"Where's The Rest?" - September 11, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Got it! Count me on shore! Quite a voyage!
Heidi
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

On shore, smiling all the way. That was whole bunches of fun!
TPS

Post by TPS »

ky-mike wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:10 pm
TPS wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:55 pm Not gonna happen this week.
Yes it will. I believe in you.
Your belief was definitely misplaced.

If you broke this puzzle down into steps there are 5 points where I would not have figured it out.

But honestly I'm not even disappointed because it makes about as much sense as something John Nash would come up with if he went on a week long meth binge.
edot

Post by edot »

On shore!! Less stressful than trimming my cats’ claws about an hour ago :)
Inca

Post by Inca »

Bird Lives wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:33 pm It took me longer that it should have because I overlooked one item and thus got letters that spelled out nothing. But once I knew what was missing, I knew what to look for and found it.

This is not an especially difficult meta, but still I am amazed that Matt and Mike can keep coming up with all these different ideas.
I think this is where I am.
Definitely am right there because this is no coincidence.
But can't make anything out of what I have........
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I have a word. It is a real word. I don’t think it’s THE word, though I believe I followed the correct method. Long day at work for me, so I’m going to sleep on it and hope for enlightenment with my coffee tomorrow morning.
Anita

Post by Anita »

Toes in the sand! Loved this one, really fun.
elementary

Post by elementary »

On shore after a late start and questioning myself for a bit. Really clever puzzle.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

🏝Bob, I apologize for the large gap between Beth’s.
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

Bird Lives wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:33 pm It took me longer that it should have because I overlooked one item and thus got letters that spelled out nothing. But once I knew what was missing, I knew what to look for and found it.

This is not an especially difficult meta, but still I am amazed that Matt and Mike can keep coming up with all these different ideas.
I wasn't going to go into so much detail as I thought it could be spoiler, but I did the exact same thing. I made it to shore while watching the Chiefs game.

I also agree that it's a nice puzzle. It's original, but definitely in the Gaffney style.

I watched the first part of the WSJ+ Live event with Mike and Matt, which was cool to see.
Kas

Post by Kas »

Hello Muggles! Just saying hi. Haven't actually started the puzzle yet, so I wanted to just bask in my groundless optimism for a minute...lol.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

SusieG wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:16 pm I have a word. It is a real word. I don’t think it’s THE word, though I believe I followed the correct method. Long day at work for me, so I’m going to sleep on it and hope for enlightenment with my coffee tomorrow morning.
I’m exactly where you are! My answer works and isn’t forced, but I just don’t think it's elegant enough to be THE answer. I will keep looking at the finished grid and if nothing else grabs me, I’ll enter it on Sunday.🤔 Good luck!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
tori.l

Post by tori.l »

Had all the pieces quickly, then took longer than it should have to put them together correctly. Laughed out loud when I got it. :)
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

On shore. Ditto to tori.l
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
BeTheLight

Post by BeTheLight »

On shore and I think this is a 100%. If you watched the WSJ+ Live event today with Gaffney, he talks about elegance in the theme entries, which I think extends to the meta answer. You'll know you have the right meta answer because it's elegant.
RobM

Post by RobM »

Onshore, with high confidence. Truthfully, I was a step away from the answer but a comment on this board gave me enough the tiny nudge I needed to get to the beaach.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I'm really behind on metas this week, but at least I can cross WSJCC off the list! On the beach, this was a good one!
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Solved and submitted. That was quite a workout. Elegant.
stmv

Post by stmv »

Safely on shore: got 90% of it in five minutes, but missed one crucial fact that delayed me for some time. Just went back over it again and saw my omission, and now it is all clear.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

But honestly I'm not even disappointed because it makes about as much sense as something John Nash would come up with if he went on a week long meth binge.
Amazing quote. I feel this way about all the ones I don't get.