"Group Outings" - September 18, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Kas

Post by Kas »

Well, I'm with Isaac...and hoping that posting my shame here will yield the A-Ha Moment, lol. Grid--no problem. Meta? Totally floundering...and based a light review of this thread, very real concerns about a looming Kas 4....
Meg

Post by Meg »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:29 am
BrianMac wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:23 am Did NOT find this one easy! I have dragged myself to shore, exhausted, on hands and knees, coughing up water. I'll just lie here for a while and recover a bit before heading to the tiki bar.
Text us before the tide starts coming in. We will send Meg's pool boy over with a wheelbarrow to pick you up.
I didn’t realize he was MY pool boy. I’ve tried to explain metas to him but his eyes sort of glaze over. He does wonder why a bunch of people act like sea turtles every week. He watches hundreds of us come out of the ocean and look for the bar.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Carla

Post by Carla »

Ashore but not certain it is THE SHORE...
burak

Post by burak »

Good puzzle. It's good to see different constructors from time to time, who might not necessarily employ different meta mechanisms but at least bring a different voice to the table.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Pardon this interruption, but is it me, or does Matt Wolff (21 y.o. USGA US Open leader) put anyone else in mind of Luis Tiant (MLB pitcher from mid-'60s to early '80s)?
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Got the grid but didn't see it Thursday, then got busy and just picked it back up. Fairly easy trip to shore.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:19 pm Pardon this interruption, but is it me, or does Matt Wolff (21 y.o. USGA US Open leader) put anyone else in mind of Luis Tiant (MLB pitcher from mid-'60s to early '80s)?
Does he smoke a cigar in the shower?
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
nkumar

Post by nkumar »

I am at a complete loss on this one.
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

Hoping for some sort of inspiration. Couldn't get to it before today, but now that I've done the grid and am sitting here with Isaac, maybe a drink or two will propel me to shore.
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
boharr

Post by boharr »

jenirvin wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:27 pm Hoping for some sort of inspiration. Couldn't get to it before today, but now that I've done the grid and am sitting here with Isaac, maybe a drink or two will propel me to shore.
Well, the drinks won't hurt.
Begbie

Post by Begbie »

Still floundering. And I hate to ask this, but wondering if some kind soul could PM me a hint or a nudge.
LizandBritta

Post by LizandBritta »

Gosh, I swear just when I think I’ve gotten good at these, I stare at them for an hour and a half without a single clue.
boharr

Post by boharr »

LizandBritta wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:02 pm Gosh, I swear just when I think I’ve gotten good at these, I stare at them for an hour and a half without a single clue.
That happens to all of us, all too often.
Begbie

Post by Begbie »

And thanks to the life preserver tossed by a couple of muggles, I am now on shore. Kicking myself for not having grasped it, but grateful for the nudge and for the chance to enjoy the beach! Cheers!
LizandBritta

Post by LizandBritta »

Begbie wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:21 pm And thanks to the life preserver tossed by a couple of muggles, I am now on shore. Kicking myself for not having grasped it, but grateful for the nudge and for the chance to enjoy the beach! Cheers!
Is there a possibility you could further the help? I have a bunch of ideas but they’re all excruciatingly half baked
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

LizandBritta wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:02 pm Gosh, I swear just when I think I’ve gotten good at these, I stare at them for an hour and a half without a single clue.
Send me a PM with what you have done and we can see if you are close or stuck in some rabbitless rabbit hole.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
LizandBritta

Post by LizandBritta »

Thank you all for pulling my little life raft ashore! I was close to capsizing
cherikee

Post by cherikee »

I'm still lost - if anyone could give me a nudge, I'd appreciate it.
LaceyK

Post by LaceyK »

Ooops--I'm sorry for the post blunder. Thank you to the editor. I'm usually aware when I want to make a clever comment but cannot. I was completely oblivious. I'll blame it on the rabbits.
flamingbear

Post by flamingbear »

I think I’m on shore. But will have to submit and wait for the write ups to see if it’s the same shore.
Matt / Flamingbear