"City Blocks" - September 4, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
edot

Post by edot »

On shore! Happy Labor Day weekend everyone! Not much labor involved for me in solving this week’s puzzle :)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

nkumar wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:04 pm I've been trying these for months and haven't gotten one yet. I was thrilled because i found a city name, but it's a lot longer than 5 letters! :-(
I'll bet you're on the right track though!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

nkumar wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:04 pm I've been trying these for months and haven't gotten one yet. I was thrilled because i found a city name, but it's a lot longer than 5 letters! :-(
Keep going
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BethA wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:22 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:14 pm
BethA wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:47 pm My freshman year college roommate admired 3D, and posted his underwear ad on the wall!
And what did you do?
Oh, I’m easy to get along with...I could put up with it. I didn’t tear it down or draw mustaches on it or anything! 😀
🤐 😖 🤬

(translation: "I've got a joke that I want to tell SO badly...")
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Colin

Post by Colin »

Safely ashore,
Minor delay,
Please start to pour,
Stone IPA.
Easy meta,
One has to say,
Makes for a better...
Happy Labor Day!
One world. One planet. One future.
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

For the grammarians in the group, I think you might enjoy this little piece from Jill Thomas Doyle https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 1066308588
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Cindy N wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:50 pm For the grammarians in the group, I think you might enjoy this little piece from Jill Thomas Doyle https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 1066308588
This is such fun,Cindy N!!
If I had any grandchildren, they could call me
Gram-Mar(ge) 🙋‍♀️
Grover

Post by Grover »

Cindy N wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:50 pm For the grammarians in the group, I think you might enjoy this little piece from Jill Thomas Doyle https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 1066308588
This is really cute even if you aren't an English major. Worth anyone's time.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

“An Oxford comma walks into a bar, where it spends the evening watching the television, getting drunk, and smoking cigars.
• A dangling participle walks into a bar. Enjoying a cocktail and chatting with the bartender, the evening passes pleasantly.
• A bar was walked into by the passive voice.
• An oxymoron walked into a bar, and the silence was deafening.
• Two quotation marks walk into a “bar.”
• A malapropism walks into a bar, looking for all intensive purposes like a wolf in cheap clothing, muttering epitaphs and casting dispersions on his magnificent other, who takes him for granite.
• Hyperbole totally rips into this insane bar and absolutely destroys everything.
• A question mark walks into a bar?
• A non sequitur walks into a bar. In a strong wind, even turkeys can fly.
• Papyrus and Comic Sans walk into a bar. The bartender says, "Get out -- we don't serve your type."
• A mixed metaphor walks into a bar, seeing the handwriting on the wall but hoping to nip it in the bud.
• A comma splice walks into a bar, it has a drink and then leaves.
• Three intransitive verbs walk into a bar. They sit. They converse. They depart.
• A synonym strolls into a tavern.
• At the end of the day, a cliché walks into a bar -- fresh as a daisy, cute as a button, and sharp as a tack.
• A run-on sentence walks into a bar it starts flirting. With a cute little sentence fragment.
• Falling slowly, softly falling, the chiasmus collapses to the bar floor.
• A figure of speech literally walks into a bar and ends up getting figuratively hammered.
• An allusion walks into a bar, despite the fact that alcohol is its Achilles heel.
• The subjunctive would have walked into a bar, had it only known.
• A misplaced modifier walks into a bar owned by a man with a glass eye named Ralph.
• The past, present, and future walked into a bar. It was tense.
• A dyslexic walks into a bra.
• A verb walks into a bar, sees a beautiful noun, and suggests they conjugate. The noun declines.
• A simile walks into a bar, as parched as a desert.
• A gerund and an infinitive walk into a bar, drinking to forget.
• A hyphenated word and a non-hyphenated word walk into a bar and the bartender nearly chokes on the irony.”
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Colin

Post by Colin »

This was fun, thank you for sharing! Here’s a couple more...
  • An exclamation that doesn’t like to be quoted walks into a bar and says ouch!
  • A person from Pisa leaned on the bar
Good grief! Figuring out how to have a bulleted list with one bullet italicized on this platform was like a 5-star meta! It sparked off another one...
  • A bullet walks into a bar. By the time it walked out, it had a bit of a list.
One world. One planet. One future.
Beth C

Post by Beth C »

Safely ashore again this week. Quickly completed the grid and solved the meta quickly Friday evening but I'm just getting around to posting here.
I wish every Muggle luck in their efforts to obtain the coveted mug!
Martin

Post by Martin »

Across Lite solvers:

Will Johnston's Puzzle Pointers page ( https://www.fleetingimage.com/wij/xyzzy/nyt-links.html ) is back online.

But I will continue to maintain http://herbach.dnsalias.com/wsj/contest.puz to serve the latest Friday puzzle for those who want to bookmark a one-click option.

I've also created https://tinyurl.com/mugglespuz which gets it too.
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

Here’s another:

A plural walks into an enoteca and orders one panini.
Jack Sullivan
anjhinz

Post by anjhinz »

On shore!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning muggles

We are in uncharted territory as we have a new record of 210 on the shore and 2 keeping Isaac company. We also have our newest muggles nkumar and SilviaV.

Since yesterday we have had the following making it to the shore
SilviaV
PQ63
Geoduck
Amy
LLinNC
edot
Gman
JAQT
AnnP
Colin
anjhjinz
and Beth C

I wonder if Mike gave us an easy one to soften us up for the Thursday discussion
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Just not on the right wavelength this week, simple or not. Will push on!🤞Isaac, a glass of Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand and a bowl of bar munchies to keep me going!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
DaveWa

Post by DaveWa »

I'm joining the record crowd on shore. I hope the tiki bar has Zipline Kölsch on tap.
flamingbear

Post by flamingbear »

I'm with Isaac still. just reprinted and will dig in.
Matt / Flamingbear
boharr

Post by boharr »

flamingbear wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:05 pm I'm with Isaac still. just reprinted and will dig in.
You'll get it.
MatthewB

Post by MatthewB »

Still on the ship.. Though my brother and sister in law got it quickly. May ask them for a nudge... Obviously I'm not seeing the forest for the trees...