"Going In All Directions" - May 3, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 3:38 pm
FrankieHeck wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:34 am I started out by looking at the letters above the Ns, below the Ss, etc. Same strategy I had tried incorrectly in a PGWCC last month. Then I had the great idea to color in every N, S, E, and W to see if they revealed something. That was a lovely mess. Fortunately I thought of the correct strategy after I put it away for a while, before I did more damage to my puzzle and brain.
In my seemingly never-ending quest to ignore Occam's Razor, I started traversing squares in every direction -- not just N,S, E and W, but U, D, R and L -- to see where that would lead me... until I told myself "Not even my ex-wives would be that mean!"
Ditto, plus I found enough NEs and SEs to try all 4 intercardinals. Of course to no avail. Thankfully, I finally saw one of the "marked" letters and the rest was...eddyfying?

-Matt
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 3:11 pm Congratulations to everyone who cracked this ingenious puzzle (and to Mike who performed an amazing feat of construction). We had an impressive 1073 entries and fully 90% were correct. Incorrect answers were quite a grab bag, including SWEEP, RESOLUTION, SWIPE, SWIPE RIGHT, PERPETUAL, TREMORS, and many others.

And congrats to this week's winner: Kathleen Reilly Graves of Briarcliff Manor, NY.
Love the posts of incorrect answers, and aspire to have many of my mightily thunk-thru clunkers posted publicly in the Miller's Tale.

Congratulations, Kathleen!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Commodore wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:55 pm
Love the posts of incorrect answers, and aspire to have many of my mightily thunk-thru clunkers posted publicly in the Miller's Tale.

Congratulations, Kathleen!
Probably better odds than actually winning the mug. Love how we find our victories where we can.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 3:38 pm
FrankieHeck wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:34 am I started out by looking at the letters above the Ns, below the Ss, etc. Same strategy I had tried incorrectly in a PGWCC last month. Then I had the great idea to color in every N, S, E, and W to see if they revealed something. That was a lovely mess. Fortunately I thought of the correct strategy after I put it away for a while, before I did more damage to my puzzle and brain.
In my seemingly never-ending quest to ignore Occam's Razor, I started traversing squares in every direction -- not just N,S, E and W, but U, D, R and L -- to see where that would lead me... until I told myself "Not even my ex-wives would be that mean!"
I tried both of those paths, too! Anti-Occam’s Razor indeed.