. Surprised there weren't more twists. Happily on shore.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Might as well confess...I've been looking at this since Thursday afternoon, and I remain completely lost at sea. :(
PJM

Post by PJM »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:05 am Just a note. PJM found something amazing in the grid that has nothing to do with the meta but with the skill of Matt Gaffney. I told him to post it later this afternoon under the assumption that by then everyone will have completed the grid.
Thanks, Bob.

October 4 marked the passing of Matt Gaffney's father in 2006. This brilliant and beautiful puzzle is a tribute to Matt's parents and their many children. This from a little Googling (see links below).

Amount the names found in the puzzle are his mom CECI (CELi +mIso), brother Chris (X in XMAS = CHRISt), sister RACHEL (RAcing yaCHt+ELia), MATT himself (MAT+Tag or MATTy alou), and brother SEAN (lower left corner). In Latin "I" may equal "J," so IdO+sEnt might be father JOE.

I'm sure Matt will clarify all in the fullness of time and hopefully this explains 75A.

Good luck to all and BTW I am on shore with an odd but rather tasty mulled wine.

P.J.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/delaw ... fhid=25454
https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/frede ... fhid=18393
Last edited by PJM on Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

On shore.

I had the right idea but the wrong application of it as usual.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

PJM wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:36 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:05 am Just a note. PJM found something amazing in the grid that has nothing to do with the meta but with the skill of Matt Gaffney. I told him to post it later this afternoon under the assumption that by then everyone will have completed the grid.
Thanks, Bob.

October 4 marked the passing of Matt Gaffney's father in 2006. This brilliant and beautiful puzzle is a tribute to Matt's parents and their many children. This from a little Googling (see links below).

Amount the names found in the puzzle are his mom CECI (CELi +mIso), brother Chris (X in XMAS = CHRISt), sister RACHEL (RAcing yaCHt+ELia), MATT himself (MAT+Tag or MATTy alou), and brother SEAN (lower left corner). In Latin "I" may equal "J," so IdO+sEnt might be father JOE.

I'm sure Matt will clarify all in the fullness of time and hopefully this explains 75A.

Good luck to all and BTW I am on shore with an odd but rather tasty mulled wine.

P.J.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/delaw ... fhid=25454
https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/frede ... fhid=18393
Nice tribute by Matt to his Dad.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

I'm late to the shore, but here I am. Pretty obvious when you see it, but it sure took me a while.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
STL-D

Post by STL-D »

Ashore. With a little help from a friend. Gaffney has found a new weapon.... simplicity.