"Going In All Directions" - May 3, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Meg

Post by Meg »

BrianMac wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 1:11 pm
Meg wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 11:40 am
BrianMac wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:49 am Please be careful not to disclose too much about the nature of the meta answer before the deadline.
Brian, I was going to ask you about spoilerish (either intended or not) comments. Wendy used to be the Spoiler Police, but she abdicated that role a long time ago. I suppose as the admin guy, you can just delete the comment. We are kind people here on this blog, and sometimes the desire to help results in a hint, which we are not permitted to do. A private message, on the other hand, can be a big help.
Btw, I don’t know what you are referring to in your comment!
I'll have to give some thought on how to handle it (I am open to suggestions). Spoilers are easy, like the person who posted "body" on WSJ a few weeks ago. Last week, I deleted a post that had the word MEXICO in it (in a non-accidental way). But there are judgment calls like some comments this week that seem to me to be a pretty big hint. But no one has said anything so maybe it's just me. I don't want to have a stricter policy here than at the old site. Or looser for that matter.
Brian, as far as I know the "policy" at the old site was that one of us would report the post containing a spoiler to the Moderator who might or might not be Mike Miller. The Mod would decide to delete the post or not. It really is a judgment call, and perhaps nobody has said anything because that just draws attention. What do you think about the policy of PMing you if we think a post contains a spoiler?
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

I think that sounds fine, and hopefully what would happen anyway (everyone should feel free to PM me for any reason). I think this week it's probably just me...more on Monday. 🙂
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are definitely on shore.......good puzzle and meta. Looking for either Powerball or the damn mug - seems like either are impossible to get! Maybe a Derby winner?

Luck to all.
BrianDavidson

Post by BrianDavidson »

Solved the grid Thursday. Had a hunch about the meta, but couldn’t make it out. Let it sit until 10 minutes ago and found my way to the shore. Very neat puzzle!
Doug C

Post by Doug C »

Have been playing and reading along for a couple weeks and now taking the plunge! On shore and looking forward to future cruises.
Gwyneth_S

Post by Gwyneth_S »

Lost at sea, but intrigued by the possibilities. Maybe an afternoon cappuccino with an add-shot will sharpen my solving skills.
Ffrohbose

Post by Ffrohbose »

Back on shore after a 2week cruise
Janet

Post by Janet »

On shore! The 4th was with me!
Toby

Post by Toby »

Trey, I'd suggest you choose the Powerball.
sheilaco

Post by sheilaco »

Finally ashore (not using whatever hints were in the comments) with a little nudge from a friend. I was on the right track just hadn't found the right rabbit hole.
JJD

Post by JJD »

Bleagh. LAS with several promising rabbit holes reconnoitered.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

sheilaco wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 4:47 pm Finally ashore (not using whatever hints were in the comments) with a little nudge from a friend. I was on the right track just hadn't found the right rabbit hole.
You were first in the ship's bar. It must have been all that quality time with Isaac giving you a nudge that did it.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Abide

Post by Abide »

Same here. Stuck for a day with wrong rabbits, read comments (that don’t seem to help), then immediately solve meta. Interesting phenomena.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
MatthewB

Post by MatthewB »

After taking advantage of the open bar, my wife and I made it to shore. Happy happy Joy joy!
darthdriessen

Post by darthdriessen »

I'm ashore for the first time in several weeks. Was 90% sure, then looked back and noticed the corresponding proof.
BethA

Post by BethA »

BrianMac wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 1:33 pm I think that sounds fine, and hopefully what would happen anyway (everyone should feel free to PM me for any reason). I think this week it's probably just me...more on Monday. 🙂
It’s not just you. I think there are a few that are a bit revealing.

I reported one to Mike Miller when someone posted the actual answer. Since then I’ve given up reporting. I just protect myself from spoilers by not visiting the blog until I have an answer. Being able to check the blog is my reward!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

The big group on shore looks so welcome after seeing nothing here for quite some time, then suddenly seeing the way. Nice aha, but long in coming. Let’s play some volleyball, people! As for what might have been too hint-like in a few of these posts, well, none of it proved helpful to me. I just finally saw the way. Though with the answer in hand, I suppose that some of what I was reading here helped to confirm it.
CandyB

Post by CandyB »

Argh. Still at sea.
CandyB

Post by CandyB »

Aha! Found it. On shore.
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

I actually had been drinking a little bit before coming back to take another crack at it. I'm on shore now. I was literally at sea for about 3 hours today at a regatta.
I've only been doing these since the start of the year, but my experience with these is starting to help. Anyone regular should be able to get this one, but I expect that someone solving for the first time will have a harder time than the last few weeks.
Like many others, I used a dictionary to confirm my answer. I think I've had to use the internet for at least the last 3.

I finally joined this forum because the WSJ one is closed and they haven't opened up the continued discussion.