"We're In This Together" - August 28, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

On shore and relaxing. Very nicely done puzzle by Matt!
Jace54

Post by Jace54 »

On shore, hopefully a start of a new streak after missing last week!
geeteebee

Post by geeteebee »

Very odd question but maybe somebody here can help:

I'm on a laptop and when I open the puzzle to do online, the box that gives the clue is superimposed over the puzzle and is so big that the 'X' is hidden to make it disappear. I haven't figured out how to reduce the size of the box so I can get to the puzzle. The box won't scroll up or down.

Any ideas?
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

geeteebee wrote: โ†‘Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:16 pm Very odd question but maybe somebody here can help:

I'm on a laptop and when I open the puzzle to do online, the box that gives the clue is superimposed over the puzzle and is so big that the 'X' is hidden to make it disappear. I haven't figured out how to reduce the size of the box so I can get to the puzzle. The box won't scroll up or down.

Any ideas?
Paper. Lol!
Jim and Anita

Post by Jim and Anita »

Ashore. This was a fun one. Thanks for the good time Matt.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Lord - that Grid kicked my butt. After 10 minutes at what I thought might be a pretty simple meta - Not a freaking clue. Gonna go for a run and see if that helps.

Also, did Matt make a typo in 72A - Should that be "answers" instead of "clues"? If it is a typo and it relates to the meta - its a pretty big one IMO.
Last edited by TPS on Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

๐Ÿ
Hector

Post by Hector »

geeteebee wrote: โ†‘Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:16 pm Any ideas?
I hope the WSJ guys will notice your bug report. That popup should be dismissible with the ESC key.

To answer your question, though, try closing the browser tab (CTRL-W if it's a PC), and reopening it (right-mouse-menu in the tab bar). I think it only automatically opens the prompt popup the first time you open the puzzle.
Last edited by Hector on Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geeteebee

Post by geeteebee »

Cindy wrote: โ†‘Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:16 pm
geeteebee wrote: โ†‘Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:16 pm Very odd question but maybe somebody here can help:

Any ideas?
Paper. Lol!
What is this paper you speak of?

May have to resort to that.
JPMalone

Post by JPMalone »

Saw land early but struggled ashore
geeteebee

Post by geeteebee »

Hector wrote: โ†‘Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:27 pm
geeteebee wrote: โ†‘Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:16 pm Any ideas?
I hope the WSJ guys will notice your bug report. That popup should be dismissible with the ESC key.

To answer your question, though, try closing the browser tab (CTRL-W if it's a PC), and reopening it (right-mouse-menu in the tab bar). I think it only automatically opens the prompt popup the first time you open the puzzle.
Thank you for the suggestion but, alas, no luck. I think you are right that the popup only appears once...as long as you X out of it.
Tina

Post by Tina »

On shore! That was a good one! Had trouble at 32A and 33D -- never heard of either of those words.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Glad to have the mojo back and sand between the toes! 100%er - say no more.

Guinness, please!

My best thoughts to any Muggles remotely close to the path of Laura. Be safe!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Hector

Post by Hector »

TPS wrote: โ†‘Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:22 pm Also, did Matt make a typo in 72A - Should that be "answers" instead of "clues"? If it is a typo and it relates to the meta - its a pretty big one IMO.
There's no typo.
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are on shore with the Muggles - early! Great to be in the sand early! Joint rowing today and very relaxed for the weekend!!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

TPS wrote: โ†‘Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:22 pm Lord - that Grid kicked my butt. After 10 minutes at what I thought might be a pretty simple meta - Not a freaking clue. Gonna go for a run and see if that helps.

Also, did Matt make a typo in 72A - Should that be "answers" instead of "clues"? If it is a typo and it relates to the meta - its a pretty big one IMO.
No error
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Any ideas?
Link to 202007828 WSJCC We're in this Together
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

I have step 1 but no land in sight...
Anita

Post by Anita »

On shore! We ate lunch outdoors today while solving. Lovely weather.
RobM

Post by RobM »

Quick trip to the shore for me this week