"Less and Less" - August 21, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:45 pm Baffled. I blame (1) my new eyeglasses and (2) the fact that one of the answers refers to a neighbor's ex-husband! I will see if doing some mowing inspires me.
Wendy, if you're not inspired after mowing your lawn, come and mow mine too!
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

It is strange how things work out. I am sitting at an all time high #4 on MGWCC today, but my 14 week WSJ streak is on the line as I still have no clue on Less And less. Cannot figure out what the title is referring to, hopefully when that clicks the solve will follow.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Janet wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:53 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:45 pm Baffled. I blame (1) my new eyeglasses and (2) the fact that one of the answers refers to a neighbor's ex-husband! I will see if doing some mowing inspires me.
1. I actually WAS inspired and am now happily sipping a cold drink on shore; and
2. I would be happy to mow your lawn! I actually enjoy it! BTW, what are you cooking for supper?
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

boharr wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:55 pm
Glasses? Wasn't that last weeK?
HAHA! I solved last week's puzzle without too much trouble even with my seriously beat-up old specs. This one, however, took me quite a while!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Homer Buckle

Post by Homer Buckle »

Went down my fruitless rabbit holes, but am now happily ashore.
Joe

Post by Joe »

The first meta I ever solved was MGWCC #083 on 1/10/2010. So, you know, kinda been around the block a few times. I come here (if I can't solve immediately) just to get a sense of difficulty. Came here for the verdict: pretty damn easy. I see nothing. Nothing. I'm hoping for post-enlightenment. I'll let you know. BTW, this week's Gaffney: nothing.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
brulo

Post by brulo »

LAS could use a nudge if anyone can help. Thanks!
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

JordanianTomlinson wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:03 am Ashore! That was a fun construction and nice “aha” moment. Too early for alcohol. How about a cold brew?
I like coffee as much as most anyone, but when I hear "cold brew" I think alcohol.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

BTW, add me to the very sparsely populated bar with Isaac. I'm not seeing the shore at all.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
Alec

Post by Alec »

On shore. Fun one! Certainly a satisfying AHA moment.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

TPS wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:56 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:54 pm WSJ is hosting a crossword Q&A with Mike Miller, Mike Shenk, and Matt Gaffney, September 10 & 17 at 3PM

https://www.wsjplus.com/invites/wsj-crosswords-event

Not sure if you have to be registered or be a subscriber to watch, but it doesn't really look like it.
That’s funny - I suggested to Matt he and Mike should host a Weekly Crossword Podcast!
Do you ever listen to the Fill Me In podcast? (That is a crossword podcast.) I started listening in January, when I learned they were doing a meta contest. Pre-covid, I played it at double speed and was mainly listening to get the password to be able to enter the contest. In March, when I was suddenly doing lots more walking because I couldn't go to the gym and needed stuff to listen to, I found myself playing it at normal speed and downloading it as soon as it came out. Not sure if that means it's an acquired taste, or my brain has slowed down, or they've gotten more interesting :)
RichA2

Post by RichA2 »

So long for now, Isaac. I’m on the shore, for the first time ever. Fun solve.
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

I hadn't come to the forums until after I solved this time. It was an absolute d'oh! moment. Then I got to Dame Fox's comment and was really glad I hadn't just taken a sip of coffee right then!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Solved but only with two HUGE shoves towards shore. Not a fan of this mechanism, which was used a LOT in 2019.
brulo

Post by brulo »

On shore after a nudge, embarrassing that the mechanism involved was something i abandoned early. Neat puzzle!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Still With Isaac, Bob. Sitting at a back table as the bar seems to be set too high for me tonight. 🙋‍♀️
Janet

Post by Janet »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:30 pm
Janet wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:53 pm
1. I actually WAS inspired and am now happily sipping a cold drink on shore; and
2. I would be happy to mow your lawn! I actually enjoy it! BTW, what are you cooking for supper?
Chicken and corn on the cob!
bskptkl

Post by bskptkl »

Solved it. Nice one.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I’m at the bar again. Out of town, so solving it on my grid paper. Feel foolish that it hasn’t jumped out at me, based on the comments I’ve seen. ;)
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

An absolutely classic aha moment. After poring over the grid and chasing the wrong rabbit in the wrong hole for way too long, sitting out by the pool listening to some 90s alt tunes and sipping wine it just hit me like a lightning bolt. I literally jumped up to go get the grid and finish.

Ashore fo sho!

Stay well all