"We're In This Together" - August 28, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Eric Porter wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:39 pm
MikeMillerwsj wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:21 pm We had 1478 entries, about 78% correct. A big showing for PICKENS (why?) with 33, plus a distinguished gallery of other magnates including GATES (28), HUGHES (16), BRANSON (15), MORGAN (14), BUFFETT (13) and many others.
The only thing I can think of is that T. Boone Pickens is an Oklahoman, which you see in 17A. Metas don't typically work like that, but if you're taking a shot in the dark, why not?

It would have been funny if the answer was Carnegie this time, but some people submitted Mellon.
My first thought when I answered OKLAHOMAN was T. Boone, also. Too obvious for a meta.
TPS

Post by TPS »

SusieG wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:45 pm

My first thought when I answered OKLAHOMAN was T. Boone, also. Too obvious for a meta.
Same.
zacmoretz

Post by zacmoretz »

I really wanted to go with Sam Walton initially, especially when I saw the word CHEAP going down the middle, then looked him up and saw that he was originally from Oklahoma! How much farther from Coco Chanel can you get? 😀 This proved definitively to me that Matt at least definitely throws in red herrings deliberately.