"Where's The Rest?" - September 11, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Oh no! Not again. Can’t use third line of keyboard. Can’t see top of grid and clue/keyword at the same time.

Last time they did this, someone, probably Joe, found the trick to get back to the regular format. But I’ve forgotten what if was🙁

Edit: Found it! It was from Joe, of course. Font size icon, then open in another tab.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Thanks Barbara and Joe. That’s been driving me crazy.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Since we're talking about the messed up WSJ puzzle page............

I'm trying to download (so that I can print) the Saturday crossword: Forms of Address. I can get to the page where you solve it online. However, when I click the download PDF button, it brings up an entirely different puzzle. Any suggestions??
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

LadyBird wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:40 pm Since we're talking about the messed up WSJ puzzle page............

I'm trying to download (so that I can print) the Saturday crossword: Forms of Address. I can get to the page where you solve it online. However, when I click the download PDF button, it brings up an entirely different puzzle. Any suggestions??
support@wsj.com

Mike Miller & the WSJ support team would like to hear from everyone having issues. They are very responsive, open to feedback, and wish the opportunity to fix inevitable problems with these latest changes.

[Edit: Corrected proper email address for sending notice of glitches in new format.]
Last edited by Joe Ross on Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
femullen

Post by femullen »

I was doing the regular crossword online yesterday. Talk about goofed up! Not only was the keyboard partially hidden, but I would type in the letters to a grid answer, and they would be offset by one grid square. E.g., if the answer was WORD, I'd type W-O-R-D, but what was shown on the grid was (Blank)-W-O-R and the D was sent to the first letter of the next answer. I thought I must be drunk, so I checked: no such luck.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

Anyone notice that the online clue said "puzzleS" and the PDF/print did not? Major clue
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

Hi and sorry to hear about glitches with the new format! We are retiring an ancient and decrepit blog platform, so overtime it's been important to get on this new system. One benefit is that you can click directly into a crossword--the old platform required two clicks. We're collecting all the feedback about problems and addressing them. The best place to send technical complaints is support@wsj.com. Thanks!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:07 am Hi and sorry to hear about glitches with the new format! We are retiring an ancient and decrepit blog platform, so overtime it's been important to get on this new system. One benefit is that you can click directly into a crossword--the old platform required two clicks. We're collecting all the feedback about problems and addressing them. The best place to send technical complaints is support@wsj.com. Thanks!
Mike
Thanks. I went through several platform changes when I was working and every time it was "there will be no problems and it won't take any time" from all my engineers and the salesmen who sold us the upgrades". It wound up as "and I have a bridge to sell you"

Looking forward to this afternoon's discussion.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

MEG
CONGRATULATIONS
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
sanmilton

Post by sanmilton »

mattythewsjpuzzler wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:26 pm Anyone notice that the online clue said "puzzleS" and the PDF/print did not? Major clue
Yes. See my earlier post (#346, p. 18).