"Drawbacks" - October 2, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
TPS

Post by TPS »

LesY wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:27 pm Enjoyed the tough grid.
I was so pleased with myself for solving the grid - in my mind I was like I don't even care if I solve the meta - so of course then I immediately solved the meta :lol: :lol:
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

On shore and enjoying the drink (Hetch Hetch water or Diet Coke -- too early here for dinner). 99.5% confidence. Was nice to meet many of you in the Tuesday Zoom.

Is it [next] Thursday yet?
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Time to add MGWCC. I think you will really enjoy them, especially the ones in the second half of the month.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

I'm on a shore, but it smells a bit fishy. I'll hold off for now but will submit it if I don't come up with something more elegant by the time I leave for the real shore at the NC Outer Banks on Saturday.
Last edited by Scott M on Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
M and M

Post by M and M »

Fun and fair - but there are plenty of available rabbit holes! We are cheerfully on shore leaving rabbit holes behind. (Does this mean there are rabbits on the boat? I am tangled in this metaphor.)

Also, a quick note for beginners - there is a printed collection of the WSJ puzzles right back to the first meta, which was so easy! Starting back with those builds a lot of confidence. Look for the Blue Chip WSJ crossword puzzle collection - you can find it at bookshop.org or you-know-where.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

I think that I have it, but seem to have a small drawback that I can't get over. Anyone who has solved want to help clarify the drawback for me?
haari

Post by haari »

never really realized one could do the puzzle on a Thursday until i started reading this blog... so first time solving on a Thursday for me... puzzle is complete, but now it seems i might have three and a half days of frustration instead of just the usual two and a half as i try an solve the meta!
an it harm none, do as thou wilt... :D :D :D
RobM

Post by RobM »

ky-mike wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:21 pm I think that I have it, but seem to have a small drawback that I can't get over. Anyone who has solved want to help clarify the drawback for me?
Sent a private message
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Finally on shore. Too many rabbits, but got it. Mai Tai please!
Heidi
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

ky-mike wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:21 pm I think that I have it, but seem to have a small drawback that I can't get over. Anyone who has solved want to help clarify the drawback for me?
Got it. I had the right answer, but just slightly misinterpreted the mechanism.

Safely on shore. Weller Time!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

M and M wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:54 pm Fun and fair - but there are plenty of available rabbit holes! We are cheerfully on shore leaving rabbit holes behind. (Does this mean there are rabbits on the boat? I am tangled in this metaphor.)

Also, a quick note for beginners - there is a printed collection of the WSJ puzzles right back to the first meta, which was so easy! Starting back with those builds a lot of confidence. Look for the Blue Chip WSJ crossword puzzle collection - you can find it at bookshop.org or you-know-where.
Find all past WSJCC solutions &.and puzzles on this site.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
boharr

Post by boharr »

On shore. Had beer with dinner so time for a nip of cognac perhaps.

EDIT: Oh, and the title makes sense to me.
Last edited by boharr on Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I’ll be the first to say that I am firmly on the boat and have absolutely no clue where to start. I foresee lots of grid-gazing this weekend. And I know so little about the world of art.
Cynthia
Beth C

Post by Beth C »

Done and done on Thursday night. Unheard of, for me anyway! Usually don't even look at the puzzle until Friday evening. Found the grid harder than usual but I saw the mechanism for the meta solve very quickly. Now, where's my vino? Good luck Muggles.
markhr

Post by markhr »

On shore after a brief stumble. Tidy puzzle this week.
TMart

Post by TMart »

BarbaraK wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:11 pm
TMart wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:25 pm Scratching my head on the beach. I got it, but don't quite get it, and I'm not sure what to submit. A few rounds from the Tiki Bar should help!
Uh oh. That’s what people were saying about the pageant puzzle.

I’d call this a 100%er.
No pageant here, and I am at 100%. I'm just not that familiar with the phrasing.
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

Solved. Time for another coffee that will keep me up too late.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Had the mechanism halfway through the grid. I salute the coolness of Shenk.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
RPardoe

Post by RPardoe »

Thought I had a glitch or error - the only error was between chair and keyboard.
Resolved that and puzzled solved with certainty.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Count me ashore! Grid was much more difficult (for me) than the usual WSJCC. Meta was a snap.