"City Blocks" - September 4, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

jag wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:13 pm On shore, hooray! I'm dating myself, but I fondly remember watching 3-D play in many Orioles games in the 1970s and early 80s. It was a good time to be an Orioles fan! (unlike, say, nowadays)
I can recall the four 20 game winners the O’s had one year, and I went through them all to get 3-D. Wow. Baseball’s heyday. Loved B.Robinson & always asked to play third growing up. Sadly, this week marked passing of Tom Seaver. All my heros. Still have many on Topps cards somewhere. I snuck a transistor radio with ear piece into 4th grade to listen to O’s v Mets World Series. Got away with it, too!
rolias

Post by rolias »

Nice of Mike to not make me labor this weekend.
ErikThor

Post by ErikThor »

Agreed that it was a quick solve. On shore and partaking in a growler of Oktoberfest.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Commodore wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:15 pm
jag wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:13 pm On shore, hooray! I'm dating myself, but I fondly remember watching 3-D play in many Orioles games in the 1970s and early 80s. It was a good time to be an Orioles fan! (unlike, say, nowadays)
I can recall the four 20 game winners the O’s had one year, and I went through them all to get 3-D. Wow. Baseball’s heyday. Loved B.Robinson & always asked to play third growing up. Sadly, this week marked passing of Tom Seaver. All my heros. Still have many on Topps cards somewhere. I snuck a transistor radio with ear piece into 4th grade to listen to O’s v Mets World Series. Got away with it, too!
As a lifelong Phillies fan, I remember many Steve Carlton / Tom Seaver duels. Ace vs Ace. Lefty vs Righty. Both were pitching geniuses and were great rivals. RIP Tom Terrific.
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

Confidently ashore! Cheers!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Especially Mike Cuellar - the others would beat you with power but he just junked you to death
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
zacmoretz

Post by zacmoretz »

This one seemed too easy! I hope it wasn’t supposed to be grilled!
TPS

Post by TPS »

When I lived in Houston I was fortunate enough to score seats behind home plate for Clemens/Maddux the first time they faced each other which was like the first time in forever that two active 300 game winners had faced each other. Maddux only allowed 2 hits through like 7 and both were oddly enough to Clemens and one of them was a triple if you can believe that!

That was the coolest baseball related thing I’d ever been to but was replaced in 2014 when I was at Tim Linecum’s 2nd no hitter.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well DARN, that took WAY longer than I thought it would. I was feeling super inadequate since most of the immediate world had solved it and I keep getting stuck with bigger and bigger rabbits, FINALLY it occurred to me what was going on and from there it was a quick swim towards shore. I'm not actually coming onto the beach, FAR too may people for social distancing, but if you would kindly float out a double of Weller's 12 year on the rocks I will gladly yell bon mots back and forth from my inflatable raft.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
SeanS

Post by SeanS »

I'm ashore, which means it'll be a crowded beach this weekend... nice to not feel like a 51A.

Never got to see 3D pitch in person unfortunately, but I was at Cal's 2131 game so I can't complain!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

DrTom wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:52 am Well DARN, that took WAY longer than I thought it would. I was feeling super inadequate since most of the immediate world had solved it and I keep getting stuck with bigger and bigger rabbits, FINALLY it occurred to me what was going on and from there it was a quick swim towards shore. I'm not actually coming onto the beach, FAR too may people for social distancing, but if you would kindly float out a double of Weller's 12 year on the rocks I will gladly yell bon mots back and forth from my inflatable raft.
With you gone, Isaac just closed the bar on the ship
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
boharr

Post by boharr »

I had such a lack of foresight that I agreed to start my first job out of college the week the 69 series began. Did the same with a transistor radio. Didn't get fired. RIP Tom Seaver.
beccacollins

Post by beccacollins »

Yay! On Shore! This is only #3 for me. Thanks, Mike, for one I could see pretty quickly!
Patty

Post by Patty »

I’ve joined the crowd on shore!
LaPetiteFlora

Post by LaPetiteFlora »

Ashore! Enjoyed the concept for this one :)
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Grid done. Working on the meta. Hoping for a solve after a few weeks on the ship 🚢!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

Re 3D:

Born in NYC to Irish immigrants.

