"Drawbacks" - October 2, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Meg

Post by Meg »

I received my WSJ mug today! I’m not going to post a picture because I think we all know what it looks like. The good news is that it only took 2 weeks from the day I got the email requesting my address. So, apparently, Lucy at the WSJ is on task!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
woozy

Post by woozy »

It's very frustrating when everyone seems to be the exact opposite. I though the grid was mild and average. But the meta is utterly clueless. There is utterly *nothing* I can see at all. After over a year of seeing the the meta within on twenty minutes to two hours to have *three* weeks in a row were I just can't see *anything* at all is maddening.
Latest meta: Never forget... and never mind (A WSJ retaliation)
wordsmith

Post by wordsmith »

wordsmith wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:32 am TGIF everyone! I have an answer that seems really clever...but is someone available for a reality check before I begin my meta happy hour? Thanks!
On shore! Thanks for the kind replies! Cheers!
TPS

Post by TPS »

woozy wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:37 pm It's very frustrating when everyone seems to be the exact opposite. I though the grid was mild and average. But the meta is utterly clueless. There is utterly *nothing* I can see at all. After over a year of seeing the the meta within on twenty minutes to two hours to have *three* weeks in a row were I just can't see *anything* at all is maddening.
I am not good at these - so take this with a grain of salt - after Joe Ross told me about his "Basics" for meta solving. I took it and some other things and I made a list of things I check and I add to it almost every week. For example, last week I added when the grid shape is different always look at those answers AND look at the first and last letter of theme answers to see if they form anything.

Anyway, the reason I solved this meta relatively quickly was because the second thing on my list told me to do something and when I did it immediately yielded results. Now some weeks it might be the 8th or 15th thing on my list and some weeks like last week or essentially any recent Gaffney puzzle the list hasn't worked at all - but since I started the list I've solved 50% of the puzzles and most of them within the first couple hours.

EDIT: Since someone asked - there is already a good start for the list in the FAQ / Community Solving Resources Section of this message board - I got 70-80% of my list from there and then have added as I did more puzzles.
Last edited by TPS on Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Tina wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:16 pm On shore! Tough grid and tough meta! 23A is a new vocabulary word for me. I enjoy learning new words!
I don't think this spoils anything...

I spent a month in Greece with my daughter when she did a summer class there (Photography / Art History). Spending so much time at the Acropolis, I got used to hearing the word - I just couldn't remember how to spell it!
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Meg wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:32 pm I received my WSJ mug today! I’m not going to post a picture because I think we all know what it looks like. The good news is that it only took 2 weeks from the day I got the email requesting my address. So, apparently, Lucy at the WSJ is on task!
How about a picture of the dog drinking from it? :lol:
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

DBMiller wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:48 pm
Tina wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:16 pm On shore! Tough grid and tough meta! 23A is a new vocabulary word for me. I enjoy learning new words!
I don't think this spoils anything...

I spent a month in Greece with my daughter when she did a summer class there (Photography / Art History). Spending so much time at the Acropolis, I got used to hearing the word - I just couldn't remember how to spell it!
Forgot to add, "Done and done".
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
DaveKennison

Post by DaveKennison »

Ashore! (And afraid to say much else, for fear of inadvertently posting a spoiler!) I’ll be interested to hear what others have to say about it.

I was trying to swim in, but strong currents were carrying me further and further out to sea until I encountered an odd fellow in a rowboat (he said his name was Michael) and ... well ... you can guess the rest ... 😜.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

agree that the grid was tougher than normal. Lived a few years in Greece, so 23A came easily. 8A though? Had to solve via down answers. Now to try to solve the meta - - not seeing anything immediately. Usually takes me a day or so to understand what the title refers to. In the meantime, I think some Eagle Rare may loosen some brain cells . . .
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

On shore!

Agree that there was a lot of staring until,BAM, there it was. Reminds me of the old story about one guy asking the other guy how he went bankrupt. The other guy replied; Two ways. First, very slowly. Then, all of a sudden.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Count me once again with Isaac. Iced tea for now, but I'm eyeing that Cloudy Bay...
Rufus T. Firefly
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

cbarbee002 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:26 pm agree that the grid was tougher than normal. Lived a few years in Greece, so 23A came easily. 8A though? Had to solve via down answers. Now to try to solve the meta - - not seeing anything immediately. Usually takes me a day or so to understand what the title refers to. In the meantime, I think some Eagle Rare may loosen some brain cells . . .
I got 8A due to my college major - one of the rare occasions when it's actually been used.

Got 23A due to a passage in a favorite novel.
Powers2020

Post by Powers2020 »

WOOHOO! Finally on the beach after failing miserably last week. I liked this one! I think it's late enough for a Juicy Jay IPA from Legion Brewing here in Charlotte...
BethA

Post by BethA »

Hey! Here’s something different! Yesterday my husband Dan asked me to print out an extra copy of the meta puzzle for HIM! Til now, he’s been one of the long-suffering spouses who puts up with my trials and tribulations and triumphs while working on the metas.

Well, I’m very happy to report, he’s on the beach!! 🏖 Celebrating his first meta puzzle solve with a Pinot Grigio!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

BethA wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:08 pm Hey! Here’s something different! Yesterday my husband Dan asked me to print out an extra copy of the meta puzzle for HIM! Til now, he’s been one of the long-suffering spouses who puts up with my trials and tribulations and triumphs while working on the metas.

Well, I’m very happy to report, he’s on the beach!! 🏖 Celebrating his first meta puzzle solve with a Pinot Grigio!
I guess we will count him independently as we count Paul D's son Dom. What would he like to be called. Beth's cabana boy???? :lol:
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

I'm still at the bar with Isaac. I haven't really had a chance to gnash my teeth and rend my garments much over this one since I had to work today, but nothing is jumping out at me yet.
BethA

Post by BethA »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:33 pm
BethA wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:08 pm Hey! Here’s something different! Yesterday my husband Dan asked me to print out an extra copy of the meta puzzle for HIM! Til now, he’s been one of the long-suffering spouses who puts up with my trials and tribulations and triumphs while working on the metas.

I guess we will count him independently as we count Paul D's son Dom. What would he like to be called. Beth's cabana boy???? :lol:
Hahaha!

DanA would be fine. Thanks for counting him, and all the rest of us all the time, too!!
Meg

Post by Meg »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:53 pm
Meg wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:32 pm I received my WSJ mug today! I’m not going to post a picture because I think we all know what it looks like. The good news is that it only took 2 weeks from the day I got the email requesting my address. So, apparently, Lucy at the WSJ is on task!
How about a picture of the dog drinking from it? :lol:
Unfortunately Annie passed away a few years ago. She’s up there somewhere retrieving a tennis ball and refusing to let go of it.❤️
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

On shore now, but still confused.

After staring at the grid a little longer during some Zoom meetings today, I have what must be the answer. It's definitely in the Mike Shenk style.

I don't understand how so many people are calling the meta easy. I felt like I was trying to drive somewhere but kept making wrong turns. Maybe I'm just bad at this kind of puzzle; it's not my favorite. I'll find out Sunday night if there was a better way to reach my destination.

I always liked the word that's 23A. I think I learned it on a trip to France, but they spell it differently.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:33 pm

I'm thinking Beth doesn't want Dan to find out about cabana boy. Could get messy.
Rufus T. Firefly