"You're Surrounded" - September 25, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Martin

Post by Martin »

Rabbit hole alert.
Due to a bug, the accented character in the clue for 23-Down, "Diarist Anaïs," got garbled in the Across Lite version. It's fixed now, and I hope solvers realized it was a glitch. But lest someone think it were an intentional part of the meta, it was just a bug. Sorry for any confusion.
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

On the beach! 🏖🍺
Jack Sullivan
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

boharr wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:29 pm
ChrisKochmanski wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:24 pm
mheberlingx100 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:19 pm

I haven't had a Genny Cream Ale since college, probably 1979. I feel so old.

We also used to drink Mickey's, which came in a short, green, wide-mouth bottle. We called it the Green Grenade.

By the way, I'm on the beach!
Hereabouts (Michigan), in the category of super cheap beers, we also had Pfeiffer, Drewry, Blatz, Falstaff, Goetz, and others that maybe weren't quite so cheap or bad, like Carling and Hamm's. And of course our hometown favorite, Stroh's!
When I visited in-laws in Michigan, they gave me Stroh's.
i grew up in Reading, PA. There used to be 2 breweries in town, Reading Beer and Sunshine Beer ("the friendly beer for modern people").

Both went out of business long before I got close to drinking age. My dad used to say they made Sunshine Beer from corn flakes.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

hcbirker wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:31 pm Still looking. Have a few ideas, but nothing panning out just yet. Lots of time!
Yay! At least I have you to keep me company on board, Heidi. "If one were here, it'd be surrounded" makes my brain hurt. It's like some kind of a koan.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

steveb wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:04 pm Not a tough solve
Sez you!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Gman

Post by Gman »

LesY wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:04 pm Ashore! I missed both the Guinness and the spoilers. Will look forward to the post-game on Monday.
There were spoilers???? Dang. Not seeing it. No Genny Cream for me ever again, so I'll have a gin martini with Isaac. Up with a twist, please.
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

Re 16A:

Served as midwife for the delivery of her twin brother Apollo.

May have killed Orion.

Her temple in Ephesus was one of the seven wonders of the ancient world.

Lunar exploration program planning to land the first woman on the moon.
Jack Sullivan
TPS

Post by TPS »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:00 pm
Sez you!
I know when Wendy can't solve it this far in - I literally have no chance. :lol: :lol:
boharr

Post by boharr »

TPS wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:18 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:00 pm
Sez you!
I know when Wendy can't solve it this far in - I literally have no chance. :lol: :lol:
You mean Page One Wendy? :P
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:08 pm
Meg wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:02 pm 4 years ago you were the QUEEN of the Spoiler Police!! Which is surprising because you are such a sweetie. You’re like a meta cheerleader!
You are right, I used to be very quick to jump on people for spilling the beans. I must be mellowing in my old age or, dare I say it, gaining some perspective! Or at least I've realized that stifling others will not significantly improve my chances of winning a mug in even the best week.
When I first got hooked on these, I was a total spoiler-phobe. WSJ was the only one I did, so if it got spoiled for me, there was a whole long week til there'd be another.

As I started doing more and more, I mellowed a bit. Oh well, if this one is spoiled there'll be another in a day or two.

Now MGWCC's solo-solve category has me spoiler-phobic again - especially for those ones.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Ok - finally onshore - thanks to boharr who flew a helicopter out to get me. I had the right general idea from 1 minute in but then spent 5 hours swimming in circles while people threw me life preservers unfortunately those essentially contained the same information I already knew.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

I'm not picking up what Mr. Gaffney's laying down, just yet. I'm amused at the tip o' the hat to _his own previous meta_, though.
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

Meg wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:38 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:32 pm On shore. Meg, could you please have your cabana boy bring me a margarita?

Plenty of rabbit holes with this one.
Sure. Be sure to compliment him on his Speedo.
Damn. This just makes me want to get to the beach so much faster ;)
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Grid done, but spending night beering with Isaac. Ye god! Reingold Extra Dry nearly killed me from dehydration after a college orientation bash. So it was wonderful to find pitchers of smooth Genny Cream Ale for $1 in the campus Rathskeller. I drove the NYS Thruway out to interview one of the Matt brothers for an Economics paper I was writing. Professor loved it, so I made sure he was my senior thesis advisor. Ahh, Liberal Arts!

But here's another beer critic in a legendary NSFW video clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snhiofL2Rh4
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

On shore.

Meg - the cabana boy is young enough to be your grandson. You should be embarrassed.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
edot

Post by edot »

On shore with some huckleberry vodka from Montana--refreshing!
LesY

Post by LesY »

Gman wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:06 pm
LesY wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:04 pm Ashore! I missed both the Guinness and the spoilers. Will look forward to the post-game on Monday.
There were spoilers???? Dang. Not seeing it. No Genny Cream for me ever again, so I'll have a gin martini with Isaac. Up with a twist, please.
Post #36. It sounds like they may have been somewhat benign, but apparently they were deleted.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Commodore wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:40 pm Grid done, but spending night beering with Isaac. Ye god! Reingold Extra Dry nearly killed me from dehydration after a college orientation bash. So it was wonderful to find pitchers of smooth Genny Cream Ale for $1 in the campus Rathskeller. I drove the NYS Thruway out to interview one of the Matt brothers for an Economics paper I was writing. Professor loved it, so I made sure he was my senior thesis advisor. Ahh, Liberal Arts!

But here's another beer critic in a legendary NSFW video clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snhiofL2Rh4
The Matts still run the Saranac Brewery...
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

🏝
boharr

Post by boharr »

hunkra wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:36 pm
Meg wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:38 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:32 pm On shore. Meg, could you please have your cabana boy bring me a margarita?

Plenty of rabbit holes with this one.
Sure. Be sure to compliment him on his Speedo.
Damn. This just makes me want to get to the beach so much faster ;)
Is it the margaritas or the speedo?