"Drawbacks" - October 2, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Rate the difficulty of the meta
Locked
User avatar
ReB
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:34 pm
Location: East Tennessee

Re: "Drawbacks" - October 2, 2020

#361

Post by ReB » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:34 pm

Bob cruise director wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:31 pm
Has anyone heard from Sal as to whether he or anyone else is opening the zoom meeting. If we don't hear from him, I can open up one but only for 45 minutes
Looks like you may need to...

User avatar
Joe Ross
Posts: 1020
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:46 am
Location: Cincinnati

#362

Post by Joe Ross » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:35 pm

KayW & I are in Prozach's room! JOIN US!

User avatar
hcbirker
Posts: 601
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:24 pm
Location: Studio City, CA

#363

Post by hcbirker » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:35 pm

Bob maybe you should start it.
Heidi

User avatar
ImOnToo
Posts: 139
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 5:28 pm
Location: Texas

#364

Post by ImOnToo » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:35 pm

Rats! I was looking forward to joining this week

User avatar
KayW
Posts: 445
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:10 am
Location: Chicago

#365

Post by KayW » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:35 pm

Prozach started a meeting here:

https://osu.zoom.us/my/tzachi.zach?pwd= ... FMeXo4UT09

(oops. this is a bad link. See Joe's post #366)
Last edited by KayW on Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Joe Ross
Posts: 1020
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:46 am
Location: Cincinnati

#366

Post by Joe Ross » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:36 pm

Prozach wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:32 pm
you guys can come aboard my room - no time limit

https://osu.zoom.us/my/tzachi.zach?pwd= ... FMeXo4UT09

User avatar
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director
Posts: 1837
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:38 pm
Location: any golf course that will take my money

#367

Post by Bob cruise director » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:36 pm

Bob Stevens
Cruise Director

User avatar
Al Sisti
Posts: 938
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:28 pm
Location: Whitesboro NY

#368

Post by Al Sisti » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:36 pm

Bob cruise director wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:31 pm
Has anyone heard from Sal as to whether he or anyone else is opening the zoom meeting. If we don't hear from him, I can open up one but only for 45 minutes
If you open one, will you put the address here or do we use his? I've only got about a half hour anyway, since the Yankees are starting a little after 8 (EST).

User avatar
Joe Ross
Posts: 1020
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:46 am
Location: Cincinnati

#369

Post by Joe Ross » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:38 pm


User avatar
Joe Ross
Posts: 1020
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:46 am
Location: Cincinnati

#370

Post by Joe Ross » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:39 pm

Bob has cancelled his meeting & joined Prozach's.

User avatar
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director
Posts: 1837
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:38 pm
Location: any golf course that will take my money

#371

Post by Bob cruise director » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:39 pm

Bob cruise director wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:36 pm
I have opened a meeting at https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89637952153?p ... J1TWlJZz09
I cancelled mine - go to tzachi's link
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director

SewYoung
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:25 pm
Location: Meridian, MS

#372

Post by SewYoung » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:39 pm

Joe Ross wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:36 pm
Prozach wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:32 pm
you guys can come aboard my room - no time limit

https://osu.zoom.us/my/tzachi.zach?pwd= ... FMeXo4UT09
I need a password to join. Thought maybe it was the MeX... at the end of this post, but it's not working for me.
.

User avatar
Joe Ross
Posts: 1020
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:46 am
Location: Cincinnati

#373

Post by Joe Ross » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:41 pm

SewYoung wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:39 pm
Joe Ross wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:36 pm
Prozach wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:32 pm
you guys can come aboard my room - no time limit

https://osu.zoom.us/my/tzachi.zach?pwd= ... FMeXo4UT09
I need a password to join. Thought maybe it was the MeX... at the end of this post, but it's not working for me.
No password needed, here. try again?

User avatar
KayW
Posts: 445
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:10 am
Location: Chicago

#374

Post by KayW » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:56 pm

.

SewYoung
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:25 pm
Location: Meridian, MS

#375

Post by SewYoung » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:38 pm

Joe Ross wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:41 pm
SewYoung wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:39 pm
Joe Ross wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:36 pm
I need a password to join. Thought maybe it was the MeX... at the end of this post, but it's not working for me.
No password needed, here. try again?
Thanks. Right after I posted that I closed that page and started over and (obviously) got in.

User avatar
ImOnToo
Posts: 139
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 5:28 pm
Location: Texas

#376

Post by ImOnToo » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:33 pm

Fun to meet everyone tonight!

User avatar
TPS
Posts: 570
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:19 pm
Location: Florida

#377

Post by TPS » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:51 pm

The Wed WSJ puzzle - was really great - I normally don't comment on the daily puzzles unless they don't make sense to me but this one was really elegant and I would put the difficulty of construction up there with any of the WSJCC puzzles.

GlennG
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:48 am

#378

Post by GlennG » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:22 am

TPS wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:51 pm
The Wed WSJ puzzle - was really great - I normally don't comment on the daily puzzles unless they don't make sense to me but this one was really elegant and I would put the difficulty of construction up there with any of the WSJCC puzzles.
Agreed. Really liked how smooth it was in solving it. Of course, I solved that one, unlike this meta (which I stared at for 2 hours with no idea to do about it) or any meta for that matter...

Good people can do Zoom meetups...don't have the equipment or Internet connection or I would have joined, but it's good people are getting together!

User avatar
Tripod
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri May 08, 2020 10:19 pm
Location: Massachusetts

#379

Post by Tripod » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:00 pm

I also enjoyed the Wednesday puzzle.

And in the 'better late than never category,' I was able to drift to shore on last week's meta. I had been away at a socially distanced family wedding all weekend, so didn't get to the puzzle until Monday. Obv didn't get a chance to submit, but so glad to hear a Muggle won!

Only one more day until Thursday!

howardl
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:19 pm

#380

Post by howardl » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:59 pm

I know this is devoted to Friday's WSJ contest. But on the Thursday WSJ: check out 14 across. The first time I have ever actually seen this clue in a crossword.

Locked