"Show Them The Way" - October 9, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
wildjed

Post by wildjed »

Made it off the boat with a small nudge from Wendy!
Think I'll keep my feet off the sand for now though and enjoy the party from the boat... Will try to make my first solo trip next week!
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

I’m ashore but only because of several nudges. Can’t believe how lost I was and how easy it is once you know how.
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

Well, I just threw a Hail Mary because there was nothing else I could see. It is almost certainly a dud. I've been reading through the comments here after submitting my answer, and it seems very likely that I've missed everything. So total me up this week as welded onto the boat.
TPS

Post by TPS »

norrin2 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:05 pm I’m ashore but only because of several nudges. Can’t believe how lost I was and how easy it is once you know how.
This is a hard puzzle to nudge - at least it has been for me. Normally, I'll send a nudge and get a message back like 2-3 minutes later saying that was just enough for them to see the mechanism. That hasn't happened with this puzzle - I just get a message back saying, "Yeah, not seeing it" and thats usually my line! :lol: :lol: :lol:
brulo

Post by brulo »

i'll take a nudge
tmitchell300

Post by tmitchell300 »

On shore finally. Stared at it off and on for two days, then it hit me when I was driving to dinner. Weird one, since I didn't really go down any rabbit holes, I just stared blankly. I can see how it would be difficult to nudge this one.
burak

Post by burak »

I will refrain from commenting on the mechanism, but I just want to say that I enjoyed this meta puzzle because of a certain quality. I'll elaborate in 22 hours or so.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

TPS wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:27 pm

This is a hard puzzle to nudge - at least it has been for me.
I agree. The mechanism is so straightforward this week that it's challenging to even hint at it without giving everything away. I for one was massively overthinking it at first.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Prozach

Post by Prozach »

On Shore, finally. Thanks to two independent nudges that were pretty much the same, and thanks to Joe's Excel sheet.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

tmitchell300 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:55 pm On shore finally. Stared at it off and on for two days, then it hit me when I was driving to dinner.
You got it while driving, WOW! Tell us more. Did you have the puzzle with you so you could check immediately or did you have to wait until after dinner/dessert/ coffee to confirm? Was anyone in the car with you? Were they familiar with the contest or did you have to explain?
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:46 am
tmitchell300 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:55 pm On shore finally. Stared at it off and on for two days, then it hit me when I was driving to dinner.
You got it while driving, WOW! Tell us more. Did you have the puzzle with you so you could check immediately or did you have to wait until after dinner/dessert/ coffee to confirm? Was anyone in the car with you? Were they familiar with the contest or did you have to explain?
DWP is illegal in some states you know...just saying.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

TPS wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:27 pm
norrin2 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:05 pm I’m ashore but only because of several nudges. Can’t believe how lost I was and how easy it is once you know how.
This is a hard puzzle to nudge - at least it has been for me. Normally, I'll send a nudge and get a message back like 2-3 minutes later saying that was just enough for them to see the mechanism. That hasn't happened with this puzzle - I just get a message back saying, "Yeah, not seeing it" and thats usually my line! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Might as well throw that nudge my way, because I am seeing nothing.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

On shore. Matt threw us a bone this week. Should have seen it quicker.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

ky-mike wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:36 am

Thanks to a small nudge, I have left the bar on the ship and am staggering to the tiki bar on the shore. One Hawaiian Punch, please!
DaveKennison

Post by DaveKennison »

So my subconscious was supposed to work on the meta overnight and report back in the morning, but it gave me this:

There is a puzzle in the den,
In the den.
And there my master wields his pen,
Wields his pen.
And fills his grid, so very rapidly,
He has no time to talk to me!

Adieu, adieu, old friend, adieu.
I can no longer stay with you.
Your O! C! D! is overwhelming me,
So I must search for someone new!

To summarize: Puzzle was easy, can't grok the meta; I'll try again later, hoping for bettah.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Still hanging out with Isaac. I've had a couple of nudges which were already what I've been doing, so I guess I'm on the right path but not seeing the answer.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

ky-mike wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:57 am
ky-mike wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:36 am

Thanks to a small nudge, I have left the bar on the ship and am staggering to the tiki bar on the shore. One Hawaiian Punch, please!
One Hawaiian Punch coming up
Attachments
tenor.gif
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Just a note. PJM found something amazing in the grid that has nothing to do with the meta but with the skill of Matt Gaffney. I told him to post it later this afternoon under the assumption that by then everyone will have completed the grid.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Janet

Post by Janet »

I was happy that I solved the Saturday cryptic puzzle! Those are fun.

I may conquer this meta yet! My 3rd nudge I just got may end up getting me towed to shore! (in which case, I'll abstain from the mug lottery.)
bread-girl

Post by bread-girl »

I was stumped yesterday but a fresh look this morning led me to shore :) thanks for reassuring me that it wasn’t overly complicated