Graduate of Scottsdale (AZ) High School.

Three Cy Young Awards, four Gold Gloves.

Jockey Shorts model.
Jack Sullivan
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good Saturday morning muggles

A quick reminder of the timing - there is no Monday WSJ so the official announcement of the answer and winner will not happen until Tuesday. However the solution will be posted here and on crosswordfiend.com after midnight Sunday

We have a bunch of new muggles bringing our total to 746. Welcome Powers2020, John Seeman, Mister Squawk, and KRM to our happy clan

We are closing in on our record of 209 as we have 197 on our very large shore. Our one on the ship is only there temporarily as she has just started the grid.

So now we test how many lines are allowed in a comment as our shore party is:
Spotter
Beth T
Beth A
hector
Al
Cindy
Meg
Wendy (happy birthday tomorrow)
Mark L
Heidi
Barbara K
Mike H
Andrew B
Tom Wi
Chris
Alan H
NuYear68
Les Y
Laura
Anita
RobM
paige11
damefox
David K
MikeM000
Moi
michaelm
ky-mike
Steveb
oldjudge
Jim and Anita
JoePickett
Homer
yourpalsal
OGuyDave
Glyn
higgysue
Toby
Softie
Mattythewsjpuzzler
Vincent
CallMeShane
TPS
SewYoung
Abide
Tony S
ronaldo
SusieG
Paul D
Kay
BillKatz
Joe R
tim1217
C=64
Scott M
Richard
Jean
Janet P
BrianMac
DBMiller
Jace54
Dow Jones
Orsys
ladybird
Nalugirl
M and M
Mary F
jimswim
martin
KRM
Joe
bskptkl
dplass
boharr
whimsy
Tmart
Blair
Emmajane
lbray53
yungchap
CynthiaJ
MajorDomoTom
LittleGood
Jeremy
sharkicicles
RDaleHall
Mmac
Jacksull
dudeski
joes
copperriver
Deb F
dk letter
cherikee
Commodore
Cap'n Rick
Inca
Bird Lives
Trey and Marion
scooby
Tom S
John77
sanmilton
stmv
tonyrobots
Dom
Lacangah
woozy
Miki
BeTheLight
FrankH
Hidden in 3D
meowmiao71
Schmeel - extra credit for anyone who is not familiar with US cities
cbarbee002
Jeff S
PJM
Geezer
FKelly
ALS
zacmoretz and Aunt Norma
Devilbunny
Wdunbar
Sean
Wordsmith
flyingMoose
garryu
MisterSquawk
ImOnToo
streroto
HeadInHome
Rita and George
Bill T
MaineMarge - and Happy Birthday to you too
Ed S
Daniel G
norrin2
Diane
ReB
John Seeman
the Thurman8er
elementary
Tina
Eric P
Cindy N
KscX
JRS51
Steve Beard
Doug C
Jackie88
asechres
femullen
Josh
BigMac
eagle1279
Janet
Grover
Gpiggies
halseymac
JimJim
EmilyW
WSJosh
scraps
Joedbee
Annabelle
LaceyK
Notbitter
BrianDavidson
AnswerPFinder
SusanG
RichA2
hunkra
Kris
jag
Plymouth Rock
Joel
Ann
Scott L
howardl
Jenirvin
diplomatt
Fred F
Powers2020
Matthew M
rolias
802puzzler
Phofer
ErikThor
Frenchy
RAD26
Gerry
DrTom
seans
beccacollins
LaPetiteFlora
and Patty

Have a great weekend muggles and stay safe
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
SilviaV

Post by SilviaV »

On shore!
boharr

Post by boharr »

SilviaV wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:46 pmOn shore!
Congrats!