"You're Surrounded" - September 25, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good morning muggles

First a welcome to our newest muggle - Agatha

And yesterday I missed two muggles on shore - Cynthia J was there but I missed her and Jace54 was on my list but I jumped over him.

From what I read and observed, Wendy had a date that we all would like to have missed but she seems to have recovered from it nicely.

Some progress on the contest has resulted in 19 still on the ship and 102 on the shore

Getting into the ship's bar in time to enjoy the afternoon sports are
flamingbear
and ErkiThor

And making it to shore where the outdoor large TV's are set up (along with an adequate supply of cheap beer and wine for the nostalgic crowd) are:
the aforementioned Cynthia J and Jace54
Emmajane
Agatha
JennyByrd
Cindy N
zaccmoretz being towed there by his 85 year old Aunt Norma (go Aunt Norma)
eagle1279 who was bailed out by his daughter in New Zealand (another great place to go by the way - and you can do it all on your own)
maprasad
bread-girl
Schmeel - extra credit for not living here

Good luck to all and stay safe.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Meg wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:38 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:32 pm On shore. Meg, could you please have your cabana boy bring me a margarita?

Plenty of rabbit holes with this one.
Sure. Be sure to compliment him on his Speedo.
Anybody else picturing Meg's very own Agador Spartacus?
Captureagador2.JPG
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Cindy N wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:48 pm This one definitely took me longer than usual. Saw something that seemed to fit with the title and got terribly turned around. I didn't just go down the rabbit hole, I ended up lost in a Watership Down sized warren! But, after tossing out almost everything, got it straightened out and ended up on shore at last.
Sounds like me except I haven't extricated myself yet. :D
Love Watership Down. When we finally got to London a few years ago, I made sure we took a side trip to visit there. It's actually pretty close to Highclere Castle of Downton Abbey fame. Guess which one had more tourists! :D
Plymouthrock

Post by Plymouthrock »

For the sake of our percentages, I’m weighing in.
Ashore!
Meg

Post by Meg »

whimsy wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:02 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:32 pm On shore. Meg, could you please have your cabana boy bring me a margarita?

Captureagador2.JPG
Agador Spartacus!! One of my all time favorite characters! A great movie, to be sure.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

On the beach, after a late start this afternoon. Good thing the swim was fast (or maybe I'm on the wrong beach... but I'm pretty confident).
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

I'm safely on shore - it was a bumpy ride at first, but I made it.
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Done (Thu eve) and done (just now).

Happy to get this one. Well, now that I think about it, I'm happy to get ANY meta.
NaluGirl

Post by NaluGirl »

Ashore! Yay! Thanks, Joe!
Ann

Post by Ann »

Finally! Very satisfying.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:53 am Good morning muggles

First a welcome to our newest muggle - Agatha

And yesterday I missed two muggles on shore - Cynthia J was there but I missed her and Jace54 was on my list but I jumped over him.

From what I read and observed, Wendy had a date that we all would like to have missed but she seems to have recovered from it nicely.

Some progress on the contest has resulted in 19 still on the ship and 102 on the shore

Getting into the ship's bar in time to enjoy the afternoon sports are
flamingbear
and ErkiThor

And making it to shore where the outdoor large TV's are set up (along with an adequate supply of cheap beer and wine for the nostalgic crowd) are:
the aforementioned Cynthia J and Jace54
Emmajane
Agatha
JennyByrd
Cindy N
zaccmoretz being towed there by his 85 year old Aunt Norma (go Aunt Norma)
eagle1279 who was bailed out by his daughter in New Zealand (another great place to go by the way - and you can do it all on your own)
maprasad
bread-girl
Schmeel - extra credit for not living here

Good luck to all and stay safe.
And me!
Heidi
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Plymouthrock wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:12 pm For the sake of our percentages, I’m weighing in.
Ashore!
Every time I see your post, I think of a billboard which along the Mass Pike in the Berkshires

SEEPLYMOUTH

At 75 mph, most of us read it as SEEPLY MOUTH and wondered what it meant.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Gpiggies

Post by Gpiggies »

On shore! Looked at it anew this morning and there it was!
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:49 am
Tom Shea wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:32 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:33 pm I am still working on getting the new computer up to speed but have enough to give the status. (but a rant - I hate subscription services and even worse when I have an application that I like as a stand alone, I do not want to go to a subscription service - hear that Adobe!!!)
I have some very cherished CDs for that reason. AutoCAD 2006, MS project (which I don't even use anymore), and Adobe pro version. I run Adobe 8.3 (have to install 8.1 and do the upgrades, which fixes some printing issues). Since new computers don't have CD drives anymore, have to transfer the files over the LAN and fake out the new computer to think it's reading a drive.

I will cry when McAfee no longer supports Windows 7 (like happened with XP/NT), and I have to 'upgrade' to a clearly inferior product.
So far my list includes

Office 2010 (which has more capability than I will ever know) replaced by Office 365 $100/year
Quicken - now a subscription service for $50/year
Lightroom and Photoshop - now a subscription service for $11/month
Pro Show Gold - out of business - requires new program at $25/month
Downloader Pro - requires upgrade for $50
You can still get office 2016 stand-alones (for PC) from third party retailers. The crystalline entity doesn't support them, but I never recall needing office support.
Rufus T. Firefly
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:44 pm
Plymouthrock wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:12 pm For the sake of our percentages, I’m weighing in.
Ashore!
Every time I see your post, I think of a billboard which along the Mass Pike in the Berkshires

SEEPLYMOUTH

At 75 mph, most of us read it as SEEPLY MOUTH and wondered what it meant.
You drive that slowly on the pike?
Rufus T. Firefly
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

whimsy wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:02 pm

Captureagador2.JPG
The great Hank Azaria.
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

And Cold Duck and Thunderbird -"What's the word? Thunderbird! What's the price? Fifty twice!
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure the price of Thunderbird was forty twice, but I did drink a lot of it so no telling what it and others equally awful -- Annie Green Springs, anyone? -- did to my brain cells. Thunderbird was truly vile. How in the world they got the ever suave James Mason to sell their swill is a mystery. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS45gE5Mlf8
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

In college I had a 1964 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia which had two bucket seats in front and a tiny bench seat in back. You could lift up the "seat cushion" and there was a space underneath just right for a bottle of MD 20/20 or whatever was cheaper than that. We called it our traveling bar. Of course we never drank when driving, mostly in the dorm parking lot making sure we were out of the eye of the housemother. The wine was terrible and may have permanently ruined my taste for wine. Give me a Guinness anytime!
Last edited by Nlobb on Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Hi, I'm Josh, a new muggle who is getting hooked on these puzzles. I'm completely at sea with seemingly no hope of rescue this week.
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

madhatter5 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:50 pm Hi, I'm Josh, a new muggle who is getting hooked on these puzzles. I'm completely at sea with seemingly no hope of rescue this week.
Welcome, Josh. Let us know if you want a nudge.